TheMcGintyMan
32doni32nido32

Churches should be allowed to turn down LGBT couples who want to be married

TheMcGintyMan has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

TheMcGintyMan

Pro

Yes they should be. If I was a reverend, or a preacher, I would not marry LGBTQ couples. my reason being that the bible clearly states that marriage is to be between a man and a woman.

This is pretty much the exact same thing as not serving a drunk man at a restaurant. The church should be allowed to turn down whoever it wants.
32doni32nido32

Con

I'm not really disagreeing with the facts that they should be ALLOWED to turn down LGBT couples, but am mostly just going to say that it is ridiculous to do so. It's the other people's marriage, not yours or anyone else's. Just the couple's.

No, it's not the exact same thing as serving a drunk man at a restaurant (or not doing so). People who are lesbian or gay don't have anything wrong with their brain like someone who is intoxicated does.
Posted by ProtonBolt 3 years ago
ProtonBolt
Logically, a reverend should be allowed to turn down LGBT couples who want to be married. Although it may be the couple's choice to get married, a reverend asked to marry them should be allowed to turn down the request because that reverend will be giving consent to their actions if that reverend marries them. If the reverend does not agree with that action, and is forced to marry them, it would be a violation of beliefs and conscience.
Posted by Thoht 3 years ago
Thoht
What country are you speaking of? As far as I'm aware no preacher in mine is required to marry whomever they don't wish to, but LGBTQ+ couples can get married in any court of law.