Anonymous
BertrandsTeapot

Christianity is a religion.

Pro

People believe Christianity is a thing, and they believe in the morals, principals, and aspects of the aforementioned subject; therefore, it is a religion. Prove me wrong, I dare you.
BertrandsTeapot

Con

I accept this challenge!

Pro

Religion (r=8;G2;l=8;dA8;(ə)n): a particular system of faith and worship. Christianity is a particular system in which you have faith in and worship God and Jesus.
PS. I didn't think anyone would take the debate...
BertrandsTeapot

Con

Perhaps this should've been better phrased as, "Christianity is more of a cult than a religion." Please defend the difference between Christianity and a cult?

Those are the exact same definitions and criterion for cults, only held by less people.

"He claimed that when he was a child, God had spoken to him and said, "You"re the chosen one. You are my messiah,"" - David Koresh

Jesus, Muhammed, Krishna...how were they different from any cult leaders today? They exploited peoples' naive beliefs for their own self gain. Sure, some of them believe they've actually spoken to some divine authority, but where is the proof in that?

Sociological experiments have shown time and time again the followers, in some sort of delusional state, tend to exaggerate all that about whom they follow, whether they ascribe to them divine powers or otherwise. Typically, this "guru" is able to perform some sort of "miracles" that aren't humanly possible.

Pro

Jeez, I posted this as a joke. But I guess I'll defend my point.
Essentially, a cult is of a smaller scale. Both are systems of worship to an object or figure, but cults are usually classified more as the systems which have few followers. As for your remark about Jesus, he didn't gain anything, really. He had a following of twelve and got crucified, which is classified as one of the worst ways to die. Muhammed, on the other hand... Due to my current geographical location and the local laws of said territory, all I can say is that he was a bit different from Jesus in many ways. Even if accounts of Jesus are exaggerated, Christianity can still be classified as a religion.
BertrandsTeapot

Con

So, just to clarify, the only difference between a religion and a cult is the number of followers? I'd be curious where you draw the line between cults and religions.

If we both agree that the only difference between religions and cults is following, I'd happily call this a draw.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
Jeez... People get fired up too much about religion.
Posted by BertrandsTeapot 3 years ago
BertrandsTeapot
Christianity is no more a religion than Elvis-tology
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
@DylanTheGreatk
That's kind of the point.
@Im_Intelligent
Your name is ironic. Religions don't necessarily have to be true, such as the flying spaghetti monster and all of the other ones that I disagree with... But it is part of religion to believe it is a fact of life. Your "edgy" post failed miserably because seeing it as a fact of life is part of religion.
Posted by Im_Intelligent 3 years ago
Im_Intelligent
Because people are so ignorant they dont see it as a religion but rather a fact of life, kinda pathetic.
Posted by DylanTheGreatk 3 years ago
DylanTheGreatk
I don't understand how Christianity would not be a religion