VictoriousDebator
Pest

Certain Books Should be Banned

VictoriousDebator has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

VictoriousDebator

Pro

I wish my opponent good luck.

The American Library Association have tried to remove certain content from libraries since 1990, and obviously, there's a reason behind it.

Parents should have the rights to decide what their children are exposed to and what they should be getting their noses into.
Having books with adult topics available in libraries limits parents' ability to choose when their children are mature enough to read specific material. "Literary works containing explicit sex, oral sex, explicit & violent descriptions of rape, masturbation, vulgar and obscene language" were on the approved reading list for grades 7-12. If books with inappropriate material are available in libraries, children or teens can be exposed to books their parents wouldn't approve of before the parents even find out what their children are reading
Pest

Con

Yeah. No. Is this a joke? I'm going to entertain the argument either way, I was just curious. Do you actually believe the garbage you just typed or are you doing it for the shiz and gigs of it? For a lack of better words.

Okay. Ugh. Where do I even start?

Whew.

Alright so. You mentioned the American library association, and so I'm going to just guess that you're American and we're juggling this debate with a modern day American ideal in mind. Which I thought was worth mentioning and clarifying as this topic could vary greatly depending on culture & law.

Bringing me to my first and most obvious point; The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution - freedom of speech.

Can't argue with that logic.

Banning books based solely on the notion of it/they could be 'harmful' to certain people's, I don't know, emotions? Well-being? Just. Yuck. You're completely ignoring the larger scope contradictions and negative implications of banning a book, and all because "the parents" don't want to do, er, or don't have time to do their job as parents?

Oh wait. I'm sorry. You said, they could be 'exposed' to it before the parents ever know or approve of it.

Then maybe the parents should have done a better job of explaining to their children that "explicit" sex, violence, rape, masturbation and obscene language are topics that they should want nothing whatsoever to do with. 'Cause if a kid wants to read, learn or be entertained by something like, rape; then the parents failed in many other areas of parenting and so blaming books should be their last concern, and perhaps should take a look in the mirror.

A book at the library doesn't jump off the shelf into the child's hands. The child would have to spot it out themselves. And if I'm not mistaken, most vulgar books (8 or 9 times out of 10) would be specifically put into an 'adult' section or whatever, what have you type of section and that is why most public platforms with any type of reading/book section has a separate children's section. That's where the children go. At least that is where they would go if the parents or guardians were there with them to point them in the right direction. Unless of course, the explicit language you're speaking of is in reference to Dr. Seuss because I'll give you that one.

"I know some new tricks!" Said the Cat in the Hat, "A lot of good tricks, I will show them to you, and your mother will not mind at all if I do."

That cat in a hat... He's a sneaky bastard.

So if we aren't speaking of Dr. Seuss aged reading level, grades 7-12, was it? And you're worried about them picking up books about masturbating.

Dude. Seriously.

No... Seriously.

If you can present to me a high schooler that hasn't already well discovered what masturbating is on his own self-accord, then I will bow down out of this debate and declare you the winner. Hands down. No questions asked.

Oi...

So. 'Merica, it is.

If you're going to stand behind the American Library Association on this particular topic then I am going to have to assume you have somewhat of a modest, wholesome, proud to be all-American, right wing propaganda prude, aura about you. That being said, based on the taxonomy of words and terms you used to describe what types of books should be banned - guess we gotta' toss the Bible into the book burning pit also. yeah?

Yeah....

So I'll let you take all that in so you can roll it around in your head and get back to me at your soonest convenience.
Posted by Jentastic103 3 years ago
Jentastic103
Agreeing to freedom of literature has limits. Reading a book on ceaser agustus based on 84 copies of arcialogical evidence and our government approves it accessible for society But, The book of John has 500 copies of authenticity but the government decided that it is not truth for educational reading. Your allowed knowledge that is regulated by our government. We live in a matrix society. Take the blue pill and find out how deep the rabbit hole goes.