ShouldBePresident96
THAT_Debater

Being Transgender is having/experiencing a mental illness and/or disability

THAT_Debater has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

ShouldBePresident96

Pro

Not agreeing with the gender you are born with is a mental disability and/or illness. If you have a penis you are male and a boy. If you have a vagina you are female and a girl. The whole genderfluid, non-binary thing is illogical. Even if you are a transgender, there are two options, male or female.
THAT_Debater

Con

While I personally think being transgender is wrong that is my belief. Yes we are all born male or female, however some people think that it is morally and physically right to be transgender. With that in mind, let's look at why my opponents statement is wrong.

It all depends on your viewpoint. For example, from a Biblical viewpoint, being transgender is wrong and corrupting the body God gave you. On the other hand, some people think nature messed up and you're in the right to "fix" it. Some people don't care. It all depends on who you ask. For some people, it isn't a mental illness or disability. It's a correction to fit your personality to some people. That's why my opponents statement is wrong. We can't assume that they're messed up in the head. For them it's perfectly ok.

My second argument is the fact that being transgender isn't an illness or disability. Compare this to an actual illness or disability, that impedes your ability to think correctly. Being transgender doesn't do this. It's not a means of stopping your ability to think correctly, it's an incorrect mindset to start with. There's a difference between a incorrect mindset, and a mental illness and/or disability.

My final argument of this round closely related to my second one. You don't hear people saying "That guy was diagnosed with transgenders disease." Because that's not what it is. As I said, it's just an incorrect mindset.

Thank You.
ShouldBePresident96

Pro

It is a mental illness. I am not saying people shouldn't undergo operations, if you want to go under the knife and get a sex change it is up to you, it is a free country. It doesn't affect me personally. However, after talking multiple psychology and sociology classes, I believe it is a mental illness and people should recognize it as such. It is the reason why President Trump attempting to prevent transgenders from being in or joining the military as a lot of people who are transgender require testosterone or other hormone injections in order to function properly without having mental breakdowns or anxiety attacks. People with severe anxiety cannot join the military if they are reliant on medicine to avoid attacks, most people with other mental illnesses are barred from it as well as they are RELIANT on medication.

Gender Dysphoria is recognized by the DSM-5, a common tool for diagnosing mental illnesses. "In adolescents and adults gender dysphoria diagnosis involves a difference between one"s experienced/expressed gender and assigned gender, and significant distress or problems functioning. " (https://www.psychiatry.org...)
Posted by thatbean 2 years ago
thatbean
I don't see any reason why being transgender should be seen as a mental illness or a disability. According to the National Geographic special on Gender, Actual scientists did studies on how people's brains and formed and shaped. The brains of a man and of a woman show various differences; it is clear they are distinguishable. Next they looked at scans of a transgendered person's brain. Do you know what they found? They found that a transgender person's brain most closely resembled the brain of which they say they are. Not a 100% match, Of course, But distinctively more male than female or vice versa. So if a woman was assigned male at birth because she had a penis and they scanned her brain, They would find her to have a brain shape mostly resembling a woman's. The brain shape grows even closer to the gender they say they are once hormonal therapy starts.

Furthermore, It isn't your body. It isn't your brain or your own experiences. Nobody can match up their own life experiences with another person's, So it is best by moral standards to simply let them live their life if they aren't hurting anybody, Because you can't always relate and you can't always say what is right or wrong. The fact also remains that sociologists and other professionals like social therapists and researchers say that there is more than one gender, Because gender is a spectrum ranging from male to female and everything in between and not an option between two choices. However, The sex that a person is born remains either male or female (or possibly both, If you are intersex), Because sex refers to a person's reproductive system and secondary sex characteristics. The Oxford English Dictionary states, "Either of the two sexes (male and female), Especially when considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones. The term is also used more broadly to denote a range of identities that do not correspond to established views of male and female. "
Posted by ShouldBePresident96 3 years ago
ShouldBePresident96
@Nodogma

I haven"t said at all that they come out for attention. I frankly do not care if people are transgender I even have a transgender friend myself. I do believe though that it is a mental illness. It isn"t a natural thing to just decide that you are not what you are born. I"m not saying being a girl who likes your stereotypical boy things or being a boy who likes stereotypical girl to things is a mental illness, that would be a natural thing, everyone has different interest, however denying your gender/sex is a mental illness. You can literally analyze the chromosomes to see your gender/sex. People need to recognize that it is a mental illness and stop trying to protect feelings. It"s just like people with anxiety, it"s a mental illness but you still treat them like human beings.
Posted by nodogma 3 years ago
nodogma
I have a nephew who is transgender. We have communicated many times since he/she came out, and I have visited her/him twice face to face since he/she came out. I do not think anything is wrong with my nephew. She said these sexual feelings came about the time puberty hit. I know his mother and father very well and they have always seemed normal to me; so is her brother. She was rejected by her family when she first came out and most of the small town community where she was from. There is no reason for a transgender or lesbian or gay person to come out for attention since many are rejected, beat up or sometimes murdered. It seems to me that the only reason they come out is for people to accept them for who they truly are. Since I have visited her and discussed the issue on facebook, some of her family has accepted her, but it has taken them a long time. I do not think it is an illness; it is just who they are.

Also, she is one of the most intelligent people I know; far more intelligent than most of the discussions I've read about those who judge people like her. Understanding is work
Posted by Snazzy 3 years ago
Snazzy
Con provides weak arguments. People suffered from clinical depression before there was a diagnosis for it, that doesn't mean it's not a disorder. When compared with other ailments that infringe on thinking ability, con says that transgenderism does not do "this" without saying what "this" is.