TheMurica
TheOpinionatedOstrich

Bowling is a sport

Started: 2/14/2018 Category: Sports

TheMurica

Pro

Bowling is a sport for many reasons. For one, it is an extremely competitive event, and the are lots and lots of tournaments, and there are also college scholarships and professional events in which people can win and get a lot of money.

A lot of people argue that there is very little to no physical activity involved, and when you only bowl recreational that can make total sense. But in competitive bowling, you sometimes bowl 20, 30 and maybe even 40 games in a weekend tournament.

Bowling is also an extremely precise sport. There are a lot of variables involved that people who aren't into bowling do not understand. For starters, there are tons of different oil patterns layed out on the lane, that make you attack the lane in a certain way. For example if you are bowling on a short oil pattern, you are able to hook the ball more, so you have to take a wider angle to the pins, and when you are bowling on a longer oil pattern, your ball cannot hook as much, so you have to play a straighter, more direct angle to the pins. There are also several different types of balls that vary in terms of how much it naturally hooks, how wide of an angle it will hook, and several other things that will determine how you will play on an oil pattern.
You have to make all these decisions on what angle you should play, where you should stand on the approach, how fast or slow you need to throw it, and that is just scratching the surface.

Bowling is definitely a sport because it is a very physical game, and extremely mental game, and a sport that needs to be practiced repetitively to be good at. If people would start bowling more competitively, they would understand this, and it would be a much more popular sport.

Bowling is definitely a sport.
TheOpinionatedOstrich

Con

I agree with all of your points about how the sport is so precise and you can make lots of money by it too! But I do not agree that bowling is a sport!

Bowling is rolling a spherical object/bowling ball down a small lane and try to knock over 10 pins. People or myself, could easily do that with a can of green beans and 10 toilet paper rolls, and you don't see me getting a scholarship or getting lots of money! I think bowing is an excuse for someone to knock something over without getting in trouble.

These are my reasons for why I think bowling should not be considered a sport.

Eat it,
TheOpinionatedOstrich
TheMurica

Pro

What you're saying is that just because anyone can do it, it is not a sport. I see people playing basketball make a layup. It is still a sport. Regular people can throw touchdowns in football, it's still a sport. Regular people playing hockey score goals, and it's still a sport. Just because regular people can throw a strike, doesn't mean it's not a sport.
TheOpinionatedOstrich

Con

But this is where you're wrong.

Bowling can be used with any time of object such as a basketball, football, baseball, or other random objects. Football cannot be played with a bowling ball or baseball or basketball. Baseball cannot be played with a football or a hockey puck. Therefore, bowling should NOT be considered at sport, it should be considered as a hobby or something to do when you are free for the weekend.
You don't see people playing lawn darts for scholarships or lots of money! So why should bowling be considered a sport. It should NOT. Are you going to be responsible for the pro-bowling deaths of the world?

I would like for you to respond with an apology explaining why my answers were FAR more superior than your shrimpy little explanations.

Thanks,
TheOpinionatedOstrich
Posted by Amphia 8 months ago
Amphia
sport
sp"rt/Submit
noun
1.
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
"team sports such as baseball and soccer"
synonyms:(competitive) game(s), physical recreation, physical activity, physical exercise, athletics; pastime
"we did a lot of sports"

BOWLING IS A SPORT BY DEFINITION LOL