mikedo
Ettina

Black Lives Matter

mikedo

Con

Is Black Lives Matter furthering the black community for good or bad?

I believe it is bad for the Black community. In the course of the debate I would like to bring out one main point; Black Lives Matter has presented untrue facts to the black community and angered it's supporters of every race.

Rules:
1. Stay on Topic
2. Address the points clearly. Then make new points AFTER you address mine.
3. Do not make other points in the last round. Last round should be summation.
4. Do not take the opportunity to knit pick at spelling or grammar. People obviously type fast sometimes. It's normal.
Ettina

Pro

Can you clarify which untrue claims you feel Black Lives Matter has made?
mikedo

Con

1. Black Lives Matter believes in institutionalized "state-sanctioned" violence and anti-black racism from white police officers. Specifically in cases where facts have been sketchy and played in the media as outright racism. Several Black Lives Matter supporters that are involved with the organization have stated that blacks are being killed by police at alarming rates. Not true.

2. People who identify themselves with the organization have been caught telling white supporters to get in the back of lines at protests. This creates a segregated environment. Do you think this brings people of all races together?

3. BLM claims to want to be equal but they need white people to give them things to do it (List of Demands) These two facts end up distancing people from a cause they claim to

4. What I am most concerned about is that BLM does not affirm the Black father. They do however, Affirm, Queer, Transgender, Black women and everyone else except specifically stating the Black father.

"We build a space that affirms Black women and is free from sexism, Misogyny, And environments in which men are centered. "

THIS IS THE CLOSEST THEY GET --- "We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and "villages" that collectively care for one another, Especially our children, To the degree that mothers, Parents, And children are comfortable. "

For BLM to ignore this issue, Which is possibly THE BIGGEST issue within the Black Community (lack of fathers/73% born out of wedlock, Roughly 60% raised by single mothers) is absolutely staggering. Especially when this statistic is related to delinquency, Drop out rates, Crime, Recidivism, Graduating from high school, Etc.

Do you think by not mentioning this issue, BLM is being a good voice for our community?

All this does NOT assist in making lives for black people any better. What it does do, With AMAZING help from the media is anger it's supporters and it furthers a racial divide, Which goes back to the overarching point, That it is overall bad for the black community. Even if you think some of it is good. . . .

If you want to bring people together you don't segregate people. You disavow any one that disrupts peace with violence against police officers in the name of your organization and you understand racism is not an institution issue. It is a person to person issue.
Ettina

Pro

Regarding #1, According to the link below, Black people make up 13% of the US population and 31% of people killed by police. I'd consider having your people overrepresented almost 3x among people killed by police pretty alarming.

https://www. Vox. Com. . .

Although there are likely many reasons for this, The following link suggests that implicit racial bias against blacks plays a significant role. Specifically, They found that their sample of non-Black university students were more likely to misidentify non-guns as guns when primed with a Black face rather than a White face.

https://www. Researchgate. Net. . .

#2 I would like to see a source for, Since I haven't heard of this happening.

#3 I'm not sure how those two things are contradictory? BLM wants races to be equal, Currently they are not equal, And the race with more institutional power is more likely to be able to make things more equal. I feel that fighting any form of prejudice naturally involves convincing the group with more institutional power to do things to level the playing field.

#4 I agree that this is a problem. I have noticed a lot of leftist circles are quite hostile to cisgender men, And this especially hurts cis men who are dis-privileged in other ways, Such as black men, Disabled men, Etc. Which is ironic, Because the issue of police violence specifically targets black men disproportionately over all other race/gender combinations. I think it's important for BLM to affirm black people of all genders, And unfortunately, This doesn't always happen.
mikedo

Con

mikedo forfeited this round.
Ettina

Pro

Ettina forfeited this round.
mikedo

Con

mikedo forfeited this round.
Ettina

Pro

Ettina forfeited this round.
Posted by Masterful 3 years ago
Masterful
Umm you can't post links or it deletes your argument
Posted by Ettina 3 years ago
Ettina
Ugh, That sucks. It keeps saying that it's my turn to respond and that you posted, But your response just isn't showing up.
Posted by mikedo 3 years ago
mikedo
I've tried posting my response several times. No answer as to why it does not post!
Posted by mikedo 3 years ago
mikedo
I tried posting. . . Hopefully it came through.
Posted by Ettina 3 years ago
Ettina
Ugh, It broke my links and won't let me post them in the comments. How do they expect me to debate without linking to stuff?

The first link was a page on the stats of police violence by race posted by Vox. Com, Based on analysis of FBI data.

The second link was a study by Payne (2001) in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Volume 81, Number 2, Pages 181-192