Thiest_1998
debate0101

Contradictions in the Bible

Thiest_1998

Con

Anyone believes otherwise prove it
debate0101

Pro

The bible was written by more than 30 authors expressing their own opinions and imaginations in scriptures. With that said, each author have a right to their own opinions and imaginations of what they believe represents their personal view of what their god may be like. And with many opinions written expressed by different authors, the opportunity for contradictions and conflicting thoughts are very likely.

For example, the author for the books of john, believes that his god knows all things:

"for God is greater than our heart and knows all things" - John 3:20

But from the author for the books of Genesis, he believes that his god does not know all things and is open to making mistakes. Here, his god regrets destroying all living creatures when he realized after his act of devastation against all living things in the world, that he did not create humans to be perfect:

"never again will I curse the ground of humans, even though every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood. and never again will I destroy all living creatures as I have done." - Genesis 8:21

So while one author believes that his god knows all things and cannot make mistakes, the author for the books of Genesis believes that his god can express regret for the mistake he has made and promises never to destroy all living creatures ever again.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and participating in this debate.
Thiest_1998

Con

To contest your first stanza I believe that the authors are expressing the way God wants to be interpreted through inspiration and I should've clarified that the kjv would be the version we would be reviewing in this debate.

Because with kjv the scripture I got was
John 3:20
For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
which seems very different to what you said

out of curiosity what version are you using?

You said

my response

I doesn't actually say that he doesn't know all things he just made a promise to himself that he will never destroy the world again he didn't say he regrets it he did it for good reason so I doubt he would even regret it he did it because the world was filled with wickedness

Genesis 6:11-13 King James Version (KJV)
11 The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.

12 And God looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth.

13 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

No Thank you for sharing your thoughts and participating in this debate.
debate0101

Pro

There is an obvious reason as to why the god character decided to destroy all living things on the earth in the story in the first place. It is because he regretted and repented that he made all living things:

"And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them." - Genesis 6:7 KJV

So would an "all-knowing" god character make the mistake of creating living things and destroying them because he didn't know that they would only cause him regret and repentance after he destroys them? No. An "all-knowing" god character would not bother destroying his creations, because he would have already known that they would not be perfect and knew the entire future of each living creature he created.

Thus, this demonstrates an absolute Contradiction written in the bible. One author believes that the god character is "all-knowing", while the author for the books of Genesis believes that the god character does not know the outcome of whether his creations will need to be destroyed or not if they do not meet his satisfaction.

The next contradiction in the bible is as follows:

"I, the LORD, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give to each man according to his ways, According to the results of his deeds." - Jeremiah 17:10

As stated in this verse, the god character admits to "testing" the mind of man. If the god character is "all-knowing" does the god character need to test the mind of man? No.

An "all-knowing" god character would already know the future for every living creature he has created even before they are born on earth.

Therefore, this is another demonstration of absolute Contradiction written in the bible. One author believes that the god character is "all-knowing", while the author for the books of Jeremiah forgot that an "all-knowing" god character does not need to perform any tests against his creations because an "all-knowing" god character would already knows it's future.

If we know the future for the result of 10 + 10. Do we need to test this by gathering 10 oranges and 10 apples and counting them to get the sum? No. We already know that the future for 10 + 10 is 20. Thus, testing is not required. Unfortunately, the author for the books of Jeremiah failed to apply this concept when integrating an "all-knowing" god character in his stories.

I would like to thank Instigator for giving me this opportunity to expose the diverse Contradictions that naturally result from having too many authors contributing to their own personal inspirations, imaginations, and written opinions of what attributes they believed that their god in the bible should have.
Thiest_1998

Con

If God made the mistake by creating humans because we would 'all' be corrupt then he wouldn't have made us in the first place but not everyone was as we find out later in the story

Genesis 6:8-91 King James Version (KJV)
8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

9 These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.

You said

My response

A test does not have to be about trying to find out someones potential but it could be about helping the subject finding their own potential, God may know our potential but we don't.

I would like to say you're one of the most if not the most formal people I've debated it was a pleasure debating you.
debate0101

Pro

You said, "If God made the mistake by creating humans because we would 'all' be corrupt then he wouldn't have made us in the first place"

You have made a correct assertion. If a god character knew that it was a mistake for creating humans, he would not have made us in the first place.

And the author for the books of Genesis made that exact mistake. The author integrated a god character that didn't know if it was a mistake to create humans in the first place. But he made the god character create humans anyway, and realized later that it was a mistake to create them, so he destroyed them:

So does a god character "who does not know" a contradiction to a god that is "all-knowing"? Yes.

Is it the god character's fault for "not knowing" that his human creations would eventually disappoint him? No, it is the author for the books of Genesis who is at fault and who forgot that the god character he integrated in his story was supposed to be "all-knowing".

(Noah is not a subject of contradiction, so elaborating on the Noah character would be counter-productive)

You said, "A test does not have to be about trying to find out someones potential but it could be about helping the subject finding their own potential, God may know our potential but we don't."

Yes, we may not know our potential, but for us to know our own potential does not raise any concerns of contradiction.

The contradiction being addressed here is whether or not the god character is "all-knowing". But since the god character needed to test the mind of man to understand what kind of man he has created, this demonstrates a god character that is "not-knowing".

So let us recall the verse that states that the god character needs to test the human mind of his own design and creation:

So, is it the god character's fault for "not knowing" his own human creations that he needs to test their minds? No, it is the author for the books of Jeremiah who is at fault and who forgot that the god character he integrated in his story was supposed to be "all-knowing" and does not require the mind-testing of any of his own creations. Because such god character who designed and created his humans would know every chemical, neuron, brain matter, electrical impulses, thoughts, etc. that would form in his mind even before he is born into the world.

How? By virtue of being "all-knowing", which includes the power to know the future for every event and experience each of his creations encounter in it's entire life cycle.

Therefore, we can conclude that the authors of the bible did not always agree with the kind of god that they wanted to present in their stories. Some authors believed that their god is "all-knowing", while other authors were inspired to create a god that wasn't "all-knowing" by revealing a god character that would express "regret and repentance", mistakes, and the need to test his creations.

But when it comes to expressing their own opinions, every author of the bible had that right. And this is why so many people argue about one verse versus another verse in the bible; they don't realize or can't admit that each verse originates from the opinions of their own respective authors; that of which can result in Contradictions.

I'm glad that this debate was very educational. And I thank Instigator again for participating even until the final round.
Posted by mosc 3 years ago
mosc
@Masterful, Retard, Look who's calling the kettle black. You and your family - burn in Dresden.
Posted by Masterful 3 years ago
Masterful
While I would say the Bible is for retards, Christianity is needed in this day and age. Islam is growing and I believe that the only way to beat Islam is through another religion.
We need another crusade and I will march with the Christians to utterly annihilate the growing Islamist threat.