kaifen
Gamble129

Cultural Appropriation is not real

kaifen

Pro

Debate me and find out why?
Gamble129

Con

The topic presented is "Cultural Appropriation is not real". My opponent worded it in this specific way. So I will debate the existence of Cultural Appropriation. I AM NOT saying that Cultural Appropriation is bad but simply that it does exist.

Oxford Dictionaries, Which only put the phrase into its official lexicon last year, Defines cultural appropriation as "Adoption of the customs, Practices, Ideas, Etc. Of one people or society by members of another and typically more dominant people or society. "

With that in mind I will give several examples of Cultural Appropriation. Keeping in mind all I have to do is show that this does happen.

Yeah I'm sorry but as I do more and more research I find that Cultural Appropriation is dumb and that it isn't really a thing. Its just a bunch of butthurt people.
kaifen

Pro

Alright, So I'd first like to apologize. I agree with the point that the way I worded the resolution is flawed and puts me at a disadvantage and is not conducive of debate. But out the the respect for my opponent I will attempt to still debate the topic.
With that said I'll begin:

I agree with the defintion that cultural appropriation: "Adoption of the customs, Practices, Ideas, Etc. Of one people or society by members of another and typically more dominant people or society. "
I'll define cultural as the common socilogial defintion that is a set of customs and ideals that make up a particular society.
I'll define human cultura as the fundamental basis on which Human societies develop.

The arguement today is that cultural appropriation cannot happen because all culture is shared. Cultural works upward. There is no Black culture and White culture because that is just American culture overall. There is no Eurpean culture and American culture because that is just western culture. There is no western and eastern culture because that is just overall human culture. Given that all humans fall under human society, All of the customs and ideals created within humanity are all apart of a larger culture. Therefore as a human I have a right to take part in al l of humanitys culture because I am apart of that societt. I cannot appropriate somethng I have a right too.
Gamble129

Con

Gamble129 forfeited this round.
kaifen

Pro

kaifen forfeited this round.
Gamble129

Con

Gamble129 forfeited this round.