springtrap_pablo
theantiweeaboo

Do human beings have free will? compatibilist

springtrap_pablo has forfeited round #2.
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

springtrap_pablo

Pro

theantiweeaboo

Con

If, in the future, I marry a woman named Sue, the present me does not make a choice to marry Sue. I meet Sue, grow a relationship with her, and marry her, because that's what always happens, even if you relived it infinite times. Because that's what's supposed to happen, and no wrench of free will can be thrown into the system, because it simply doesn't exist. You just have the illusion of freedom, when in reality all things are set in stone. And even if you do believe in free will, how can you also believe that things are already destined to happen, no matter what? Perhaps it's just a different definition of freedom, but to me, true freedom, though impossible, can only come when your existence isn't obstructed by an outside force, or in the case of free will, when your decisions are completely up to you. Determinism says everything is already going to happen, so how can those two mix?
Explain to me why this reasoning is faulty.
Posted by DATF2NEWB 3 years ago
DATF2NEWB
Interesting
Posted by 2far4u2CharlesDarwin 3 years ago
2far4u2CharlesDarwin
Yes we do it's our own personal allusion.

Don't confuse it with a highly educated idiots with juvenile opinionated bias scientific black or white tunnel vision that continue to toss all goodness aside for there own competitive endeavours. For that is free will as well. But is not the way to becoming a well adjusted individual.

How could existences creator have unconditional love, if freewill was taken from it's own creation, by coming out from behind an eclipse, as to crucify it's own freewill?

Free will; I don't know you. I only know of you. If I ever knew myself at all. Say what you mean and mean what you say is not mean it's meant from the heart. Sometimes we need to be cruel to be kind.

An infinite progression of barriers within the act of communication. The first sign of intelligence is the ability to adapt.
Repetitious cognitive behaviour is past tense, that over time becomes habitual which is present tense. Free will is future tense. The more you comprehend the more you progress throughout the barriers in communication within your own mind and with everyone else, also the more freewill you will have to adapt.
Posted by TheMorningsStar 3 years ago
TheMorningsStar
Agree with philochristos, if we allow compatibilist free will then I can't accept, but if you mean libertarian free will, then that is a different thing entirely.
Posted by DATF2NEWB 3 years ago
DATF2NEWB
we humans do but you might not.
Posted by philochristos 3 years ago
philochristos
Do you mean free will in the libertarian sense? or the compatibilist sense? or some other sense? It wouldn't be a bad idea to define your terms.