Zoey_Crumpton1984
frankfurter50

Banning romance novels at school

Zoey_Crumpton1984 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 2 years ago Status: Debating Period

Zoey_Crumpton1984

Con

I am against banning romance novels at school because it is only a problem if it has been acted out or anything related to what happens in the book. If kids start using inappropriate jokes and references from the book, then the school should take upon themselves to discipline or punish those specific students. Let's say you loved romance novels but you never have to time to read it at home, so the only place you can read it at is at school. It wouldn't be fair to you if all you wanted is read your book but because of last mistakes of others you never knew, you couldn't read the book.
frankfurter50

Pro

I don't think romance novels are necessary to adolescent survival, and if romance novels are distraction to productive work, then they should by all means be banned by schools experiencing the problem of romance novel distraction. I think romance novels are sloppy mush, and they distort the minds of many youngsters. I've never heard about students acting out their romance novels, but I think romance novels pose a problem even if they don't act the books out. If the kids are behind their desk reading about sordid passionate love when they should be doing a 50-step calculus problem, then the school should be responsible for taking those books away. I don't know how a person could ever get hooked on something stupid like romance novels, but if they are spreading like an epidemic then we should end that epidemic. If kids are interested in literature, they can take an English class and read much better books than romance novels.

You bring up the hypothetical situation of a student not having enough time to read a book at home, and only having time to read the novel at school. I'd argue there is no time at school to read sloppy mush, only for work, and the time AFTER SCHOOL should be used to read stupid things. and what on Earth do you mean by "Last mistakes of others?" What does that even mean? If you're slacking to read some sordid mush, you're the only one making a mistake. I think you're using the logical fallacy of appeal to emotion there.
Zoey_Crumpton1984

Con

Ok. So the 50-step calculus problem comment, that could be any book. And I also think that you are applying some of your emotions. You are making it sound like because some people don't like romance novels, they should all be banned. But there are lots of other people that do enjoy them.
"And what on Earth do you mean by 'Last mistakes of others?' What does that even mean?"
First of all, most rules in the world today are made because someone made that mistake. Let's use the example of the dress code saying you are not allowed to wear tank tops at school. That rule was made because of someone mistake that was made. Whether it's the problem of the shirt showing too much skin or the straps kept falling off a students shoulder. It was a mistake to wear it.
No romance novels are not necessary for survival. I never said that. And if high schoolers (which are old enough to live on their own and take care of themselves) are "youngsters" then why are they doing stuff like going to parties or staying up until 2am on school night and everything normal High School students do at any given point in the day? There are more grades levels and ages that are in school. A) if the parent reads through the book first, it shouldn't be a problem unless the parent things it is inappropriate. And B) if the parents don't know that their son or daughter is reading a book they named inappropriate and said the kid was not allowed to read the parents should be notified by staff or other students so that it does not cause a issue.
frankfurter50

Pro

I agree, a 50 step calculus problem could potentially be any book. But I was using that as a hypothetical example, there's nothing wrong with using hypothetical examples. I am applying some of my emotions, but applying emotion to an argument is not the same as committing the logical fallacy of appeal to emotion, also known as the appeal to pity- the use of a pity or sadness-inducing hypothetical anecdote to garner attention. I suggest you study up on your logical fallacies. You use yet another logical fallacy in your next sentence- when you state that I hate romance novels, but many other people enjoy romance novels. You're using the bandwagon fallacy there. Just because many other people besides me enjoy romance novels does not in any way mean that they are correct or justified in doing so. It simply means that their minds are gullible and can be brainwashed by big publishing companies wishing to make a quick buck.

Most rules in the world today are made because somebody made a mistake in the past, and rules are created so that mistake will not be REPEATED. Slavery used to be legal, but we outlawed it because it was a tremendous practice, and we keep that law going because it prevents humans from being bought and sold as property. Rules remain so that they can be observed. If one kid in a school is distracted from his work by a romance novel, then the school will likely ban the reading of romance novels because they pose a potential distraction to the process of education. And any kid who goes there in the future will have to refrain from reading romance novels because the school wants less attention on the passionate love of fictional characters and more attention on things like calculus and algebra. if a kid wears a tank top and it slips, then the school will likely ban tank tops. Or they might not even ban tank tops because of one person's past mistake, they might simply ban them because they find them offensive. Same goes for murder- it was not the actions of one individual which caused murder to be outlawed, but simply the concept that murder was ghastly.

You never said that romance novels are necessary for survival, but you did somewhat imply that by bringing up a highly specific anecdote about a kid who simply must read a romance novel or she'll die. Seriously, you put way too much unnecessary drama into that. It's a book, not an income tax form. I don't think high schoolers are quite old enough to live on their own and take care of themselves, which is exactly why rules such as a ban on romance novels are enforced. You might think teenagers could be self-sustaining, but most adults disagree, and your viewpoint on how capable a teenager is to run society might be influenced by the fact that you belong to that age group. I'd say that teenagers wouldn't be able to run society judging by the nature of your argument, which has grammatical errors and a lack of commas in many, many places. But that's an off-topic ad-hominem, so I'll get back on topic.

For more information on how teenagers could potentially run the world if they were given the opportunity, check out Roger Korman's 1970 film Gas, and observe the results, then interpret them for yourself.

Things like parties and staying up until 2 am on school nights are exactly why there's so much cause for concern. Staying up until 2 am on a school night is detrimental to your mental and physical health. Sleep deprivation is not a wise choice if you wish to succeed academically. I wouldn't say going to parties until 2 am is normal, I'd call it a rebellious act.

The parent reading through the book first is one part of it. The other part is whether romance novels are banned or not at the school. And if a kid reads a romance novel without permission, then by all means things should happen immediately. I don't know what anybody finds in romance novels, I thought they went out of fashion after the Vietnam war and the collapse of 1950s McCarthyist America.