Anonymous
BigTigerWhy

Children shouldn't be allowed a phone till' they are 13 years old

Started: 11/13/2018 Category: Technology

Pro

Children should not be allowed a phone till' they are 13 years old.

First of all, They are given easy access to social media like Snapchat or Instagram and at a young age they may post photos/videos that give away personal information like where they live, What school they go to etc.

At a young age it is important to definitely teach them these online dangers. These children may grow up to be addicted to their phone; always be on snapchat or not going outside and not spending as much time with their family.

Given young children easier access to social media means they might not actually talk to their friends in real life as often as they do on their phone.

What is the point of giving them a phone if these reasons are the sad outcomes?
BigTigerWhy

Con

They don't have to get a smartphone or any phone that can give them access to the social media. You could give them something like a flip phone.

However, This does come with it's consequences, Like almost everybody in the school/area you live in will laugh about your very out dated phone, But you are still able to text and call and all that. But your limited from Facebook, Or Snapchat, Etc. Your limited to call and text. You can even make it so IF it can have games on it, You can disable it.

What i'm saying is, That you don't HAVE to give them a smartphone as soon as possible (For darn sakes, I've seen them in 3 grade, ) But back to my point. Yes, They can sell their info if they have a smartphone, But that's their fault. And if you tell them not to sell their info on the internet, Then it might have a less chance of it happening.

And if they get addicted to their phone, What's stopping the parent from taking it away. If they see this problem coming up then shouldn't they address the problem and take away the phone and/or if they did something bad then punish them?

(Also, What do you mean by to "Teach them these online dangers. " Like, Teach them in school or what? )

Pro

Thank you for responding to my challenge.
These are all fair points I'd like to say, Although I have more points.

The way I was raised meant when I got a electronic I wouldn't crack it like other children would do and instead value it for a long, Long time. However, Other kids (the ones that got a new phone every time one came out) wouldn't value it and literally throw it around no matter how expensive it was. Being raised this way means I value items and don't just crack them in a week.

These types of kids expect the parents to pay for the broken phones/electronics and they aren't growing up to be grateful.

PS: Sorry, This argument was kind of short and by 'teach them these online dangers, ' I mean parents actually sitting down and going over rules but, Teaching them in school works as well.
BigTigerWhy

Con

BigTigerWhy forfeited this round.
BigTigerWhy

Con

BigTigerWhy forfeited this round.
Posted by RogerRefrain 3 years ago
RogerRefrain
Instead of restricting phones to a certain age group, I'd say It'd depend on the individual's mentality. If the person (of any age) were not capable of handling a phone without causing themselves harm, Then they should, Of course, Be held with restrictions.

The pro's (FantasticAvaFox) argument in round 2 doesn't necessarily line up with the initial statement up for debate. Instead of arguing upon phone access within a certain age group, It moreso changes into how many phones one should have. I fail to see how the argument would matter in terms of phone usage within itself.