FanboyMctroll
zapshe

Cellphone ban in school is an excellent idea!

FanboyMctroll
Updated: 3 weeks ago Status: Post Voting Period

FanboyMctroll

Pro

Banning the use of cellphones in school is an excellent idea as students are there to learn not chat on social media and be distracted from learning.

Maybe then we will have less moron students when they graduate and they won't need life coaches to get them through life because they wasted their education years texting on their cellphones.

Ban cellphones in schools and make the students pay attention in class not play with their phones. Cellphones have no place in school
zapshe

Con

Intelligent, Dumb, Knowledgeable, And ignorant ignorant students alike use their phones in class. If using a cellphone is what's leading them to failing and being "morons", There were bigger issues. You have to accept that many people are simply not going to do good. Cellphones aren't the cause, They're a consequence. When the student doesn't care about their education, They talk, Use their phones, Don't do their work, Etc. . Student's who do care about their education can still use their phones, They are just effective and not destroying themselves through it.

My friends and I use our phones in class, We've never failed or gotten so much as a 'C' before. It's not the phone, It's the students. Saying you should ban phones so that they'll pay attention is like saying ban butter so people will eat healthy. There are always other things they'll eat - other things students can do, Talk in class, Sleep, Etc. . The phone is not the issue, It's the students. If they don't care to learn, They won't learn. If they don't care to pay attention, They won't. It's really that simple.

Blaming cellphones is something that has continually failed to ever show progress. The current tolerance is good enough that if someone kind of cares about learning, They'll be inclined to use their phone less often due to constant bombardment of that rule and how negatively phones are being framed to them. However, Student's who actually don't care simply cannot be forced to care.

Again, Phones aren't the cause, They are a consequence from the cause.
FanboyMctroll

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent in taking on this debate

First and foremost I would like to remind my opponent that there have been no cellphones for the first 4 thousand years of education as the main goal of education is for the student to pay attention to detail and the lesson. Cellphones are just a distraction to learning. Governments are realizing that and are banning cellphones now in schools like in Ontario, Canada.

Cellphones are so bad of a distraction that it is now illegal to drive and use a phone. And how many collisions on the road we have with J-walkers who text and get hit by a car because they aren't paying attention to their environment but are on the phone.

Cellphones and education do not mix at all! In school you are there to pay attention not to be fiddling around on a cellphone. For hundreds and thousands of years students paid attention in class in order to learn, Now all of a sudden they have a distraction device in class. I'm glad cellphones are being banned around the country in schools. I mean what's next bring your own TV to school, Maybe start playing video games during class.

Bottom line you are there to learn and you can't learn while playing around on a phone and being distracted
zapshe

Con

"there have been no cellphones for the first 4 thousand years of education"

There also wasn't public schools for roughly that long. Learning meant being a rich nobleman. They understood the value of education. The masses were usually the generic low IQ people. In Rome, One ruler claimed the pope would have no more power, And so the pope excommunicated the ENTIRE Roman Empire. The NEXT DAY, People flocked outside his gates screaming at him to do something so they don't all go to hell. This is not an educated public.

You try to educate the entire public, And many will fail - guaranteed. The average person isn't going to be intelligent enough to make it through if they aren't determined on some level.

"Governments are realizing that and are banning cellphones now in schools like in Ontario, Canada. "

Pointing at a place that does that means nothing. You'd have to prove that this law has improved grades/graduation rates.

"Cellphones are so bad of a distraction that it is now illegal to drive and use a phone. "

That's completely separate. Driving needs you to be focused at all times because things can happen. . . Fast! A reaction time of 300ms will likely save you from many collisions if you drive safely (so not like me! ). However, Use a cellphone and immediately most people's reaction times will double. There are people more than able to multitask and this doesn't happen to them, But the vast majority is not this way.

In school, Reaction time isn't important. Have you ever heard someone say something but you have no idea what they said until a few seconds later? That would basically be using a phone in class. If you try to pay attention to the lecture, You'll still hear it, Just with a slight distraction. I've done it a million times. The issue arises when the person doesn't care about listening to the lecture! Now, They aren't trying to accommodate their education with their cellphone use, They just want to use their phones and couldn't care less about their own education.

This isn't to say people wouldn't do better without cellphone regulations, Which there are. These regulations allow people who would normally pay attention to have a reason not to get distracted. However, Full blown banning cellphones would not make the same change. If someone is willing to learn, The regulations will deter them from using their phones. If someone isn't willing to learn, They go out of their way in order to use their phones and not pay attention.

"And how many collisions on the road we have with J-walkers who text and get hit by a car because they aren't paying attention to their environment but are on the phone. "

Again, Reaction time and awareness of one's surroundings. These are skills HIGHLY lacking in most people, And then undermined even more when you have to do it through multitasking. It's not the same because hearing a lecture is something your brain can process late without you dying.

