PassiveSquirrel
Blobbler

Churches Paying Taxes

PassiveSquirrel

PassiveSquirrel

Pro

Churches should pay taxes because they are just like other companies that pay taxes. Churches make money, And all companies who make money get taxed. By taxing churches their would be an estimated $71 billion worth of taxes. $71 billion is a lot of money that could be spent to benefit the world. Yes, Churches do donate money, But the Mormon church spends only. 7% of their annual income on charity. The American Red Cross spends 92. 1% of their income to assist people. "Wal-Mart, For instance, Gives about $1. 75 billion in food aid to charities each year, Or twenty-eight times all of the money allotted for charity by the United Methodist Church and almost double what the LDS Church has given in the last twenty-five years. (Derek Beres, 2012)"

Source: https://bigthink. Com/21st-century-spirituality/how-to-make-71-billion-a-year-tax-the-churches
Blobbler

Con

Church should not pay taxes because they are the center for religions. People rely on them to help themselves worship gods and to live through and with their religion but I am a simple cow with not much knowledge of pigs. Pigs are a mystery to me they are always bouncing around with their big fat pig butts. I am attracted to pigs but I am to nervous to tell anyone because my mom and dad are very strinkt. They are kind of strange and they really confuse me some times, But I really like cows and butterscotch and yeah Japan! ALSO I MAY WARN YOU THAT THIS SITE IS JUST A LOT OF WORDS SO IF YOU DON'T LIKE READING GO TO THE BOOKSTORE DWEEB! * Also, You better floss! I mean the teeth kinda floss don't do that garbage in my face!

Source(s): https://sites. Google. Com/madisoned. Org/archived-candy-club/
PassiveSquirrel

Pro

Hope you are having a good day!

My opponent said, "Church should not pay taxes because they are the center for religions. " Sure churches are the center for religion, But they shouldn't be tax exempt. All places that make money pay taxes, Except churches. Churches make money, Lots of it, And they don't donate that much. Also, I just went to your source and found that it has nothing to do with the topic.

Blobbler

Con

"When adults respond quickly and consistently to bullying behavior they send the message that it is not acceptable. Research shows this can stop bullying behavior over time.

Parents, School staff, And other adults in the community can help kids prevent bullying by talking about it, Building a safe school environment, And creating a community-wide bullying prevention strategy. " Stop bullying NOW.

Sources: https://www. Stopbullying. Gov/
PassiveSquirrel

Pro

I don"t understand how your debate relates to the topic. Did you accidentally put this on the wrong debate? If so fell free to tell me in the comments of this debate.

Anyways, Churches make money, And don"t donate that much away. The should be taxed for what they make. That is all I have to say.
Blobbler

Con

I feel weird. I feel needed I feel interesting. What do these words describe? Well, Me! What am I? A person! What is plural person? People! What do people do? Go to church!
"Take me to church
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, Let me give you my life"
What is this? Lyrics of Take Me To Church by Hozier. Churches need to be free and not pay taxes because so many people rely on them, And they'd be hurt to hear that the places they go to to worship the gods are paying taxes. PassiveSquirrel, Your debate is making it more likely to have churches taxed, Make people get hurt, All because of you. Don't hurt these people, Squirrel, These people need to live in peace, With freedom and rights. Let the religious thrive with their ways of living!

No sources, This is the land of the free and the home of the brave.
Posted by YorkLawFirm 4 months ago
YorkLawFirm
I totally agree with Hitchslapper
Posted by Hitchslapper 5 months ago
Hitchslapper
Culture Of Feelings-related = I feel that god exists. Because you surely don't have any good evidence he does, One has faith, A bunch of feelings unsupported by any good evidence

Charities can and do exist without mythology. Churches deal in intellectual dishonesty, Aka mythology, Charities do not.

A charity can be tax exempt, But a business built on lies should not be tax exempt, Even if it participates in charity, Because we should not reward intellectual dishonesty and intellectual dishonesty is not a prerequisite to charity

These tax exemptions are manipulated all the time. John Travolta, Famous Scientologist, Puts things under the church of Scientology name, In order to avoid taxation

We need to stop coddling ideas that are ridiculous, And the ideas of religion are ridiculous, The idea of charities is not ridiculous

Some people are charitable because of religion, Some are charitable because they are nice :)
Posted by MyacronymissimplyCEE 5 months ago
MyacronymissimplyCEE
Irrelevant argument. It's based in "X should have to do as I do", a relative "fairness"-argument. I file it under MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS. What difference does it make? The only people who might argue they are "personally affected" by this, are the angry, ants-in-the-pants atheists, and this is Culture Of Feelings-related, so, again--Irrelevant.

The notion of "the rules are the same for everyone", is demonstrably untrue at every turn, in our culture. "Should", does not exist.
MyacronymissimplyCEE

Posted by GabrielleGresge 6 months ago
GabrielleGresge
Save your marriage divorce and breakup today with the help of Robinsonbuckler@ {{yahoo}. Com
Posted by Ozarkheart 6 months ago
Ozarkheart
I believe there should not be any tax exemptions - whether for profit or not for profit (churches, Hospitals, Charity organizations. The way, All are treated equally and can operate their organization however they so desire.
Posted by WhoPutYouOnThePlanet 7 months ago
WhoPutYouOnThePlanet
In northern america you got catholic churches every few miles from each other, In southern america you got fundamentalist churches, In all of america you have a system of tax avoiding, Child indoctrinating establishments taking advantage of people.
Posted by croweupc 7 months ago
croweupc
If churches are a true non profit, Fine. The issue here is that people are collecting their paychecks from the church offering (tithes) as a livelihood. Sounds like for profit to me. Also, Every other non profit has to be politically neutral, But religions like talking politics. If they talk politics they should lose their non profit status just like all other non profit organizations.
Posted by thamer22 8 months ago
thamer22
Wouldn't taxing a church kind of defeat the purpose of the establishment clause?
Posted by AMcCormack21 8 months ago
AMcCormack21
How about nobody pays taxes and the government stops spending an exorbitant amount of money?
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
PassiveSquirrelBlobblerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Countering bad votes.
Vote Placed by alexstilts 1 year ago
alexstilts
PassiveSquirrelBlobblerTied
Reasons for voting decision: I did not walk away with a perfectly defined opinion, but Pro made much better arguments here and gave me food for thought.
Vote Placed by omar2345 1 year ago
omar2345
PassiveSquirrelBlobblerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had a debate. Against was speaking about other stuff. Pro did rebut his only claim "Church should not pay taxes because they are the center for religions." with "All places that make money pay taxes, Except churches." It wasn't the best but his starting argument was enough since against did not rebut any of them.