YeshuaBought
RMTheSupreme

Do people have the right to choose how and when they die for legit reasons?

YeshuaBought

Pro

I say yes. I have the right to choose how and when I die. This is my body. Life that is forced is no life at all. I am not arguing for elective suicide, just comfortable and legal suicide if I am paralyzed, terminally ill, or injured with no hope of recovery.
RMTheSupreme

Con

Considering that we did not have the right to choose to be born, there is no legal precedent that actually leads to making sense for it to be a 'right' that we then choose when we die.

Countries that outlaw suicide are already proof against this resolution and it would be completely impossible for Pro to win the debate for those nations. The debate is not 'should people have the right' but 'do they'.

In nations where suicide is legal and not punished at all, most force the person into some form of psychiatry but those that allow the person who attempted suicide (and failed) to roam freely are still provably not considering it a right. The reason that it's not a right to them is that always (yes 100% of the time from a legal standpoint) if a non-criminal team of doctors comes via ambulance to the scene of an attempted suicide they will take away the person's right to choose to die.

The only time when a legal grey area occurs is euthanasia and this only applies to situations where the person is doomed to die anyway, just in a slower and more agonising way and if Pro is referring solely to cases of euthanasia I can counter them on the grounds that the person is choosing the 'how' but not the 'when' since the 'when' was forced upon them anyway.
YeshuaBought

Pro

I have the right to choose what to do with my body. Mind your own business, and yes we do have the right to be born. Life begins at conception.
RMTheSupreme

Con

I said we didn't have the right to remain unborn, which in theory is the same as the right to die in reverse.

I am not sure how 'mind your own business' is really an argument since all nations where suicide is outlawed for moral reasons (and that's basically all religiously-run nations) disagree with this resolution and you are advocating to change it or saying that it's a right there.
YeshuaBought

Pro

And I said, I have the right to choose what to do with my body......
RMTheSupreme

Con

Not in all nations, darling. It's also highly likely that if you were to commit suicide you'd be forcibly sectioned for your own protection by relatives.
YeshuaBought

Pro

It is cruel and unusual to deny choice to dying or paralyzed people. You don't have the right to my body. That is assault.
RMTheSupreme

Con

So can you please provide the legal precedence for this being an inviolable right?
YeshuaBought

Pro

This is my body, this is my right, for my body, I will fight, this is my body, only mine, back off of me, you'll be just fine.
RMTheSupreme

Con

If it's your body then whose body is it once 'you' are gone (dead)? What a silly point to bring up in this debate.
Posted by msoles 3 years ago
msoles
It is selfish to force someone to live who is going through such a terrible life. Psychiatrists are quick to give a depressed person some anti-depressant that has many side effects and in a lot of cases is ineffective. Anti-depressants also have life long adverse side effects. If after seeking treatment, someone shouldn't be forced to continue to live in the event the treatment failed for them nor should they be obligated to seek treatment especially with anti-depressants having potential side effects that could last long after they stop taking them.
Posted by Dinis 3 years ago
Dinis
Technically, we don"t own our bodies.

We didn"t make them, hence the cells did and don"t start with "I"m me at a cellular level"

We don"t have the right to take lives, not of others nor ourselves.

.
Posted by KhrareMak 3 years ago
KhrareMak
I support the con side. Nobody has the right to end anybody's life. Not even of themselves.