PointProven
Leaning

Believing in God is no different than believing in the tooth fairy

Argument Due
We are waiting for Leaning to post their argument for round #3. If you are Leaning, login to see your options.
Updated: 5 hours ago Status: Debating Period

PointProven

Pro

Seeing as there is just as little proof of God as there is of the tooth fairy, It really isn't that much of a stretch to say that believing in God is just as absurd as believing in the tooth fairy.
Leaning

Con

Eh, If belief in a deity was no different than belief in a tooth fairy, Then there would be far fewer people who believe in deities. As there are not far fewer people who believe in deities, Believing in a deity is different than believing in the tooth fairy.
PointProven

Pro

When I said they are the same thing, I didn't mean in the literal sense. I meant, As far as logic goes, They are no different. The point I made was that they both lack any sort of evidence, Therefore believing in a god is equally as foolish as believing in the tooth fairy. And it doesn't just have to be the tooth fairy, This argument can be made about most anything for which there is no proof. You can say it about Santa Clause, Dragons, Goblins, Ghosts, Trolls or whatever you want.

Also, Just like a couple people said in the comments, You used an argument known as "ad populum fallacy". Just because more people believe in a god than the tooth fairy, Doesn't make a god any more real or provable.
Leaning

Con

Hrm, I don't think I made an ad populum fallacy, But ah well.

Definition of evidence
: an outward sign : indication
: something that furnishes proof : testimony
specifically : something legally submitted to a tribunal to ascertain the truth of a matter
: one who bears witness
especially : one who voluntarily confesses a crime and testifies for the prosecution against one's accomplices
in evidence
: to be seen : conspicuous

Definition of testimony
: a solemn declaration usually made orally by a witness under oath in response to interrogation by a lawyer or authorized public official
: firsthand authentication of a fact : evidence
: an outward sign
: an open acknowledgment
: a public profession of religious experience
: the tablets inscribed with the Mosaic law
: the ark containing the tablets
: a divine decree attested in the Scriptures

https://www. Merriam-webster. Com/dictionary/evidence
https://www. Merriam-webster. Com/dictionary/testimony

There were individuals who wrote different parts of the bible, Were there not? Were parts of the bible not historical writings? Perhaps you consider the bible poor evidence/testimony. But it kind of looks like evidence/testimony none the less.

I am unfamiliar myself with what types of reasons deists other than Christians have. But perhaps that will be delved into later.
I don't recall meeting any adults who believe in the Tooth Fairy, Santa, Dragons, Goblins, Ghosts, Trolls or whatever you want. Well, At least any current time period adults. Then again, I've know a few people here and there to claim to believe in Big Foot. Hmm, Anyway, Do vast numbers of people not believe in deities because they can find evidence for them still? Far more evidence than they find for Dragons, Goblins, Ghosts, Trolls or whatever you want?
PointProven

Pro

You most certainly used the ad populum fallacy.

"If belief in a deity was no different than belief in a tooth fairy, Then there would be far fewer people who believe in deities."

This is your quote in which you quite literally made the claim that god is different from the tooth fairy simply because more people believe in him. The ad populum fallacy is when someone claims something to be validated because of how many people share that belief. So yeah, you did use ad populum.

"Definition of evidence
: an outward sign : indication
: something that furnishes proof : testimony"

Thanks for defining evidence for me, I really needed that. Moving on.

"There were individuals who wrote different parts of the bible, Were there not? Were parts of the bible not historical writings? Perhaps you consider the bible poor evidence/testimony. But it kind of looks like evidence/testimony none the less."

Right, but you see, I believe that the people who wrote the bible were mentally ill. If someone nowadays went around talking about how they see things that aren't there and talk to magical beings that no one sees but them, we would throw them in a loony bin immediately. Unfortunately, loony bins weren't a thing back then so we just let these people go around spreading their fairy tales and people were stupid enough to believe it, and thus religion is created. Every person that believed that god was speaking to them while they were writing the bible was crazy. They were completely nuts. That's it.

"I don't recall meeting any adults who believe in the Tooth Fairy, Santa, Dragons, Goblins, Ghosts, Trolls or whatever you want. "

Right but you know plenty of adults who believe in the magical fairy man who lives in the clouds and grants you wishes or whatever it is you people believe. His name is God and adults all over the world believe in him, and he is basically a glorified tooth fairy.

"Do vast numbers of people not believe in deities because they can find evidence for them still? Far more evidence than they find for Dragons, Goblins, Ghosts, Trolls or whatever you want?"

