Aileen3310
pi3.14

Does Christianity make sense?

Aileen3310

Con

I and my family are Atheists, but I don't believe in Atheism. I know there is a God out there, and if someone can convince me Christianity makes sense... Then I may consider it in the future.

Note: I will not be trying to put Christianity down... I will ask questions. No offence to any Christians!
pi3.14

Pro

Hi, I'm a Christian (more specifically, I am Catholic). Just so you know, I'm only 14 and may not know all the answers to your questions, but I will try to answer them to the best of my ability. Anyway, I guess you can ask some questions now.
Aileen3310

Con

Okay. Let's start.

First of all, in the Bible, God says "for every man shall bear his own burden." If God says this, then how come he got his son to bear the burdens of human beings? Why didn't God take his own advice?

Secondly: We know that Jesus was born out of a women called Virgin Mary. We know that all humans, being descendants of Adam, were sinful at that time. But Jesus was pure and not sinful, so he had to die for humans. But the Bible states that "whoever is born out of a women" is sinful and not righteous. It also says: "Who can bring a clean out of an unclean? No one." So if Mary was sinful, then how could a pure, clean being come out of a sinful being?
pi3.14

Pro

I have not been asked these questions before, but anyway, here are my answers (though don't treat them as cannon).

Just as a reminder, when using quotes from the Bible, you should look at the context too. When it says that every man should bear his own burden, it means that you can't just say that someone else did more sins when they were alive than you did, so they shouldn't get to go to heaven, but you should get to go to heaven since you just did better than they did (sorry if this doesn't make sense, I can try to re-explain this next round if you want). Pretty much (if I'm right) you shouldn't compare yourself to others; you aren't trying to be better than them, but you should be trying to do your best in life to get to heaven.

Also, Jesus didn't 100% certify that every one of us can go to heaven. He just made it possible to go to heaven. We still have to do our part to get there.

Can you please state the full verse on "'whoever is born out of a women' is sinful"?

"Who can bring a clean out of an unclean? No one." First off, Mary was conceived without original sin, so she was clean (again, I can clarify this next round). She wasn't sinful after conception either.

If you don't think I adressed your questions well, I'm sorry, and please tell me to clarify my answers in the next round. Also, sorry for replying a bit late (and sorry if my next response also takes a while). Anyway, back to your questions.
Aileen3310

Con

Okay. Here is my augment:

If somebody should bear their own burden, it logically fits in perfectly with the statement: 'whoever commits a sin, they are responsible for it, so why did God bear their burdens for them?' I'm sorry, but your right, I did not understand what you said last at all. It hasn't really got anything to do with my question.. or maybe I don't understand.

You answered my second question well, thanks. I still have a small objection left about it, but I'll forget about it for now.

Here is another question I've been burning to ask:
Christians believe that God gave them the 10 commandments, (religious law) for them to follow in order to get to heaven. Jesus said in the Bible: "If you shall enter into life, keep the commandments."
But also in the Bible, St Paul labelled the religious law a curse.
This doesn't make sense to me.

"Give me any plague, but the plague of the heart: and any wickedness, like the wickedness of a woman."
I have been reading the Bible lately, and I have also noticed how anti-Women the Bible is. The previous verse is an example, as there are many more verses defining women's rights.
pi3.14

Pro

*Again, please note that this isn't canon and I could be wrong about some of the things I say.

I'll try to re-explain the part about bearing your own burden. Say you are driving down the highway that has a 60 mph (miles per hour) limit. If you go 70 miles an hour and a cop pulls you over, your excuse can't be that "I saw somebody else going 100 mph, so you should punish them/pull them over instead..." You still have to bear the "burden" of obeying the law of 60 miles an hour, even if others break it. If the highway was life and God was the cop, you can't tell God that you should get to go to heaven because God should punish the other person that was going 100 instead of punishing you. Sorry if that still doesn't make sense.

Jesus didn't bear our burden for us. He just opened up the way to get to heaven. Before Jesus, if you lived a good life and died, you couldn't go to heaven until after Jesus died. We still can't just do whatever we want in life (like kill, commit adultery, etc.) and then tell God that we should go to heaven because Jesus paid the price of our sins. God won't let you into heaven solely because Jesus died on the cross. Again, sorry if this doesn't make sense.

"But also in the Bible St. Paul labelled religious law a curse." Next time could you please include the passage? Anyway what Jesus says goes over what St. Paul says because Jesus is God. I don't really know how to answer your question because I can't find the context.

I can't find the meaning of the other quote you gave about the "wickedness of a woman," but I am pretty sure it was only saying that some women are wicked, not all (but again, I'm not sure). Anyway, I would argue the Bible isn't anti-women. Mary is venerated by many and is one of the best role models in the Bible and she is a woman. Jesus didn't shun women or anything like that.