"Cellphones and education do not mix at all! "

On the contrary, I've many times had my teachers in highschool say, "Alright, Take out your phones! " so that we can do something with them.

"In school you are there to pay attention not to be fiddling around on a cellphone. "

Sometimes the lecture is so boring and about stuff we won't get tested on or things I already know, Why wouldn't I reach for my phone? I've never gotten anything lower than a 'B'. The phone keeps me sane during the boring as heck parts. I can't imagine sitting through all that without a distraction!

"For hundreds and thousands of years students paid attention in class in order to learn"

High class and rich students - NOT the general public. These people have been pressured to do well and learn. They know the value of the education they're receiving. You don't need a cellphone in order to fail. If you don't care, You can just as easily fail by sitting there and doing nothing, Talking, Sleeping, Etc. .

"Maybe start playing video games during class. "

Not that I haven't done that, But there was nothing else to do. Class isn't some sacred land of learning. If the person cares, They can literally be on their phone all the time and still get good grades. It honestly isn't the phones. Most people who failed high school when I was there did so by NEVER doing work. They'd usually talk rather than be on their phones. Other students who barely passed wouldn't show up to class all the time, Probably doing drugs and ditching school with their friends. Cellphones CANNOT be the reason people fail school. If you use it and want to pass, You will pass. If you use it because you don't care about your class, Then you won't pass - it has nothing to do with the phone.

"Bottom line you are there to learn and you can't learn while playing around on a phone and being distracted"

That's all well and good, Until the student doesn't care about learning. I've had a student that doesn't really use her phone, She mostly just talks all the time, Fail. I tried to teach her how to plot coordinates on a graph, Like basic stuff. She simply wouldn't/couldn't. I don't think she was too stupid to get this basic concept, She just didn't care. It's not the fault of a cellphone, It's HER fault.
FanboyMctroll

Pro

You bring up some valid points BUT cell phones are a distraction to anything you are doing, And if you don't have full attention to what you are supposed to be paying attention to then you are not learning 100% but being distracted.

Cell phones are a distraction to driving, Learning and anything else you are doing, Unless you are sitting still and paying attention to only the phone you are distracted.

When you start getting F's in classes because of being distracted by Candy Crush or texting then we will know why you are failing because you fail to learn and keep your attention on the learning subject at hand and not looking down on your cell screen.

Cell phones will eventually be banned in all schools and then what are you going to do? You can pay attention in class or you can twirl your thumbs and be bored but cell phones are bad anyways and when you get cataracts and eye cancer from staring at the blue light emitted from your cell phone and the brain cancer you receive from holding the phone up to your head I will come see you in the oncology ward of the hospital and you can tell me how cell phones are good. Considering we don't have any long term data on how bad cell phones are other than the fact our bee populations are dying off from cell phone tower signals, The same signals that are going through your head.

Bees are micro biological organisms and if they are dying you can be sure that humans over a longer time will develop health issues from use of cell phones. So see you in oncology in 20 years

Cell phones definitely do not belong in schools and laws are coming into place to ban them in classes and I'm all for it
zapshe

Con

"cell phones are a distraction to anything you are doing, And if you don't have full attention to what you are supposed to be paying attention to then you are not learning 100% but being distracted. "

I get what you're saying, But I don't see this being true. You can distract yourself better than any cellphone will. I've been in class after forgetting my phone before, And my thoughts would distract me even more so. The teacher says something, And I'll just go into a thinking frenzy, Making connections for fun, Then somehow 5 minutes will have passed and I have no idea what the teacher said in that time! The phone was something I could look at real quick every now and then to keep me from being totally out of it with boredom. Not that the phone is this way for everyone else, But that if you're going to get distracted, Anything can do it. The trick is to care enough about your education that you DON'T get distracted.

Slight distractions aren't bad, You can't expect anyone to sit down at 100% for all their classes, It simply isn't how people work. When people start using their phones in a way that their body is in the class but their mind is in whatever they're doing, What are the odds they were going to be paying attention anyway? Moreover, Teachers have the discretion to take away cellphones if they feel it's being too big a distraction - a better policy than a cellphone ban. This way, No one is foregoing their phones, They still have incentive to not over use their phones, And if they screw up the teacher can take the phone away for the remainder of the class. With these current regulations, Anyone who actually cares about their class has the incentive and punishment aspect to not get overly distracted by their phones. If you need to completely take the phone away because it's a habitual thing, The odds they'd pay attention with or without their phones are very minimal.

"Cell phones are a distraction to driving, Learning and anything else you are doing"

So is thinking. It's happened to me often when someone will say something that catches my interest and I'll go into a deep thinking spree on it and completely miss everything else they say. Again, It's not the instrument of the distraction but whether or not the person lets himself get distracted. I usually go into those deep thoughts when I'm uninterested in the situation in general!

