Erenyeager32
LOL98700z

Being realistic is more logical than being optimistic

Erenyeager32

Pro

Being optimistic just let's you view only positive aspects of life or anything, Which in times of crisis/ a problem, May lead us to ignore the crisis which can later cause various problems. But being realistic, You view both the negative and positive aspects of life, Which can help you bring the proper solution of the problem you are facing.
LOL98700z

Con

Since we are debating a topic about logic and optimistic, I am going to use my good old friend Merriam Webster Dictionary:
According to Merriam Webster Dictionary:
Logical means:
capable of reasoning or of using reason in an orderly cogent fashion; a logical thinker
while Optimistic means:
feeling or showing hope for the future
Realistic means:
based on what is real rather than on what is wanted or hoped for : not impractical or visionary
Finally, Optimism:
an inclination to put the most favorable construction upon actions and events or to anticipate the best possible outcome;

I might be wrong in the eye of Tholht, Omar2345 and many others, But in my point of view, Being logical and being realistic is very different. While thinking with logic is indeed wise for many situation, Realistic is no less logical nor more logical than being optimistic. Being realistic simply means you are without dreams, And only concentrating on present. Obviously, This is very different from what you are suggesting and what the world is telling us.

What is wrong with being Optimistic? Being Optimistic is great! It give you a purpose, A goal to chase for in life. While being realistic is to choose the best choice in the present, Not concerning in the future. If everyone should be realistic, Since it would be more logical, Won't government officials simply taking bribes because it is the best solution in the present? Judges accepting money because it is the most profit way? Civil Servants campaigning only for large industry giants because what is the point of helping low-income people while they get rich? If everyone becomes realistic because of it having more logic, Our society would cease to exist. The only reason the society was kept together, Was those young, Ambitious, Still naive in your opinion, University graduates who still have dreams to serve others, To make this society a better place. In truth, If people are without optimism, The world will become a cold and emotionless world.
Erenyeager32

Pro

Well, You do have a point. I was trying to refer to extreme optimism where your kid is not even allowed to play first person shooter games or watch action movies(like any Marvel movie)/ TV shows when parents are in your room, Because they "damage the peace in the mind" or hang humorous posters but they say to remove it and hang something "positive" instead. But seems like I have failed badly. But those mentioned things do happen to me.
LOL98700z

Con

My Opponent talks about "extreme optimism" that refers to parenting issue. However, Is that really what Extreme Optimism means? According to Dictionary. Com, Extreme optimism might be best described by a word: Panglossian, Which means:
"characterized by or given to extreme optimism, Especially in the face of unrelieved hardship or adversity. "
- "Panglossian. " Dictionary. Com, Dictionary. Com, Www. Dictionary. Com/browse/panglossian.

Clearly, My opponent did not answer the question correctly. The true answer is, The point my opponent gave is called Parenting Issue. The parents always thought they gave the best advice. Despite in many ways they don't, My opponent's argument is still not related to the topic.
Erenyeager32

Pro

Alright, Back to your first argument. Optimism is like just a one way of seeing things. It is only the one side of the Morality Coin. And I did not say that "everyone" has to be realistic, It is an opinion that I promote Realism over Optimism, But it doesn't mean that EVERYONE has to be realistic. A balance of two opposing sides is needed for the world to run properly.

Let's say you bring a criminal (who has done a number of crimes) to a court, Now, In our this court, Everyone is an optimist except the criminal, Of course. When it comes to announcing his crimes, Wouldn't the optimists tend to view the positive aspects of his life? Now, As you said and I quote, " Optimistic means showing hope for the future. " We'll get back to the optimists later, Now let's switch the optimists into realists. Being a realist you see both the sides of the Morality Coin and the criminal. Therefore, You as a realistic judge, Will view the criminal as not only a normal human (that optimists might; hoping he may be a good person if given a second chance, But not every person is the same), But as a threat to the society (pessimism). Now, If a judge views only positive expects of everything, How will he/she make a proper judgement? Being a realist you see both, The pros AND the cons. Suppose you buy a car, But before buying, You ask them only the pros of it, Like the car's excellent features, But not that for how many years the car will be durable and will be functioning as exactly as on the day you bought it, Then what's really the profit in buying it? Or suppose not asking anything about it's insurance. . . Realism is a set of facts while optimism is a set of only "good stuff". If all the people on the Earth were optimistic, Nobody would mourn when someone would die, We would totally ignore natural disasters and the world would be in chaos without even itself being aware of it.
LOL98700z

Con

(PS: This debate is as good as won. Vote Con! )
Anyway, The Pro side gave a very weird argument indeed. Arguing that Optimists will only look at good sides. Since when did the Optimism had taken such an explanation? Well, I guess from you then. As my opponent had quoted, I said "Optimistic means showing hope for the future. " What the heck has that have to do with judging people? Being Optimistic doesn't influence one's judgement of another, And that is simply as good as done.

What is being Optimistic? Being Optimistic is to have a better outlook for life. My opponent failed to provide any evidence or argument that shows being Optimism is bad. Being Optimistic is to have a better altitude in life, Not to looking toward every good thing in anybody's life. Perhaps one scenario I am going to provide here is going nail it: Suppose we have a panel of Optimistic personnel who are judging Japanese war criminals who had committed horrible crimes in the Nanking Massacre. Will these people look at the positive side? No, Because all evidence shows that they have done terrible wrongs. How are they different from realist panels? I will say, None.

Overall, Being optimistic and being realistic is both a person's choice to view their life. There is no better or worser, It is simply a kind of trait people have taken on. Pro side/my Opponent twists words into unconceivable scenarios, And that is regrettable as I hope for a better debate.
Erenyeager32

Pro

Erenyeager32 forfeited this round.
LOL98700z

Con

I also forfeit this round to give my opponent a chance.
Erenyeager32

Pro

Erenyeager32 forfeited this round.
Posted by Chief_Sunboyz 3 years ago
Chief_Sunboyz
pro really messed up on their opening claim. Could've made a much stronger point by clarifying "extreme optimism" as well as providing definitions :/