(Sorry if I didn't answer everything, I had little time this weekend and have to go to bed now.) I hope I answered your questions!
Posted by Lex132 3 years ago
Lex132
I think it's great that you are wanting to learn more and are willing to do the work to find the answers for yourself. I think you are definitely on the right path by reading the Bible and asking questions about it in order to come up with your own conclusion and belief. I wanted to share with you a book that I found interesting and might be helpful called Mere Christianity. It is written by former atheist C.S. Lewis and goes through his thinking process of why he chose to believe that God exists and explains why he came up with Jesus as the answer to his God questions. He includes a basic understanding of Christianity and why it makes sense to him as a former atheist. But keep asking the questions and getting the answers for yourself like you're doing.
Posted by pi3.14 3 years ago
pi3.14
Again, COCOApanda, I admitted I could be wrong in what I said. Anyway, with your question about the Old Testament saints, they went to a place of comfort (that is the way it is described in the articles I read). They had to wait for Jesus to come and "unlock" heaven, if you will. It was a place of waiting.
Also, I didn't find the context, so I'm sorry if you think I answered poorly.
And my point in the last round was that we can't all expect to go to heaven and say that Jesus bore our sins for us. We still have to do our part to get to heaven.
Anyway, if you think you can answer the questions better, I'm all ears.
(Oh, and here is an article about where the Old Testament saints waited before Jesus came.)
https://reasonsforhopejesus.com...
Posted by Debating.starfish 3 years ago
Debating.starfish
Hmm...
Posted by COCOApanda 3 years ago
COCOApanda
'Jesus didn't bear our burden for us. He just opened up the way to get to heaven.'

What Pro said in the last round made no sense. Christians DO believe that God bore the burden of people. Why did he spend 3 days in hell? Everyone knows he 'had' to take on the burden everyone's sins in order for God to forgive them apparently, so they could get to heaven. That strange example did not fit into Christian's beliefs at all and was more like an engagement in philosophy than a reasonable answer. It does not answer Aileen3310's question about why God didn't take his own advice.

'Anyway what Jesus says goes over what St. Paul says because Jesus is God.'
Wait a minute, Pro is telling us that one part of the Bible is better than the another? That's strange.

I found some context:
"For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse." -Galatians 3:10
"Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us." -Galatians 3:13
So basically, Paul IS saying the law is a curse. Saying that Jesus's words are superior is not an excuse, as it doesn't change what Paul said.

'Before Jesus, if you lived a good life and died, you couldn't go to heaven until after Jesus died.'
So you're saying that Moses, Noah, Abraham and other pious prophets all went to hell? Shame on you pro. Watch what you say next time.
Posted by Kenx123 3 years ago
Kenx123
Hi Missmedic,

Yeah, you're right. You had sum up my statement very well.
Anyway, I hope you will agree that the totality of our actions are generally
based on what we believe. For example, if a sane christian believes that he should be spreading
the gospel of God and do humanitarian work then her entire life will be focusing on fullfilling this belief.
On the other hand, those extreme religious groups who believe that sinners should all die then these blind followers will end up doing stupid and disastrous things
just to satisfy their beliefs. This is also the same with atheist people. In my opinion, "nihilistic atheists" are mostly the dangerous ones because their indifferences can also make them very hostile to people not sharing their views in life as compared to "progressive atheists" who are eventhough godless, they are all doing their best to help humanity prosper and live in harmony with the religious people.
So I believe, Christianity makes sense because most of us also share this kind of thinking on which you cannot see that mostly on other religions. Is it right? Anyway, please enligthen us. Thanks.

Kind Regards,
Kenx
Posted by pi3.14 3 years ago
pi3.14
Sorry, I've been pretty busy the past week and have not been able to post my arguments in the mornings because of school starting so early. I wouldn't leave school until after 6:30 because I have a competition in something coming up that I need to prepare for. After I get home, I have to eat and do my homework which can take a while. Usually, after that, I have to go to bed. Anyway, I didn't have homework tonight and was able to post my argument. Sorry for not doing it earlier.
Posted by Aileen3310 3 years ago
Aileen3310
Come on, post your argument.
Posted by missmedic 3 years ago
missmedic
Kenx says creeds matter more then deeds
Posted by Kenx123 3 years ago
Kenx123
At least, I hope we agree that the creator of the universe is God or in Science, it is called the Primal Energy Source.
Even in the advancements of technology and human intellect that led to the discoveries of unexplainable phenomena like quantum mechanics, dark matter & dark energy, all of these still do not implicate the non-existence of God.
In fact, the deeper we understand these phenomena, the more we realize the limit of our logical reasoning thus it is certain we cannot deny His existence or non-existence either.

I will get straight to the point so why better believe in God and preferrably Christianity then?
For our definiton of God, it should be all powerful and all knowing and so His ways and Thinking is beyond the human understanding.
Well, it's humanity's free will to believe or not in an all powerful and a benevolent God.
The acceptable truth is not the knowledge on religions or any holy scriptures will save our souls from
depths of depravity. I think Christianity, in a general overview, makes sense as it is not
forcing you to believe in and worship Jesus, Jehovah, or Yahweh.
It's our personal relationship with God that will give us a kind and humble heart and a
wisdom to do good things and be resentful with our wrongdoings.

Maybe nonbelievers will say most religions do these kind of beliefs and practices as well.
Well, it's true but it is up to us now to stay sincere to what we believe in doing things for the betterment of humanity because we will not be judge by how much we know and pray about our religions/beliefs or nonbeliefs. Religion just like languages are also a part of the evolution of human intellect.
Religion is just a guide in driving our moral compass and unlike other religions, Christianity does make more sense because it teaches that salvation (or survival of humanity) can only attain through Grace and Mercy of God/Originator and not by the works of men for the mind of God is mysterious and way higher than the human
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
i'd really like to debate this with you just wondering if I can debate this with you in the future.