Well, no. That's actually the whole point of this debate. I'm not here to argue about whether or not god exists, I'm just saying that god has no evidence, much like the tooth fairy. With all the theories of God's creation, you could just as easily say "a wizard did it" and it would make just as much sense.
Posted by PointProven 5 hours ago
PointProven
I've already mentioned this but I suppose you don't read. In my argument "Believing in God is no different than believing in the tooth fairy", I don't mean that in the literal sense. Obviously there are a few differences, I already knew that. What I'm saying is, as far as evidence goes, they are identical. They both lack any sort of proof, and in that way, they are the same.
Posted by missmedic 1 day ago
missmedic
There is evidences of the tooth fairy, Look under the pillow.
Posted by Leaning 1 day ago
Leaning
I suppose it was I should have said you stated a difference and then claimed there was no difference. Although you also state a difference after when you said.
"Con fails to understand that when you have hundreds of generations of foolish beliefs being passed down via writings and in most cases child indoctrination from the moment of birth, That your going to end up with populations of people who actauly believe these things. " heh, You misspelled actually, Don't feel bad, I misspell too at times.

By what I assume is your logic. The longer something has been written and passed down and told to children, The more likely people are to believe it. Has the bible and the tale of the tooth fairy been around the same length of time? Or been passed down with as much frequency? If not. . . . . That would be a difference.
Posted by Leaning 1 day ago
Leaning
When did I put words in your mouth?
Posted by WhoPutYouOnThePlanet 1 day ago
WhoPutYouOnThePlanet
"There is no difference between believing in the tooth fairy and a religious deity"

"Hmm, So first you say there is no difference between God and the Tooth Fairy, Then you proceed to state a difference. "

Learn to read and don't put words in my mouth
Posted by Leaning 1 day ago
Leaning
Seriously, All these people. I'm sure someone next is going to complain that my beer example is something physical unlike Tooth Fairy or deity. Are the actions people take due to their beliefs not physical? And do people not base their beliefs off of physical actions?
How are the actions of men across thousands of years in labor and love to their religions or beliefs not physical?
Posted by Leaning 1 day ago
Leaning
@WhoPutYouOnThePlanet
"when it comes to a child believing in the tooth fairy and a religitard believing in extraordinary claims without extraordinary evidence, The child usually grows up. . " Hmm, So first you say there is no difference between God and the Tooth Fairy, Then you proceed to state a difference. Believers in God tend to last into adulthood while believers of the Tooth Fairy tend to not. I suppose you could claim this is a difference in the people rather than the deity or Tooth Fairy themselves, But if they were exactly the same, Wouldn't they inspire a similar amount of belief/number in people? Or be interchangeable?
If the Christian deity and the Islamic deity were 'exactly the same, There would hardly be any strife between the worshipper I would think (maybe).
Beer is beer, But some people are rather selective about the 'differences in brands.
I think my parents put me on this planet.
Posted by WhoPutYouOnThePlanet 2 days ago
WhoPutYouOnThePlanet
"Eh, If belief in a deity was no different than belief in a tooth fairy, Then there would be far fewer people who believe in deities. "

Yea i suppose if flat earthers didn't exist you would have a point, Except you know when it comes to a child believing in the tooth fairy and a religitard believing in extraordinary claims without extraordinary evidence, The child usually grows up. .

There is no difference between believing in the tooth fairy and a religious deity, Both are equally unevidented and without good reason to be believed in the first place, And just because the majority of people believe something that does not make it true, To suggest so would be demonstrably absurd.

Con fails to understand that when you have hundreds of generations of foolish beliefs being passed down via writings and in most cases child indoctrination from the moment of birth, That your going to end up with populations of people who actauly believe these things.

This is why a theist who acquired his/her belief later in their lives is often more intellectually honest then those who have had it ingrained in their heads since birth.

I have personally been to many churches earlier in my life, And the one thing i remember from being there is that people will always bring their young children and even infants to service every time, This is not some over exaggerated claim that people are pulling out of their arse, It is something that has and still is happening, Which is one of the main reasons religion even still exists, And especially why Islam is rapidly growing compared to Christianity.
Posted by Leaning 3 days ago
Leaning
Eh, I'll probably go with the spirit of what he meant if he posts for round 2. Though it still seems a stretch maybe to say they are the same thing.
Posted by omar2345 3 days ago
omar2345
@Leaning

I am sure what you said is correct because he did title the debate there are no differences so you can go anywhere where there is a difference between the two.