ITakeMASSIVEDumps
anc2006

Cannabis, Weed, Should be legal

Argument Due
We are waiting for ITakeMASSIVEDumps to post argument for round #3. If you are ITakeMASSIVEDumps, login to see your options.
01day08hours57minutes21seconds
Updated: 1 day ago Status: Debating Period

ITakeMASSIVEDumps

Pro

Please introduce yourself. Next round, We shall begin.
anc2006

Con

Drugs are bad, And they should not be legal(see my pfp if you understand).

Drugs causes symptoms that made it illegal. Try to refute this. The symptoms won't ever go away.
ITakeMASSIVEDumps

Pro

Before I start, I would like to address your statement that all drugs are bad. This is simply false. Caffeine is a drug and is beneficial to humans. Medical marijuana can be used to treat pain, Nausea, And PTSD in veterans. These drugs can improve people's lives. Now onto my arguments.

1. Reasons for why cannabis is illegal is based on racist lies and myths.

The only reasons for why cannabis is illegal is because back in the 1930s, The Federal Bureau of Narcotics had funding cut off. The commissioner, Harry J. Anslinger, Started his campaign against cannabis by rallying racists that had anti-mexican ideas at the time. Since cannabis was used quite often in Mexico and still is today, Anslinger used this to his advantage and started lies on how dangerous it was. Soon, He started a campaign in which he used the extreme widespread racism at the time to fuel it. Even the "War on Drugs" and completely failed government crackdown on drugs that increased crime, Was fueled by the same racism. As according to John Ehrlichman, Nixon's counsel and Assistant for Domestic Affairs, Said:

"The Nixon campaign in 1968, And the Nixon White House after that, Had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I"m saying? We knew we couldn"t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, But by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, And then criminalizing both heavily, We could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, Raid their homes, Break up their meetings, And vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did. "

2. Legalizing cannabis would decrease drug related crimes and its usage among teens and people under the age of 25.

Making anything illegal will make it more widespread. Time and time again in history, This has proven true. During American prohibition, Alcohol's price and value increased dramatically. Its usage spiked and crime related to alcohol increased with rich mobsters like Al Capone rising up. The same happened with cannabis. It was made illegal, Crime related to it rose, And cartels gained power and wealth selling it. Its usage was also spread among teens. But making it legal, The government can regulate its sale and that would make it harder for young people to get.

3. Cannabis is safe.
Science has proven that cannabis can't kill. There has been no recorded deaths of cannabis throughout history and is near impossible to overdose on. It's not as toxic or addictive as tobacco or alcohol. According to the CDC and NIH, Alcohol kills 88, 000 a year, Tobacco kills 480, 000 a year,

4. It's in no way a gateway drug.
According to the Subtance Abuse and Mental HealthServices Administration, People that smoke cannabis have been show be less likely the get on harder substances and most of the time stop smoking it all together.
anc2006

Con

Cannabis is illegal in the US because even though it doesn't kill, It still causes serious symptoms once addicted. It is very easy to be addicted on.
Posted by Leaning 13 hours ago
Leaning
I feel 'some doubt about it being a gateway drug, Perhaps it is gateway people instead. Still why give them the keys so easy?
I think it's easier to ban something that we are not accustomed to, Than ban something we 'are accustomed to. I think it's too bad we legalized mamajuana in a number of places.
Though many of the ways mamajuana use and possession, Is punished, I do not agree with. Not that I understand law.
It 'should be simple enough to follow a law, When one knows it though.
Hm, Anyway. Personally I've had a relatives and acquaintances who's bad decisions/experiences/lifestyles, Bias me against drugs rather heavily. Even lesser ones.

Still, I overindulge unhealthy food and video games myself.
Posted by missmedic 23 hours ago
missmedic
When any thing is made illegal the control of the thing is put in the hands of the criminal.
Go to Canada weed and homosexuality are legal.
Posted by Keplor 2 days ago
Keplor
Just throwing it out there that the symptoms of weed are not as bad the the symptoms of alcohol from what we can tell and every time a country legalizes drugs all problems related to them (like crime) disappear and the government just gets free tax money. Weed is less addictive than alcohol and there are very little if any withdraw symptoms but I'll leave the debate to the debtors.