Percivil
ghostintheshadows

Can technology replace the role of teachers in the next 3 years?

ghostintheshadows has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Percivil

Con

Good day to everyone here. My name is Percivil and I will be taking the role of con on the topic if technology can replace the role of teachers in the next 3 years.Now ladies and gentlemen,I"d like to look at what a teacher is suppose to do. A teacher is someone who will educate the ones of the future. To challenge his or her students with questions like: why is...how does...what is...etc. To discipline students when in the wrong. And most important of all:to inspire the ones of the future. Now, except for educating their students, can technology do any of the following mentioned? Maybe not while,but definitely more than 3 years in the future. Why do I say so? When you want to teach, you have to make sure the technology is fail proof. But at the rate that all tech companies are going, technology won"t be perfected in 3 years. Definitely more. AI"s such as Siri still has its faults and like I mentioned earlier: technology needs to be fail proof to teach. Unless u want the ones of the future to learn the wrong things and end up doing everything wrong. The last point I want to make is grading. I know I know, y"all are going to be like: We already can. The OAS system(a system where students shade circles to answer multiple choice questions and a machine would mark it from there).Duh...Well when we say Teachers, we mean Teachers for both core and non core subjects. But how are we going to grade non core subjects with a piece of paper? Take music for example. How is technology going to grade the dynamics or the creativity of the playing of the music? And art? Well art yes I know what"s going to happen. The only grade they will give is:syntax error.In conclusion,I do think that technology will replace the role of Teachers one day. But with the following points of mine,just not in the next 3 years.
ghostintheshadows

Pro

Every day, technology is taking giant steps for mankind. Within less than 2 years, we now have fully driverless cars, and so what is to say that technology in the role of teachers can't do the same? A teacher is supposed to teach their students, but some time or another, the teacher will be sick. The teacher will be on some perilous adventure in the wilderness. The teacher will be taking a day off school for their own sake. Like it or not, no teacher is perfect. Technology, on the other hand, can be.

Technology is reliant on very few things. Two, in fact: programming, and electricity. These two things are already around, so what is to say that it cannot happen within the next 3 years? What the opposition has put about 'teachers are meant to challenge students with questions like... why is, how does, what is etc.' is completely ludicrous! An AI can easily ask the same questions, and can make them better, unlike the current trend that teachers are showing... they hate their job/ colleagues/ wage, and so they give less attention to their students. Not to add that by replacing teachers with AI, we will be stopping the endless news articles of 'teacher found smoking cannabis', 'teacher swears at child', 'teaching shortage'. It is clear to many people that being a teacher is hard work. So why not let AI do it for them? Not only are you saving the school a lot of trouble, but also the parents and students.

Technology can do a lot more than educate students. While it is true that within the next 3 years it is likely that AI will not be able to discipline students, with technology it won't need to because students will finally be learning something and actually enjoying school. Technology is not as 'stranded' as the opposition makes it out to be. Technology can inspire the ones of the future, check homework, educate students, engage students in their learning, ask questions. An argument has been put up stating 'technology needs to be fail-proof in order to teach'. So are you arguing that teachers need to be fail-proof as well? Because they clearly aren't. Technology doesn't need to be perfect to teach. Teachers aren't perfect, especially not when they first started, but they have improved, and so will technology.

Grading. No one wants to do it as stated so clearly by the opposing team... who also stated that technology already does it. Technology is able to do so many things and with grading (which, by the way, it already does), there isn't an issue.

Is completely obvious that technology can replace teachers within the next 3 years; and as the moot clearly states, the debate is NOT on will technology replace teachers within the next 3 years, the debate is on CAN it. The fact is that will it is another question entirely. While we cannot (obviously) predict the future, with the gigantic leaps that technology is making every day, it is clear that technology will be able to replace teachers within the next 3 years.
Percivil

Con

Argument:
While teachers just do what I mentioned in my previous argument, they do one important thing which I found out a few years back. My parents seperated a few years ago and that was a very emotional time for me. What I found was that teachers do comfort their students in times like these.

Question:Can AI"s ever comfort students? Is there such a programme or software that can allow such a thing? Are things like these in motion?

Also,teachers teach life skills at times. AI"s never experienced life before. What life skills can technology teach when they have never experienced life before?

Rebuttal:
"While it is true that within the next 3 years it is likely that AI will not be able to discipline students" Its likely not confirmed.

Ladies and gentlemen I want to bring your attention to something as well. I asked my opponent a question and he did not respond to it. My question was:
"But how are we going to grade non core subjects with a piece of paper? Take music for example. How is technology going to grade the dynamics or the creativity of the playing of the music? And art?" So I"ll ask my opponent again:How is technology going to grade subjects like music? How are they going to grade:
-The creativity of the playing
-The dynamics
-The control
-The tempo
Posted by Percivil 3 years ago
Percivil
Hmm you never know since they started making artificial intellegence
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
Maybe not replace teachers entirely, but there are online courses that teach people available right now. I have been required to use some of these courses but I highly doubt they will replace teachers.