Coolguy11
ThatoneYazzybandkid

Coming out on social media is unnecessary

Coolguy11 has forfeited round #5.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Coolguy11

Pro

This is not an anti-gay post, relax. I'm also not saying LGBT people should hide it. I'm simply saying it's unnecessary for every one of your Facebook friends/Twitter/Insta followers to know that you are gay. It makes sense only to tell people who you are close with, such as family and close friends, basically anybody who should care about your intimate life. What do you think?
ThatoneYazzybandkid

Con

Okie. So, I'm not saying that you are wrong. Yes sometimes it is unnecessary, cause a lot of times, people do it just for attention. But people, like me for say, do it to show that you aren't scared for coming out to parents. If you do it on the internet, then you might have enough courage to come out to your parents. Like me. I'm scared to come out to my parents cause they are very homophobic. I'm not going to say my sexuality cause that will defeat the purpose of this debate but it can also help if you are in a support group with people who have came out before. I am in a support group in Instagram and they have helped a lot. I haven't came out t my parents yet, but i will. But I will agree that sometimes it is unnecessary to some out on social media. Unless you really need the help. Like if you have LGBT friends that have already been through it, then it is a really big help. It is also really heartwarming to see them get excited that you are that gender/sexuality cause they just het so damn happy. But yeah. I really hope to see your side of this!
Coolguy11

Pro

So you say it is necessary as a form of support and to show you are not afraid to tell your parents. That makes sense don't get me wrong but I'm wondering; if people want to show that they are not afraid to tell their parents, wouldn't just telling their parents be the perfect way to prove it? I understand it may be hard for some people to do, especially if someone has parents like yours; homophobes. A support group would be fitting for that situation but I'm not sure if that's the same thing as coming out on social media; a support group is composed of people who are willing to help in this situation, they're not just random facebook friends. What do you think about that?
ThatoneYazzybandkid

Con

Yea. For some people it is hard to just straight (haha lmao gay puns are fun) come out to their parents without any help. Like me. But also people use it to come out and make friends that are the same sexuality/gender as them so that they have more people to relate to. But if they didnt come out on the internet, then the people who wanna relate the gay and the queers, cant know who they are cause they dont state it. Do you know what i mean?
Coolguy11

Pro

I see where you're coming from but if somebody tells the internet before telling their parents, wouldn't that be a bad idea? Because the parents could find out through the grapevine or somebody could tell their parents without the individual's permission. I think that's called "outing." So what you're saying is that joining a network of LGBT people can help.
ThatoneYazzybandkid

Con

Well there you go! So this is what i would do. I would probably come out on the internet first, and if my parents find out, they would come and talk to me about it. That way you wouldnt have to go through the anxiety of telling the, and then probably getting disowned(@myhouse). But that is just how I would do it cause i can get real social anxiety from talking about the LGBTQ+ community infront of my parents. but yeah.
Coolguy11

Pro

Interesting, makes sense. Thank you! :)
ThatoneYazzybandkid

Con

No Problem! It was a fun debate to have and i hope you enjoyed it as much as i did!
Posted by ThatoneYazzybandkid 3 years ago
ThatoneYazzybandkid
bruh chill. They said that they werent being an anti-gay debate. Lmao but yea i agree.
Posted by 194616 3 years ago
194616
They should be able to come out to whom ever they want without punishment. It is none of your business weather they want to come out or not, do not push them into the closet