A906500a
Jackthemarine86

Christianity is NOT valid

Jackthemarine86

A906500a

Pro

I'll argue that Christianity isn't a valid answer to God. This is my first debate so go easy on me!
Jackthemarine86

Con

I will accept the challenge. I'm interested in the proposal made by the Author of the debate.
A906500a

Pro

A906500a forfeited this round.
Jackthemarine86

Con

Given the fact there was little clarification as to the extent of what is being debated, I"m going to argue from a Christian non-denominational perspective.
"Christianity" is a very generic term in today"s society, as it takes on a variety of meanings, and encompasses a variety of denominations. However, Christianity, in its original context describes a belief system held by a group of people called "Christians". The derivative of "Christian" comes from the Word Christ which comes from the Greek word "Christos", a translation of the word "Masiah", meaning "Annointed One" in Hebrew " a name assigned to Jesus of Nazareth.

As mentioned before, Christianity encompasses a variety of denominations. However "Whatever else they might disagree about, Christians are at least united in believing that Jesus has a unique significance." -Woodhead, Linda (2004). Christianity: A Very Short Introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press. pp. n.p.

As for a variety of meanings: The term "Christian" is also used adjectivally to describe anything associated with Christianity, or in a proverbial sense "all that is noble, and good, and Christ-like."-Schaff, Philip. "V. St. Paul and the Conversion of the Gentiles (Note 496)". History of the Christian Church.
And : It is also used as a label to identify people who associate with the cultural aspects of Christianity, irrespective of personal religious beliefs or practices. - Dawkins: I'm a cultural Christian. BBC News. 10 December 2007.

True Christians argue from the perspective that Christianity refers to more than simply living a "good" lifestyle, as the very merits of Christianity state in Ephesians 2:9, "Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it." And in Titus 3:5, "He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit."

When we take that into consideration, we the true meaning behind Christianity is a belief in which none of us is superior to anyone else in society. We are all created in the image of God, and are therefore all deserving of respect and love"as people. We are merely redeemed by the sacrifice of Christ on the Cross for the remission of sins. Nothing we do on this earth is simply good enough to merit Eternal Life. However, this does not excuse us from attempting to live a life of righteousness" essentially attempting to mirror the life of Christ while He was on earth by following His teachings and example.

So what did Christ teach us according to the Bible? He taught us that He was the way to God. In John 14:6, "Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me." And that He and God were "One" " John 10:30. By this, and many other examples in the Bible, true Christianity teaches that Christ is the way to God, and the way to know truth, and inherit eternal life.

I would go into further examples of the things Christianity teaches, but that is kind of off topic. We are focusing on how Christianity is the valid answer to God. Based upon just two verses I have provided, coming from the words of Christ, He himself proclaims that He is the only way to God "
I would also point out that at that time, Christ was essentially considered a terrorist by the religious leaders of His time for making such a proclamation " and was eventually sentenced to death for making the claim. Ergo, even in His time, people had a problem with the idea that Christianity (the teachings of Christ and belief in Him) as being the only way to God.

However, I also remember vivid examples of non-believers who have stressed the importance of Christianity, and the changes it brings within society and finding God. For example, Matthew Parris" article: "As an atheist, I truly believe Africa needs God." I find it uniquely interesting that a proclaimed atheist journalist even recognizes Christianity in his article as the means to finding God.

http://old.richarddawkins.net...
A906500a

Pro

A906500a forfeited this round.
Jackthemarine86

Con

Pro has forfeited argument rounds of this debate. I refer to my argument in round 2.
Posted by LifeMeansGodIsGood 7 years ago
LifeMeansGodIsGood
I think he means the idea that God created him, he sinned against God, and God loved him so much that He took on a body as Jesus Christ, the Son of God conceived of the Holy Spiit and payed for his sins with His own blood and rose from the grave bodily to give eternal life to all who believe on Him and receive Him by faith is not a valid explation for God. I think this is what he means by "christianity". If all of this is valid, it would mean that the Creator who became the Saviour by taking his death would have the right to reject and cast into fire of hell all who reject Him who paid for their sins with His own blood........and he does not want to concede that right to God because it would mean he would have to give up his pride and let God rule over him.
Posted by YakovD 7 years ago
YakovD
I agree with what oculus_de_logica said.
Posted by oculus_de_logica 7 years ago
oculus_de_logica
You'll have to be a lot more specific. what defines it as valid? what does valid mean to god? what are you debating?
Posted by YakovD 7 years ago
YakovD
Can you specify about what you mean by Christianity? Ex. Catholicism, Protestantism, Latter Day Saints.
Vote Placed by GodChoosesLife 7 years ago
GodChoosesLife
A906500aJackthemarine86Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con didn't FF like pro did and on too of that con gave a good argument.
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 7 years ago
Actionsspeak
A906500aJackthemarine86Tied
Vote Placed by jamccartney 7 years ago
jamccartney
A906500aJackthemarine86Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro is correct, Christianity is highly invalid. However, he forfeited, which means all points go to Con. What a shame, knowing that Pro was right while Con was wrong.
Vote Placed by PiercedPanda 7 years ago
PiercedPanda
A906500aJackthemarine86Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Since pro forfeited all rounds, con was the only one with an argument. This gives him points for more convincing arguments, and furthermore in his arguments he has sources supporting them. Points for conduct due to the forfeit of the entire debate.