Thiest_1998
Nicholaspanda

Contradictions in Genesis

Thiest_1998 has forfeited round #5.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Thiest_1998

Con

If someone can prove that they're contradiction in Genesis I will abandon my faith
Nicholaspanda

Pro

Hello. I just want to thank my opponent for bringing up such an interesting topic that people have debated for years - are there contradictions Genesis? After reading the chapters of Genesis, I'll be providing questions that seem to offer issues for Christian apologetics. I will be posting one contradiction per round. This is for a few reasons:

1. I would like my opponent to be able to give a complete rebuttal towards one specific contradiction at a time.

2. The organization is much cleaner

Question:

Did God put Adam in the garden twice?

* Genesis 2:8 (NASB)

"The Lord God planted a garden toward the east, in Eden; and there He placed the man whom He had formed." [1]

* Genesis 2:15 (NASB)

"Then the Lord God took the man and put him into the garden of Eden to cultivate it and keep it." [2]

Contradiction:

Isn't this a clear contradiction in the Bible? Growing up, I've been taught God put Adam in the garden once. If not, why does the text say it twice?

1. https://www.biblegateway.com... ---> Genesis 2

2. Ibid

I'll be intrigued by your rebuttal.
Thiest_1998

Con

Hi Nicholaspanda

Thank you for choosing to debate me, I would also like to thank you for your humbled approach.

I should have cleared this up from round one which is if we could only refer to the King James Bible because it is the one that I am familiar with.

My answer: in Genesis 2:8 God is saying where he put Man after he created and Genesis 2:15 states why he put him there I will put in bracket the texts that states this.

15 And the Lord God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden (to dress it and to keep it).

I patiently await your response.
Nicholaspanda

Pro

Here is a comparison of the Biblical and Scientific sequence of living things:

Bible

• Plants and Fruit Trees
        • Sun, Moon, and Stars
        • Life in oceans
        • Birds
        • Sea Monsters
        • Domestic and Wild Mammals
        • Humans

Science

• Sun, Moon
        • Prokaryote Bacteria, Archaea Photo-Synthetic bacteria Life in oceans
        • Insects
        • Amphibians
        • reptiles, Birds
        • Mammals
        • Flowering Plants, Fruit trees
        • Humans

Please explain which side is correct, because as of right now, this is a clear contradiction - right?

I'll be intrigued by your next response.
Thiest_1998

Con

I don't know how to answer the question because I don't know why God created life in those sequences and and I don't know how scientist came to the conclusion on that's how life came in existence

Thank you
Nicholaspanda

Pro

Hello, Theist_1998. To clarify, there are no contradictions in the question I gave you. As any Christian would know, there are plenty of metaphors in the passages of the Bible. With this being said, if we read the Bible literally, we must underline the good with the bad. As a graduated computer science major, James Shewey, put's it:

"If we read the scripture literally when scripture says the earth is flat, this must also be taken literally. If we can therefore move past the fact that scripture literally says the earth is flat without this being a crushing blow to our faith, then we can also move past the fact that plants were created before light, or the fact that in Genesis 2:5-10 it indicates that plants did not appear until after the creation of mankind (The same word, שִׂ֣יחַ is used in both Genesis 1 and Genesis 2:5) and similar contradictions and incongruities. These needn't detract from the theological truth and perfection of scriptures unless we let them by examining scripture from the wrong frame of reference."

If you need further sources, I'd love to refer you to some websites and people.

Moving forward, here is a statement that is taken from:

1. http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com...

Some people will never die.

Enoch never died.

"And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him." Genesis 5:24
"By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him." Hebrews 11:5

Neither did Elijah.

"There appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven." 2 Kings 2:11

Or Melchisedec.

"Melchisedec ... without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually." Hebrews 7:1-3
"And Jesus said that you won't either, if you believe in him and do what he says. Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death." John 8:51
"And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die." John 11:26

Everyone will die.

"Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men." Romans 5:12
"And as it is appointed unto men once to die." Hebrews 9:27

Please explain why some men die while others don't. I'll be interested and intrigued by your response.
Thiest_1998

Con

I'm not sure but this is the only thing I could find.

Revelation 11:3-12
Nicholaspanda

Pro

I for one didn't see any problems with this question because it's not a contradiction. Kenneth Heck describes this issue as such:

"Both Enoch and Elijah lived in times of overwhelming iniquity. Their unusual exit from the earth foreshadows the coming time of the Rapture when conditions on the earth will be similar. They are the Old Testament intimation of the future rapture of Christians.

That Elijah is still alive is indicated by Mal 4:5-6. If he were dead his body would not be preserved for his physical return.

"Enoch was translated that he should not see death;" (Heb 11:5). If he did not see death, then he did not die, and his body has also not been abandoned to death to return to the dust.

Neither Elijah or Enoch ascended into heaven. They left the earth only by direct divine intervention, not by their own power. Only Christ has ascended into heaven (without the aid of anyone else). Exactly which heaven Elijah and Enoch were brought to hasn't been revealed in the Bible.
If the separation of the soul from the body satisfies Heb 9:27, then it is quite possible that the souls of both Enoch and Elijah were separated from their bodies only after they entered heaven. The advantage is that their bodies would be completely preserved from any corruption and able to be used again on earth."

Moving on, here is another supposed contraction taken from:

1. http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com...;

There is only one god.
Unto thee it was shewed, that thou mightest know that the LORD he is God; there is none else beside him. Deuteronomy 4:35

The LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else. Deuteronomy 4:39

Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord. Deuteronomy 6:4

See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me. Deuteronomy 32:39

The LORD, he is the God; the LORD, he is the God. 1 Kings 18:39

I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. Isaiah 43:10

I am the LORD, and there is none else ... There is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else. Isaiah 44:8

I am the Lord, and there is none else, there is no God beside me. Isaiah 45:5-6

There is no God else beside me ... There is none beside me. Isaiah 45:21

I am God, and there is none else: I am God, and there is none like me. Isaiah 46:9

The Lord our God is one Lord. Mark 12:29

There is one God; and there is none other but he. Mark 12:32

That they might know thee the only true God. John 17:3

But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him. 1 Corinthians 8:6

There are several gods. In the book of Genesis, God used a plural pronoun to refer to himself (herself, itself, or themselves), implying that there is more than one god up there.
And God said, let us make man in our image. Genesis 1:26

And the Lord God said, Behold, then man is become as one of us, to know good and evil. Genesis 3:22

Let us go down, and there confound their language. Genesis 11:7

The Old Testament God is a "god of gods" who is worshiped by the other gods..
For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords. Deuteronomy 10:17

Worship him, all ye gods. Psalm 97:7

O give thanks unto the God of gods. Psalm 136:2

No other god is like him.
Among the gods there is none like unto thee, O Lord. Psalm 86:8
He is better than the other gods.
Who is like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods? Exodus 15:11

Now I know that the LORD is greater than all gods. Exodus 18:11

Thou shalt have no other gods before me. ... Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them. Exodus 20:3-5

What God is there in heaven or in earth, that can do according to thy works?Deuteronomy 3:24

Our Lord is above all gods. Psalm 135:5

The other gods will die someday.
The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth, even they shall perish from the earth, and from under these heavens. Jeremiah 10:11
The Hebrew God judges the other gods.
And against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment. Exodus 12:12

Upon their gods also the LORD executed judgments. Numbers 33:4

God standeth in the congregation of the mighty, he judgeth among the gods. Psalm 82:1

And will punish them.
I will punish the multitude of No, and Pharaoh, and Egypt, with their gods. Jeremiah 46:25

The Lord will be terrible to them: for he will famish all the gods of the earth. Zephaniah 2:11

He is a jealous God (whose name is Jealous). So he forbids us to "go after" or worship any of his competitors.
For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God. Exodus 34:14

Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you; (For the LORD thy God is a jealous God among you.) Deuteronomy 6:14-15

