The_Icy_Alaskan_Cop
Phenenas

Chastity Belts Should Be Illegal

Phenenas has forfeited round #2.

The_Icy_Alaskan_Cop

Pro

I would like to propose that chastity belts be made illegal. My reasoning is as follows.

Although the original purpose of the device was to be used in BDSM activity for people with such sexual preferences, it has now become something that cruel, abusive parents use on their children to prevent masturbation.

This will continue to happen if they are not outlawed. It is truly appalling. The stores even sell them in very small sizes and it looks extremely uncomfortable and even painful!

People who practice BDSM should be willing to give up one of many devices used to limit the sexual freedom of the dominated partner so that children can stop being abused by their parents.
Phenenas

Con

Interesting topic, Pro, and thanks for starting up this debate. I will argue that chastity devices should remain completely legal.

I will admit that I don't have a ton of knowledge on this subject, but I'm at least vaguely aware of the fact that some "subs" in the BDSM community gain sexual pleasure from wearing a device that prevents or limits stimulation of their private parts. I personally don't understand why, but we don't need to psychoanalyze anyone's kinks. All we need to know is that these are consenting adults taking part in an activity that makes them happy, and so long as they aren't hurting anybody, the government shouldn't stand in their way.

Your problem lies with parents who force chastity devices onto their children to prevent masturbation. At first, I almost didn't believe you, but when I looked it up, many brave people admitted online that their parents did this to them. This is a cruel, abusive, humiliating practice, and I understand your side of the debate. However, illegalizing chastity devices isn't the right course of action.

You say, "This will continue to happen if they are not outlawed." I'd say that it will definitely keep happening if they are outlawed. Surely chastity devices could be easily smuggled from the numerous other countries where they'd still be legal for sale. And what about the people who own chastity devices already, including parents who use it on their children? What are we going to do, send SWAT teams to break down people's doors and search their houses for sex toys? Strip everyone naked to see if they're wearing one? Wouldn't that be a nightmare. Not to mention expensive. And what about the couples who use them for consensual BDSM purposes? Are they going to get jail time, even though they did no wrong?

Banning chastity devices would ultimately be a clumsy, expensive, inefficient process. Not to mention illogical. Lots of parents whip their children with a belt, so should we ban belts next? Shoes, because some parents throw them at their kids? Automobiles, because some parents leave their babies in the car? All due respect, I think you're focusing on the wrong issue here. The tool being used to abuse isn't what's at fault, because almost anything can be used to harm a child, as I've pointed out. Instead, we should be fighting against the act of abuse itself. Air PSAs that raise awareness, discourage parents from this practice, and warn them of the consequences if they're caught. Teach children and teens alike how to call Child Protective Services and let them know what's going on. Toughen up the laws, and make it clear that if you put a chastity belt on someone, without consent, that is sexual abuse and punishable by prison.

I sympathize with your reasoning, but I think that it's not only flawed in theory, but wouldn't work in reality. I await your response.
The_Icy_Alaskan_Cop

Pro

I would would like to begin by openly thanking my opponent for responding to my argument and participating in this debate.

Now, you have communicated your stance on this issue, and have made it clear that you, in fact, do not support the use of chastity belts on children to prevent masturbation. However, your problem with my viewpoint is that you find the illegalization of the device itself to be a serious interference in the sexual activity of consenting adults. I, however, disagree with this aspect of your argument.

Firstly, I would like to acknowledge the reasons you provide for why banning chastity belts isn"t "the right course of action." I couldn"t help but notice that many of the arguments you shared in your fourth paragraph were made under the assumption that what I"m proposing the government"s intentions ought to be, in banning chastity belts, should be to insure that not a single one is in use anywhere in the nation. I definitely agree that, as long as they exist, this will not work in reality. Perhaps I should have been more clear in my introduction argument.

Take Kinder surprise eggs, for instance. They were banned in the United States due to children choking on the toys inside the chocolate. But if I wanted to get one really badly, I could drive into Canada and sneak them back over the border. You see what I mean? While it may still be possible to get them, I can no longer buy them in my neighborhood. I would no longer be able to shop for them with convenience. The same applies to chastity belts. Some insane parents may be able to get them, but they will not be so easily available and the use of them will undoubtedly decrease.

You seem to be confused regarding the extent that I think they should be banned, even going so far as to ask me if I would like SWAT teams to search houses for them. So I will elaborate. The sale in the U.S. should be illegal, they should also not be produced in the U.S, and it should be confiscated if someone admits to be bringing one through an international land border or airport. I do not believe in jail time for the use of a chastity belt in a consensual BDSM relationship, but what I suggested above can decrease the child abuse which you yourself had read up on.

Furthermore, I would like to point out a flaw in your fifth paragraph"s counterargument. You asked if belts, shoes, and automobiles should be banned on account of their potential role in child abuse. However, each of those three things has something in common. They all play an important role in our society unrelated to child abuse, and banning them will cause great inconvenience. Where our opinions seem to divert is when you say that chastity belts also play an important role in consensual BDSM relationships among adults, and therefore, should stay in sales.

It"s not like some people won"t have to lose something for the greater good. And seen as how chastity belts are some of the less common BDSM devices, I hardly think that the sexual limitations of adults would be affected by its illegalization to the extent that children are being sexually violated by their parents with chastity belts staying in the market as they are now.

Finally, I wish to respond to the alternative methods to decrease such abuse that you also mentioned in your fifth paragraph, and why I hardly think they will be as effective. For instance, you said, "Teach children and teens alike how to call Child Protective Services and let them know what's going on," but it hasn"t exactly escaped anyone"s notice that this can be difficult for children to do, so much so that it can enable abuse to occur. Many children are afraid of being taken out of their parents" custody and have been taught from a young age to obey them. They may not see where their parents are going wrong through the forced use of a chastity belt. And even if they do, it will be extremely difficult for them to report it.

I also want to briefly point out how you stated we should, "make it clear that if you put a chastity belt on someone, without consent, that is sexual abuse and punishable by prison." But the thing is, parents like this exist and chances are, they are well aware of the laws and choose to disobey them anyway.

To sum it up, I believe that making chastity belts illegal, to the extent that I proposed earlier in my argument, is both a realistic goal and not morally unacceptable. The device"s miniscule contributions to society as a single preference in a single type of sexual activity isn"t worth the harm it"s causing.

Once again, I thank you for your first response and eagerly await your next.
Posted by The_Icy_Alaskan_Cop 4 months ago
The_Icy_Alaskan_Cop
It's fine that you didn't do it. I said most of what I wanted to. It was my first time instigating and I forgot to change that setting to give more time.
Posted by Phenenas 4 months ago
Phenenas
I apologize for not being able to post my argument in time. I was busy today, and didn't get the chance. If the debate time was more than 24 hours, I could have.
The_Icy_Alaskan_Cop
For some reason my apostrophes appeared as quotation marks in my round 2 argument. Not sure why.
Posted by Phenenas 4 months ago
Phenenas
@asta No, the devices often have a key required to unlock it, which I imagine would usually be held by the parents. It's sickening.
Posted by asta 4 months ago
asta
Can't the child just take it off?