insignia-jones
Father_Crowfield

Black Metal bands try too hard to look evil

insignia-jones has forfeited round #3.
Started: 7/5/2018 Category: Music
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

insignia-jones

Pro

Black Metal band members try way too hard to look Evil and menacing but look like retired circus clowns wielding medieval weapons about.
Father_Crowfield

Con

They do not try too hard to look evil. Take the pioneer black metal band Venom. The cover on their debut album Welcome to Hell, is a picture of a goat. Goats, by the way, are not evil. You could say the album title is over-the-top, but then I'll remind you there is a village in Norway called Hell, Venom could have just as easily been referring to that. Even the name of the band, Venom, could be misinterpreted to be an "evil" name. However many bands of the eighties, such as Toto, were named after dogs. Somewhere out there, there had to be at least one dog named Venom. Speaking of Venom as a name, it is also the name of a Spider-Man character. Most people who read comics do not try to be evil.
insignia-jones

Pro

Is Venom the first band that comes to mind? They are not even Black Metal nor evil. They merely used Satanic imagery for shock value and to sound evil without being evil. Same with Slayer-shock value again. Although Kerry King is open about his alliance with Satan. In essence they were posers. Celtic Frost for instance is what comes to my mind along with Bathory. Both bands served as influences for modern Black Metal. In reference to many Swedish or Norwegian bands that not only go out of their way to project evil but even claim to be Satanists of some description or another. My argument is based on the simple notion that these groups openly stand for oppression and in some extreme cases, misanthropy by often criticize main stream media for failing to understand their concept of individuality and how they claim to not establish themselves within any paticular group or other music scene. I find this hypocritical because in their efforts to stand out, they tend to all look the same. They all wear leather, they all wear spikes and most except for the few exceptions, wear corpse paint and act like a total douche just for the camera. So why is it that they claim that their motivation is not for notoriety, yet they're whole presence says otherwise?
Father_Crowfield

Con

As a retired Catholic priest, I oppose all forms of Satanism. This includes people who pretend to be Satanist. However, as a retired catholic priest, I am a devoted fan to Celtic frost, although I am not an Irish Catholic. My favorite song is Jesus Saves [clean] by Slayer. This is coming from a retired Catholic priest. Black metal bands do not try too hard to look evil. Corpse paint is not evil. KISS uses corpse paint. KISS, the rock band that poses as a metal band. Leather is not evil. Cowboys wear leather. Spike are evil, I will admit. But the spikes black metal bands use are fake. FAKE SPIKES ARE NOT EVIL. You say they act like a douche just for the camera. Well, I bet Kerry King is just a jerk-off in real and that is the way he acts.
Posted by anti_ethnocentric 3 years ago
anti_ethnocentric
Black Metal is an euphemism of satanic metal . Any opinion pertaining to who or what they resemble is mere vantage point of view .