RichardCarter
Nehaa2005

Corporal Punishment is Wrong

Nehaa2005 has forfeited round #1.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

RichardCarter

Pro

Note: This is actually my 3rd attempt on this topic. Things went wrong in my life, causing me to not respond on round 2 of the 2nd attempt. I promise, however, I will stick to finish this debate.

In this debate, I will be arguing that corporate punishment in homes is a wrong way to teach your child a lesson.

Definition, according to dictionary.com

noun

physical punishment, as spanking, inflicted on a child by an adult or authority.

I will be targeting home corporal punishments.

Round 1: Acceptance ONLY
Round 2: Arguments ONLY
Round 3: Rebuttals to Round 2
Round 4: Rebuttals to Round 3 ONLY (not round 4) and Conclusion

Let's keep this professional.
Posted by RichardCarter 3 years ago
RichardCarter
Well, I'd love to have a flushed out debate over just corporal punishment at home. In fact, attempt 1 wasn't even that detailed on school anyway. I think I can edit it, in your favor, because not many people think differently about corporal punishment at schools.
Posted by alkhoppus 3 years ago
alkhoppus
I'd accept your debate if it was just about corporal punishment at home, but I agree with you on principle about at school. The reasoning behind my differentiation is that we entrust our children to the teachers to educate them on core subjects and to watch over them and report back to us as they interact with other children and form social bonds and habits. We entrust them to steer the children, but it is ultimately the parents' job to teach right from wrong and to punish bad behaviour. This is why teachers should be able to punish bad behaviour so as to separate the child from others, but it should fall on the parents to actually enact the full and proper punishment in order for that child to learn. I also believe that as much coming from the parents and not the teachers as possible is important so as to avoid imparting multiple lessons and confusing the child.

Corporal punishment in the household, in my eyes, is acceptable. I think it's entirely separate to assault and child abuse and should never be conflated or even cited as a slippery slope towards the latter. A child may learn from being constantly told not to do something, but they will most definitely learn, and quickly, when shown there are dire consequences to their actions. Life won't be kind to your children if you raise them to be spoiled snowflakes who can't handle rejection, fear and who believe they can get away with anything they like. A simple scalding should suffice most of the time, but when it doesn't, a flick on the wrist or on the back of the neck or on the bum will soon tell that child that this kind of behaviour is just not acceptable. They will immediately learn that doing bad things has direct repercussions that will make them feel bad, so they're less likely to do it. Most people learn by selfish means and we need to understand and accept that.