Thou shalt not ... go after other gods to serve them. Deuteronomy 28:14

If you give God glory, he'll go easy on you and all your other gods.
Ye shall give glory unto the God of Israel: peradventure he will lighten his hand from off you, and from off your gods. 1 Samuel 6:5

And go not after other gods to serve them, and to worship them, and provoke me not to anger with the works of your hands; and I will do you no hurt. Jeremiah 25:6

But you must fear God more than all the other gods.
The Lord ... is to be feared above all gods. 1 Chronicles 16:25

For the Lord ... is to be feared above all gods. Psalm 96:4

Don't sacrifice to any of the other gods. (Or God will kill you.)
He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed. Exodus 22:20
Don't put any of the other gods before him.
Thou shalt have none other gods before me. Deuteronomy 5:7
Don't make a covenant with them.
Thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor with their gods. Exodus 23:32
Don't burn incense to them.
I will utter my judgments against them ... who have forsaken me, and have burned incense unto other gods. Jeremiah 1:16
Or even mention their names.
Make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth.Exodus 23:13
Put away your father's gods.
Fear the Lord ... and put away the gods which your fathers served. Joshua 24:14
And stay away from the god named Chemosh.
Wilt not thou possess that which Chemosh thy god giveth thee to possess? Judges 11:24
But don't revile the other gods.
Thou shalt not revile the gods. Exodus 22:28
Other people served other gods (as did Abraham's father Terah).
Your fathers dwelt on the other side of the flood in old time, even Terah, the father of Abraham, and the father of Nachor: and they served other gods. Joshua 24:2
And a witch once saw gods going up to heaven.
And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth. 1 Samuel 28:13
Always remember that people are gods too. (Jesus used this when he was accused of making himself a god.)
I have said, Ye are gods. Psalm 82:6

The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? John 10:33-34

And the three gods in heaven are really only one god. (Don't worry about this one too much. It's a mystery.)
For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 1 John 5:7

Please explain is there more than one God? I'll be intrigued by your response.
Posted by Nicholaspanda 3 years ago
Nicholaspanda
@JamesCroft, I'm not an atheist, if you're referring to me.
Posted by JamesCroft 3 years ago
JamesCroft
I love schooling atheists on these topics.
Posted by Thiest_1998 3 years ago
Thiest_1998
@missmedic probably satan
Posted by Thiest_1998 3 years ago
Thiest_1998
@ philochristos I won't because there aren't any.
Posted by canis 3 years ago
canis
There are no contradictions in "lord of the rings" either...So what..Another book..
Posted by Surgeon 3 years ago
Surgeon
Why would anyone want you to abandon your faith? It is not the goal of an atheist to 'convert' you. Most like me don't care, it is your life and mind and if you wish to believe abject nonsense, go ahead as long as it doesn't impact negatively on others.

I suspect however you use arguments like this to bolster your belief as you will not accept any of the many contradictions in the bible, having rescuing strategies worked out in advance. The problem for you is that in doing this you miss the interesting part and inherent treasure of the bible. It's contradictions are evidence of the different authors, compilation strategies, traditions moulded and evolving over time into a flawed but fascinating document. But no you would probably prefer to take it literally and reconcile its problems without reference to those issues, because to admit otherwise would mean it isn't the word of a god.
Posted by missmedic 3 years ago
missmedic
Who was the talking snake?
Posted by philochristos 3 years ago
philochristos
Your profile says you are a Christians. I don't think you should abandon that merely because there are contradictions in Genesis. After all, there could be a God even if Genesis contradicted itself. Jesus could be the messiah even if Genesis contradicted itself. Jesus could've died for sins even if Genesis contradicted itself. But if there is a God, Jesus is the messiah, and Jesus died for sins, then Christianity is true, even if Genesis contradicted itself. If Genesis contradicted itself, all that would follow is that Genesis is not the inerrant word of God, but it wouldn't even follow that it wasn't true for the most part. So I hope your whole faith doesn't hinge on whether Genesis contradicts itself or not.