NKJVPrewrather
Overhead

Can people be born free if they are not free to be born?

NKJVPrewrather has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

NKJVPrewrather

Con

I am taking the negative position that people can't be born free, if they are not free to be born, and pro is taking the positive position. I want pro to go first just to see where he os she is coming from, so I can present my case. Also, I will prove the personhood of the fetus and the right of all persons to live. Happy debating.
Overhead

Pro

I am taking:

"People be born free" to mean: Born as free individuals with the normal rights we would expect children to have in typical western nations

and

"Not free to be born" to mean: Not granted protection from abortion or forms of contraception which end a viable pregnancy.

My answer to this is yes, of course. No matter what you feel about abortion and whether it should be banned or whether it is immoral, it is not incompatible with being born free.

I could have been aborted - I had no freedom guaranteeing me safety from abortion in the womb. The same probably applies to every other poster on this website. Like me, I imagine almost all of you were then born and inherited all the typical rights one associates with developed nations like freedom of speech, freedom of religion.

Simply put even if you think abortion is wrong, abortion being a possible outcome for a child does not mean that children who aren't aborted don't get rights and freedoms.
NKJVPrewrather

Con

Unborn people have the same rights as born people, and that is to live
Overhead

Pro

Con does not present an argument that relates to the topic. The claim is also false, unborn fetuses can legally be aborted so they do not have the right to live or the same rights. Con may wish to argue they should but this still wouldn't relate to the topic.
Posted by Overhead 3 years ago
Overhead
I am taking:

and

Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
unborn is unborn