Superbattlefieldxp
DoulosChristos

Do video games actually cause violence?

Superbattlefieldxp

Con

Whilst I have seen this argument on and off for the past fifteen years I've been watching TV and gaming.
I recently came to the conclusion of that video games do not cause violent behaviour and I will tell you why...

Since I was atleast nine or eight I've had every single Playstation out there and also my parents have allowed me to play violent video games such as Gta, silent Hill and Resident Evil.
None of these games ever influenced how I grew up, I actually grew up to be a very calm and also none violent man.

I think the fact that Donald Trump is trying to blame video games for school shootings and violence is absaloutly old now and this debate ended years ago in my opinion.
DoulosChristos

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for taking the time to present his views on this subject. I would like to start off by pointing something out here.

My opponent has use his own personal experience to judge whether or not video games can cause violent behavior. While this may be the case for my opponent, we cannot use this to conclude that this will be the case for every person. All people are not the same, and what influences one mind will not necessarily influence another mind. What my opponent has not taken into consideration is that different minds respond differently to different stimuli.

I am not arguing that violent video games are the actual cause behind certain human behaviors, I think a more logical argument would state that certain images that are flashed before the brain repeatedly will, inevitably cause the viewer to become unphased by those images. If a person repeatedly has seen the digital likeness of a human being be shot, stabbed, exploded, burned, beaten, or whatever else, over years, these types of images, which the average person would not naturally see, are now entirely mundane. This is not a good mental starting point for anyone, no less those prone to violent behavior
Superbattlefieldxp

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for joining in on this subject and I would like you to know that I appreciate this alot.

Although you say I was judging from my own personal experience, I would actually like to let you know that I was only using myself as an example.

I am not coming into this debate with no knowledge, I did over two years of Games Development, but I'm not saying that I know more than you on this matter.

Since I have been on the course, we have had to write articles and arguments on what video games are doing to the kids of this generation. I have partaken in lots of research and have gained basic knowledge on the matter.

I would like to mention that just because someone or some kids have seen all these brutal moves executed within the game, does not mean that they will somehow "learn" how to be violent, but as you said, everyone is different and I understand that, which is why we have age restrictions on games.

I have also learned that kids and teenagers are usually more influenced by their parents behaviours rather than a character in a video game, even if they do see it over and over again.

Many teenagers who seem to bully, beat up or even kill may have connections to video games, but also has parents who are either divorced, abusive and very poor.

Also I want to make a quick apology to my opponent, as this is my first time debating in years and I hope it doesn't come across as I'm trying to act like the more intelligent person, because I know I'm not. Thank you
DoulosChristos

Pro

Thank you for your response, I certainly didn't take either of your posts in any way negative. No apologies necessary, I appreciate your politeness. Yes, as you pointed out, I do believe parenting, and more often than not. life circumstances can have a far, far more dramatic affect on children than any video game could have.

I do believe the two are tied together though. As we know, video games, in specific, the ones we see today, are modern phenomena, as such, this would create something of a disconnect between the parent's knowledge of the video game, and the content of the video game.

For example, how many parent's are avid players of Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto? I would argue that people from the previous generations are not nearly as familiar with these games and their content, and thus are not 100 percent aware of just how violent some games can be. This can cause parents to simply not be aware of what their child is viewing day to day.

In addition, I would argue that the ratings on games might as well be non existent. Any child of any age can purchase a T rated game, and the ones that are age restricted, how many children can play them at a friend's house?

So the rating system on games I do not believe provide adequate prevention from violent games being used by underage kids.

Ultimately, I have pointed out what I believe are flaws in the gaming industry in general, this does not necessarily correlate to video games causing violent behavior. What I do believe we need to focus on more is the fact that we tend to become what we immerse ourselves in.

Any subject can be an example. I could have no knowledge of any given subject, but through continual immersion into a subject, I will eventually become a human reference point for that subject. That is how all instruction works.

The same is the case with violent video games. While a child might not learn how to operate a firearm, or do any type of violent behaviors for that matter from just video game imaging, through repeated immersion into the culture of violence that many video games are filled with, I do believe the children who play those games can in no way be positively impacted.

However, as we both agree, different people respond differently...
Superbattlefieldxp

Con

Sorry for the late reply, I have been busy up to my neck and I have also been ill recently.

I think one of the big problems out there is parents who are unaware of what video games contain and I would advise all parents to take notice of what game the child may be playing.

Although the ratings may seem to be useless, they are there for a reason. If a child is going to play Gta for hours everyday after school, I do beleive that a child may get "ideas" from the game, but won't act on them as parents are supposed to teach you about "right and wrong" so I would agree that without that knowledge then kids could grow up to be pretty messed up.

I have learnt new things about video game violence thanks to you. I don't think video games are just the problem, but it's all a mix up of constant hours on violent games (at a young age ofcourse) and bad parenting.

I would say that the video game Industry are also apart of the problem, but they have Introduced things such as a timer, so you can now choose how long the child can play the game for, in some games they have also included the option to remove blood from the game.

I have nothing left to say, but I would like to thank you for your time, it has been fun.

I hope you have a good day and I can't wait to see your response.
DoulosChristos

Pro

Thank you for your cordial responses, I think I'll leave off here for now as well, I learned from this conversation as well, and I hope to see you again in another thread. :)
Posted by mynameisdebate 3 years ago
mynameisdebate
well i do not agree that video games cause violence but the contenders point is much more powerful
Posted by MasterMewtwo 3 years ago
MasterMewtwo
Trump accused games of causing gun violence? Eh, I don't care much for politics.