dbox
wampe

Capital Punishment is Moral

wampe has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

dbox

Pro

My position is that it is moral for a society to require the death of murderers, And immoral for a society to let murderers live. In other words, It is morally obligatory that murderers be put to death.

Murder is defined as the unjustified taking of human life by another human.
wampe

Con

I will take the position that it is not moral for a society to require the death of murders, And immoral of a society to let murders live. I also accept your definition of murder for the purpose of this debate.
dbox

Pro

Con, Thank you for your acceptance,

THE PURPOSE OF GOVERNMENT
"We the people of the United States, In order to form a more perfect union, Establish justice, Insure domestic tranquility, Provide for the common defense, Promote the general welfare, And secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, Do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America. ". . . Preamble to the U. S. Constitution

THE AUTHORITY OF GOVERNMENT
"For there is no authority except from God. . . Those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, But too bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, And you will receive his approval, For he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, Be afraid, For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, An avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer". . . Romans 13:1-4

My point is not to bring the Bible into the arena for debate, But rather to show from a resource with which I am familiar that it an ideal which

THE SANCTITY OF LIFE
Human Beings I think are self-evidently Beings of intrinsic value, None lesser than the next and all equally possessing the right to live in a society without having their life taken devoid of due process. Due process establishes or negates the justification of a governing body to fulfill it's duty to society by punishing a law breaker in equal measure to the effect of the violation. The primary crime being the purposeful unjustified taking of an human life, And the secondary effect it has on everyone related to that person, Establishes the guilt of the murderer, And justifies equal and reciprocal action, Not by the individual, But by the government.

THE LAW, REASON AND MAN'S IMPLIED CONSENT
P1) It is true that man is rational
P2) It is common knowledge that the death penalty is a punishment of 1st degree murder (or punitively equivalent crime)
P3) Residence or citizenship in a country implies an agreement between individual and government in the form of an unspoken "social contract", Or promise to obey the laws.

Con) If a human chooses to kill another human, He is in effect stating that even knowing the consequences, He counts the immediate benefit derived from murder as more desirable than punishment to be undesirable. In so doing he is forfeiting his/her life to the.
Posted by dbox 3 years ago
dbox
Pardon the errors, I had been up for 90 hrs by the time I went to submit this. This is not to say that the infraction should be overlooked in the voting, But just to promote a good debate by making sure my points were understood.

*My point is not to bring the Bible into the arena for debate, But rather to show from a resource with which I am familiar that shows the use of force against individuals to maintain law and order in society is an implicit part of the authority of government, And necessary to fulfil its purpose as noted above (establish justice, Domestic tranquillity, Common defense and general welfare).

*In so doing he is forfeiting his/her life to the judgement of the established law.
Posted by dbox 3 years ago
dbox
Yoooooo, NYS. . . . Its like you have ESPN or something!
Posted by NYStateofMined 3 years ago
NYStateofMined
I can already tell dbox is going to say something stupid
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
Is a fine technically capital punishment since it is the punishment of forfeiting capital?
Posted by FanboyMctroll 3 years ago
FanboyMctroll
You got my vote! Capital punishment is justice for murderers!
Posted by dbox 3 years ago
dbox
I would like to see @ShaneW take the debate, But it is open to anyone. Ask in the comments first and present a brief explanation of your position.