Eugenious
sutazeri

Bernie Sanders is a Socialist

Eugenious

Pro

My opponent will need to prove only that he is not a socialist. For extra credit, Attempt to prove that he would be a good president. But that has nothing to do with the initial debate. Just to stimulate the conversation. Be respectful, And good luck to my opponent!
sutazeri

Con

Bernie Sanders is not a socialist. He is a social democrat. He advocates for political, Economic, And social ideologies that support social intervention in an attempt to gain social justice within the framework of a CAPITALIST, Liberal, And democratic polity. Therefore, By definition, Bernie Sanders is not a socialist.
Eugenious

Pro

Bernie Sanders has called himself a "democratic socialist" multiple times. That's the same thing as socialism. Plus, His views are mostly socialistic. Can you prove that his EXACT beliefs aren't socialist?
sutazeri

Con

Democratic Socialism is not the same thing as socialism. Completely different viewpoints. From this, I can tell that the OP is simply misinformed and therefore their judgement is invalid. Moving on, I will still justify my views. Socialism is basically the opposite of capitalism. The government controls ALL means of production (think, Communism) and authoritarianism. Democratic socialism works within a multi-party, CAPITALIST, Country. Most Democratic socialist advocate for more access to healthcare and education for the general population. For example, They believe that you should not have to spend your entire life's savings within 2 years of your cancer treatments, Or be in debt for a decade because you wanted to better your education. Basically wanting to improve the security of the working-class. They plan on obtaining this money through taxes on the rich. We're not talking rich as in, A surgeon who spent a decade getting to where he is now and now he's only making 30% of his income. We're talking, Amazon made $11. 8 billion in profit in 2018 and didn't pay a single dime in taxes. So, By definition and moral understanding, Bernie is in no way a socialist. Democratic socialism has socialist tendencies, But it is not affiliated in that sense.
Eugenious

Pro

First off, Can you PROVE that democratic socialism isn't the same as socialism? You even said that it has socialist tendencies, But you neglected to inform us of how it is any different.

Next, You made quite a few statements about how democratic socialism is good for our country, But this is besides the point. I disagree strongly on this, But all that we are debating is whether or not Bernie is a socialist. Not about whether it's good or not. So all of that is not valid for this debate.

You didn't answer what I said about Bernie holding socialist views. Once again, This debate is not about whether socialism is good or not. All that this is about is whether Bernie is in fact a socialist. Please refrain from commenting on how socialism is "good for the country. "

In your next argument, I would like to see you at least attempt to prove that Bernie does not hold socialistic views, And that democratic socialism is not the same as socialism. Once again, Please don't waste any more of your or my time with arguing about whether socialism is good. That's another debate for another time.

Back to you!
sutazeri

Con

I explained why Democratic socialism was not socialism in my previous argument. To my understanding, Bernie is actually a social democrat, Which is fairly similar to Democratic socialism. Bernie wants taxes on the multimillionaires to fund discounted healthcare and education, If you want to call that socialism then go ahead. He himself is not a socialist however. That's like calling trump a libertarian or even a fascist.
Posted by Eugenious 3 years ago
Eugenious
ah
Posted by sutazeri 3 years ago
sutazeri
Democratic Socialism is a capitalist ideaology. Im actual a social democrat but that wasnt an option. I'm fairly centrist in terms of social issues.
Posted by Eugenious 3 years ago
Eugenious
hey, So I checked out your profile, And I'm a little confused. Your thing says that you're for the democratic socialist party, Yet you're for capitalism and a few other conservative ideas. Are you kind of in the middle of the two extremes, Or am I not understanding?
Posted by Eugenious 3 years ago
Eugenious
I really want to thank my opponent for this debate. You were really respectful, And I appreciate that. Good luck in your other debates, And thanks again! Your'e a nice guy.
Posted by WrickItRalph 3 years ago
WrickItRalph
Does Bernie ever expressly attribute himself to socialism. I feel like he glazed over it in a speech before.