cubemaster
thehappy

Can you prove the existence of a God or gods?

thehappy has forfeited round #1.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

cubemaster

Con

Based on the information at our disposal, it is impossible to prove the existence of a god or multiple gods beyond a reasonable doubt. This is not a question of blind faith, but of empirical evidence. The Bible cannot be used as irrefutable proof of God, as we know that the Bible was written by humans. This is not to say that we know for certain that no God exists, but simply to say that we have no proof either way.
Posted by cubemaster 3 years ago
cubemaster
@thehappy I should have clarified that, sorry. I meant to say that I do not believe the bible to be proof, not that it should not be used in the debate. If you think you have a way to effectively use the bible to prove your point, feel free.
Posted by thehappy 3 years ago
thehappy
I'd also like you to clarify not using the Bible because it was written by humans. So can we not use any writings written by humans for this debate? What is the difference between Carl Jung and Peter? If the Bible is flawed because it is written by Humans than every book ever written falls under the same rule. It's like a Christian asking an Atheist not to use Carl Jung or Darwin's books in his argument because they are human. That's not a strong reason as it is completely subjective. I can't use the Bible but can I use the Book of Mormons, the writings of Buddha or the Quran? Or are you saying no Religious authors period? I am perfectly fine not using the Bible but I think that reasoning needs to be more concise.
Posted by thehappy 3 years ago
thehappy
Hello I accept your offer to a time of productive discourse and learning from both of our views.
Posted by missmedic 3 years ago
missmedic
A god's existence is based in belief not proof. Beliefs and faiths do not establish "truths" or facts. It does not matter how many people believe or for how many centuries they have believed it. It does not matter how reverent or important people think of them, if it does not agree with evidence, then it simply cannot have any validity to the outside world.
Look at human history, humans have invented thousands of gods over thousands of years and they all stop existing when belief in them stopped, because gods don't exist if you don't believe. The more you know the less you believe.
Posted by 21MolonLabe 3 years ago
21MolonLabe
If you change the topic to, "It is more likely that God does exist than doesn't." I would happily accept.
Posted by canis 3 years ago
canis
Or how could a god in theory proof its existence ?
Posted by canis 3 years ago
canis
Just in theory.. What would a "proff"... "Be"... ?
Posted by The_Observer 3 years ago
The_Observer
Frankly I don't see how anyone would argue this. I've never met anyone who claimed to be able to prove the existence of a divine being in any empirical way. Frankly, this is a question of faith, which really doesn't have place in a scientific discussion. I don't think anyone can know for sure (empirically) until God manifests himself in the flesh. One can gain great conviction in the meantime, but that isn't what is being discussed.
Posted by justadumb16yearold 3 years ago
justadumb16yearold
really interested in this one