Ozzyhead
ManofFewWords

Disproving evolution is evidence for god

Ozzyhead

Ozzyhead

Con

Evolution being proven wrong would not be evidence for a god
ManofFewWords

Pro

Evolution is the only, single, explanation of how the species are all intertwined and explains why and how each and every sinlge entity on Earth has formed.

The only other way this could have happened is by the careful illusion of evolution being conjured by an intelligent designer.

There is no third alternative.
Ozzyhead

Con

The evidence for evolution is very clear, and as far as I can tell, it is unlikely to be proven wrong, but pretending the proposition is likely, we cannot safely assume that a god is real if evolution is proven wrong. Disproving one claim is not evidence for the other. It increases it's likelihood of being true, but increased likelihood and evidence are different things. Lack of evidence for one possibility is not automatic evidence for another claim. Using the basic scientific hypothesis method of "if, then", you can see this does not make sense. 'If I disprove evolution, then god is the cause of life'. That makes no sense. For a claim to have evidence, there must be something measurable about it. Everything that exists with in the universe that we know exists is measurable in some way. If a god is not from the universe, then even if a god does exist, it has not been able to distinguish itself from something that does not exist, so it makes as much sense to believe in a god as it does to believe in something that does not exist.
ManofFewWords

Pro

Actually it makes perfect sense to say 'If I disprove evolution, then god is the cause of life' because there is no third alternative.

It's either creationism or evolution.

What part of this are you finding hard to understand?
Ozzyhead

Con

A claim is not good enough for something to be true. If evolution is disproved, then it opens up the whole question of where we came from. A claim needs evidence. Lack of evidence for one claim does not prove another claim
ManofFewWords

Pro

My opponent has failed to offer a third alternative to Creationism and Evolution.

I have explained why one directly negates the other and why the other must therefore be true if the other isn't due to a lack of any other alternative.

My opponent has failed to negate my argument and has tried to circle around it the entire debate by repeating that I have no evidence that God exists but that's because evolution is proven to be true so it only furthermore proves the resolution.
Posted by ManofFewWords 6 years ago
ManofFewWords
I fully explained why the resolution was true whilst he ignored my argument and kept repeating that I can't prove god over and over which I explained is because evolution hasn't been disproved.

We did no do an equally good job. He was a broken record.
Posted by ManofFewWords 6 years ago
ManofFewWords
He never once explained why the middle is possible. He just said I didn't have evidence for god.
Posted by Wylted 6 years ago
Wylted
I interpreted you as having slightly more BOP. You need to show how the law of excluded middle applies here, more than he has to show how it doesn't. Both of you did an equally bad job of arguing your point, but unfortunately your BOP was slightly higher.
Posted by ManofFewWords 6 years ago
ManofFewWords
Also that program requires and intelligent designer of it.

He never specified the Christian God. he just said 'god'.
Posted by ManofFewWords 6 years ago
ManofFewWords
Con never argued against my point nor did he explain why he doesn't have the BoP to prove the third alternative.

This about Con's failure to justify why he doesn't have BoP.

He never once addressed my argument, and I explained why I don't need proof of god to be right in Round 3.
Posted by Wylted 6 years ago
Wylted
I'll talk to you here about my vote if you want, not in any messages. Everybody agrees with me who voted, though.

You're basically saying it's either evolution or God. A third option doesn't have to be shown. There are infinite 3rd options one could think of.

Just off the top of my head:

