ghost93
BlaseSlayer22

Black Lives Matter (Idea&fight is justified but naming strategy is not)

ghost93 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

ghost93

Pro

The reason I disagree with the naming of BLM but not the idea behind is that to assume that most of America is racist I think is irrational, which is what the name BLM supports. Imagine if I accused you of doing something wrong which you did not do! I think that explains the anger on the RIGHT as some liberals if not all now nowadays claim anyone who disagrees with BLM is racist. I want anyone to logically convince me that the claim the name makes is not over conflated by same race killings and does not take into account cops that or of minorities as this would muddy the statistical proof of Institutional racism.

I think the number of people who die from police incompetence is misrepresented by only mentioning the percentage of specific races when in reality the people that died in 2017 including all races is (0.000305%) of the total US Population. I believe attaching the racist card to this issue takes away from what the problem might be and not solve it.

Words that seem to resonate with me when I hear the naming stategy for the movement are:

Broad generalization fallacy
Hasty generalization (fallacy of insufficient statistics, fallacy of insufficient sample, fallacy of the lonely fact, leaping to a conclusion, hasty induction, secundum quid, converse accident) " basing a broad conclusion on a small sample.

http://www.nizkor.org...

What is Groupthink?

Groupthink, a term coined by social psychologist Irving Janis (1972), occurs when a group makes faulty decisions because group pressures lead to a deterioration of "mental efficiency, reality testing, and moral judgment" (p. 9). Groups affected by groupthink ignore alternatives and tend to take irrational actions that dehumanize other groups. A group is especially vulnerable to groupthink when its members are similar in background, when the group is insulated from outside opinions, and when there are no clear rules for decision making.

http://www.psysr.org...

RULES:
Rational - Agreeable to reason; reasonable; sensible:

1. No forfeits
2. Any citations or foot/endnotes must be provided in the text of the debate
3. No new arguments in the final round
4. No trolling
5. No semantics
6. My opponent accepts all definitions and waives his/her right to add definitions
7. Violation of any of these rules or of any of the R1 set-up merits a loss.
8. No "K's" on the topic.
BlaseSlayer22

Con

I don't think black lives matter, I think ALL lives matter, sure in some states there may be police officers that racially stereotype the people around them and then that leads them to make assumptions, but everyone is acting like the only people ever shot are black people and their not, white people are shot all the time by police instead and its wrong to be addressing the issue as such a one sided point of view because people should think of the issue as police are drawing their guns and discharging them when there is no purpose and that is leading to increased casualties but white people die as well and we should be tackling this issue together as human beings rather than separated by something as simple and childish as the colour of our skin.
Posted by Surgeon 3 years ago
Surgeon
BLM are the quintessential definition of an Identity politics movement. They are a devisive, malevolent force fighting what exactly? 1 racially motivated killing of an innocent person is too many, but statistically it is neither disporportinately occuring, nor (by a long way) the most lethal threat faced by the community they claim to represent.

It is a movement based purely on a narrative, which itself is based purely on feelings and not facts. It is a vehicle for some people to gain power over others (in the process maybe making a little money for themselves), claim to be some form of community leader, and act as a platform for them to safely propogate an agenda of hate and resentment. Including railing against capitalism, all the time while tweting on their i-phones! It is nothing short of pathetic.

Western societies are level playing fields for (even biased towards) minority groups. Now suddenly minorities want to play the victim and claim this or that is against them, based on some shaddowy consipiracy theory of institutional bias (whatever that really means). Heres an idea, use your energy differently. Instead of complaining and being a self-entitled professional victim, try bettering your life for you and your family despite all the barriers you think you face. You know like the rest of society.