"When you start getting F's in classes because of being distracted by Candy Crush or texting then we will know why you are failing because you fail to learn and keep your attention on the learning subject at hand and not looking down on your cell screen. "

What if you take away their phone and they're still failing? Again, The phone isn't the cause, It's just a tool. You can use a hammer for nails or for murder. Blaming failing grades on cellphones is like blaming hammer manufacturers for murder! If you don't want to fail, You'll use the phone in moderation, Pay attention, And study. If you don't care, You'll binge your phone, Talk, Sleep, Ditch class, And procrastinate.

"Cell phones will eventually be banned in all schools and then what are you going to do? "

I don't see that happening. However, I would riot extensively because now I can't do this slick thing when I just hand a girl my phone with the screen to input a number.

"You can pay attention in class or you can twirl your thumbs and be bored but cell phones are bad anyways and when you get cataracts and eye cancer from staring at the blue light emitted from your cell phone and the brain cancer you receive from holding the phone up to your head I will come see you in the oncology ward of the hospital and you can tell me how cell phones are good. "

You admit here that you'll do other things as soon as your phone is gone. Also, None of those things come from cellphones use. There's no connection between cellphones and anything you've just described.

"Considering we don't have any long term data on how bad cell phones are other than the fact our bee populations are dying off from cell phone tower signals, The same signals that are going through your head. "

Those are VERY weak signals. These are radio frequency signals which are electromagnetic waves. You know what else is an electromagnetic wave? Light. And light is WAY higher in frequency than radio waves. So unless being a species that is active at the daytime is deadly, Radio waves aren't dangerous. Above light, There's ultraviolet, And then after that is X-Ray. Only at the point of X-Ray are those waves going to actually hurt you with sustained exposure. Anything less than X-Ray level of frequency is considered non-ionizing radiation, Radiation that is so weak it can't hurt you. This includes ultraviolet, Light, Infrared, Microwave, And, Lastly, Radiowaves - the WEAKEST kind of electromagnetic wave. These have been around for a life time now. Radio and T. V. Have been around a while. If they were dangerous, The effects would have already shown.

Wave lengths are how you determine frequency - and the overall energy the wave carries. The wave lengths of radiowaves can be 10^3 METERS long! The wavelength of light are 10^3. . . . NANOMETERS long. That's a HUGE difference in energy. However, Light is still considered too weak to cause any radiation damage, So radiowaves certainly would never be able to do any damage, Even if you lived to be a thousand.

"Bees are micro biological organisms and if they are dying you can be sure that humans over a longer time will develop health issues from use of cell phones. So see you in oncology in 20 years"

The bee population isn't dying from radio waves.

"Cell phones definitely do not belong in schools and laws are coming into place to ban them in classes and I'm all for it"

Yes, But perhaps because of bias rather than the actual good it'll do.

All-in-all, People don't fail because of their phones. High achieving and failing students alike use their phones. It's the mental state of whether or not they're trying to do good and pass that determines the extent of their actions/achievements/grades. NO ONE fails because they owned a cellphone, They fail because they didn't try.
Posted by FanboyMctroll 5 days ago
FanboyMctroll
Well then I can't debate with you because your low intelligence and lack of schooling would certainly be a disadvantage for you in debating serious topics and I don't want to debate joint rolling and how to cook meth and how to be lazy on welfare.
Posted by zapshe 5 days ago
zapshe
"School is only a waste of time for the future garbage men and welfare cases. Are you a garbage man or on welfare? "

Yes
Posted by FanboyMctroll 5 days ago
FanboyMctroll
School is only a waste of time for the future garbage men and welfare cases. Are you a garbage man or on welfare? .
Posted by zapshe 5 days ago
zapshe
"No need to be upset that you lost AGAIN! "

Again?

"I could school you at any debate"

Of course you could, School is a waste of time. I'd be the one wrecking you though.
Posted by FanboyMctroll 5 days ago
FanboyMctroll
No need to be upset that you lost AGAIN!

I could school you at any debate

Mic drop
Posted by zapshe 6 days ago
zapshe
"Yes I win another debate! "

Accidentally*
Posted by FanboyMctroll 1 week ago
FanboyMctroll
Yes I win another debate!
Posted by zapshe 2 weeks ago
zapshe
"I didn"t notice. I voted for the wrong person. I may be retarded. Sorry Zapshe. "

Lol! Don't worry about it :)
Posted by Brendo 2 weeks ago
Brendo
I didn"t notice. I voted for the wrong person. I may be retarded. Sorry Zapshe.
Posted by zapshe 2 weeks ago
zapshe
The voter said, "I am going to have to hand the win to Zapshe" as he voted for FanboyMctroll 😂
Vote Placed by Brendo 2 weeks ago
Brendo
FanboyMctrollzapsheTied
Reasons for voting decision: Honestly one of the best debates I?ve read on this website. Both made pretty great arguments. However I am going to have to hand the win to Zapshe as I believe that their arguments were better. Again, it was a good and interesting debate.