Wahmenrespector
Penrose_stairs

Can you become female if you're male or vice versa

Penrose_stairs has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Wahmenrespector

Con

It isn't biologically possible, you can't change to a man if you were born a female, i can give an example besides the absurdly obvious, like sperm cells and wombs. 88% of all violent crimes are perpetrated by men, men are 3.56 times likely to commit suicide, male brains are 14% bigger than females (Though female brains are more efficient)
Penrose_stairs

Pro

Before this house announce our arguments, I would like to clarify the difference between sex and gender. Sex is biological. It is related to the person's reproductive system and secondary sex characteristics. Gender is the social role the person identify with, it is about whether the person identify with the male or female role of his/her culture.
You can change sex by surgery.
Gender is the social roles and characteristics. A person's gender is changed when he/she identify with a different gender he/she previously identify with. This happens to teenagers more often because they are in puberty, so they may identify with a different gender easily.
The examples of the difference between males and females does not prove that you cannot change gender or sex at all. The different between the two sexes is a fact, but it does not means that all females never commit suicide and offend violent crimes. Commit suicide and violent crime are examples of sex difference, but they can never be used to define the biological sex of a person. Does it mean that a women who commit violent crime must have changed gender? The same thing happens to the brain size. Do you mean in average, male brains are 14% bigger than females? There is a possibility that a women has a larger brain than a male?
Lastly, I would like to ask con, were you refering to gender or sex?
Wahmenrespector

Con

1: "Before this house announce our arguments, I would like to clarify the difference between sex and gender. Sex is biological. It is related to the person's reproductive system and secondary sex characteristics. Gender is the social role the person identify with, it is about whether the person identifies with the male or female role of his/her culture." I agree this definition isn't bad.
d
2: "You can change sex by surgery" No, you can't change your fallopian tubes, your uterus, your sperm cells, your periods, or your ability to birth a child

3: Gender and sex don't vary independently, what you do is tied to your sex by a large amount. For example, the "Cultural differences" between genders are mostly biological. For example http://content.time.com...
https://www.everydayhealth.com...
https://www.webmd.com...

4: It does for sex, arguing that is abiological, now for gender, it is a heavy influence, now obviously it varies but some of it is character traits but the traits are more common and are much much more common in females, and the typical gender roles are almost synonymous with sex, then we have tomboys and things like that, but that's masculinity as a female or feminity as a male, why we should refer to this as being man or woman is beyond me.
Posted by Masterful 3 years ago
Masterful
If a man can have a 'female identity' does that mean someone can have an African identity, so I can identify as an African despite being born in Europe and being white?
Can I identify as a gorilla?
Can I identify as a bacon sandwich? WHERE WILL IT END!

Can men identify as a person with invisibility whereby they sneak into the girls locker rooms and when people say "get out!" they reply, "you can't see me I identify as invisible" and get super offended?

Yeah men having an excuse for going into girls locker rooms would be ridiculous....Ohh wait.

:)
Posted by Wahmenrespector 3 years ago
Wahmenrespector
I used to be on that side of the spectrum I fully understand the claims but saying Gender =/= Sex is something that doesn't make any sense when someone uses man or woman it's meant to refer to someone who is biologically one gender. Not what someone says they are. I fully understand what they're saying but what they're saying doesn't make sense.

I don't get what point you're trying to make here, you can be a feminine man or a feminine woman but I really don't see how acting feminine or masculine, when you aren't a woman or a man, equates to you being a woman or a man. If it is the case that pronouns are for gender and gender is malleable which is an arbitrary statement to make in itself, people might go around calling people xx's or xy's because for most people pronouns are for biological sex.

Watch the Jordan Peterson debate about bill c-16 in Canada, There are all to many people who are throwing biological sex out the window
Posted by Varrack 3 years ago
Varrack
I don't think you understand their claims then. Gender =/= sex; the latter refers to your body.

Transgender people and activists alike allege that gender (your identity) and sex (your body) can be different, and are in fact so for trans people. They would all agree that your biological sex itself is static, though.
Posted by Wahmenrespector 3 years ago
Wahmenrespector
Or even the more "Moderate" transgender activist's
Posted by Wahmenrespector 3 years ago
Wahmenrespector
A load of people, unfortunately, like a huge amount of the population of Canada or the more radical side of the LGBT movement in other countries like England America etc
Posted by Varrack 3 years ago
Varrack
Literally who claims that it's possible to?