The universe was created by a computer program 5 minutes ago. Any history before that is just programmed in and doesn't actually exist.
Posted by ManofFewWords 6 years ago
ManofFewWords
Solipsism denies god.
Posted by Surrealism 6 years ago
Surrealism
Apparently Pro is dismissing solipsism?
Posted by demonlord343 6 years ago
demonlord343
true and not true.. as sherlock said, once you eliminate the impossible, whatever is left, even if its improbable, must be the truth
Posted by DreamSymphony00 6 years ago
DreamSymphony00
I'm religious and even know this isn't true. Evolution did happen.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
OzzyheadManofFewWordsTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think Con had the burden of proof in this debate, even though he posed the challenge as a negative. Thus he had to show an alternative other than creationism or evolution. It's likely some such an explanation could be ginned up, but Con didn't try. Technically, "evidence for" is not the same as "conclusive evidence for," because many things are determined by the preponderance of evidence rather than by a single piece of evidence. So if evolution were disproved, the main explanation of speciation according to natural laws would be disproved, and that would increase the case for a magical god-based explanation. Con's assertion that the two issues are unrelated is not sustained.
Vote Placed by judeifeanyi 6 years ago
judeifeanyi
OzzyheadManofFewWordsTied
Reasons for voting decision: I will only award conduct point to pro. Because his questions was not addressed by con. Both debaters did not argue well as such, none of them addressed the over killing issue. No rebuttals was made. Infact the debate is dull
Vote Placed by Ragnar 6 years ago
Ragnar
OzzyheadManofFewWordsTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments. Basically pro left his case wide open, and con did not even respond to cross examination... BoP failure would have been an issue if a certain ID was named, but such was not a case in the setup for this debate.
Vote Placed by zmikecuber 6 years ago
zmikecuber
OzzyheadManofFewWordsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro brought up a false dichotomy saying that it's either evolution or creationism. This should have been easy for Con to refute. But he didn't really do this very well. He also didn't understand that a false dichotomy isn't a hypothetical syllogism.. it's a disjunctive one. Well neither side realized that, but I had to give arguments to Pro since Con never sufficiently showed that the dichotomy was a false one. You can't just say: That's a false dichotomy, you're obligated to show another option. If I say: you're either for me, or against me. And my opponent just states: That's false. he hasn't shown why it's false. As such, simply stating that someone has committed a fallacy doesn't show that he does, since he can simply deny that he made a fallacy which is what Pro does.
Vote Placed by whiteflame 6 years ago
whiteflame
OzzyheadManofFewWordsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Evidence requires some measure of proof, albeit it can be in a lot of different forms. I can see the argument from Pro, and I understand that in the absence of another alternative, creationism becomes the most likely among known theories as a result. If this debate was about likelihood or lending credence, it would be enough to propose. But Con sets up the debate as being dependent on evidence. I never see a sufficient link between an increase in likelihood and an increase in evidence. Perhaps if I had seen some analysis of the specifics of the evidence already present for evolution, and how the disproof of evolution would necessitate that that evidence transitions to mainly supporting creationism, I'd be likely to propose. However, as I lack that demonstrated link between disproof for evolution and increased evidence for creationism, I must negate.
Vote Placed by Raisor 6 years ago
Raisor
OzzyheadManofFewWordsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's argument could have been better explained and he should have explicitly addressed pros assertion that evolution and creationism represent an encompassing dichotomy. That being said I think his responses were marginally adequate, that disproving evolution just opens up other possibilities without directly supporting other alternatives. Good move by con ceding that disproving evolution would increase the likelihood of creationism but would not provide evidence for it.
Vote Placed by Complicated_Mind 6 years ago
Complicated_Mind
OzzyheadManofFewWordsTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments. I only gave such a long RFD because Pro told me on my profile that he was displeased with the other votes, so I decided to make a more descriptive vote to better appease Pro. In the end, however, I voted like all before me.
Vote Placed by Sswdwm 6 years ago
Sswdwm
OzzyheadManofFewWordsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro attempts to shift the BoP onto Con demanding a third option, and doesn't make substantial argumentation of his own.
Vote Placed by Wylted 6 years ago
Wylted
OzzyheadManofFewWordsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con doesn't have to offer a third option. Disproving one thing doesn't prove another. The law of excluded middle doesn't exist in this example.
Vote Placed by johnlubba 6 years ago
johnlubba
OzzyheadManofFewWordsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro never proved how proving evolution false automatically proves the existence of God, also Pro just making Con show a third way was not Con's burden, the burden was on Pro to show how if evolution is wrong it automatically proves God. Pro never did this apart from assert it. Arguments to Con