gzitman
EJR925

Does Free Will exist?

gzitman

Con

Free Will does not exist in our society, Agency is an illusion.
EJR925

Pro

I believe that we do in fact have free will. I want to clarify my position.

Man's free choices come from focusing his mind. Whether to focus it or not, How much to focus, Or what to focus on: Man can keep his mind in full focus. Drift away without focus. Avoid focusing and refuse to think. Our freedom is controlling what ideas and arguments to focus on, Which enables us to select what we think is true. We are free and in control of what facts and ideas the mind will focus on.
gzitman

Con

What makes you believe that Man has agency in the decision to focus, Or how much to focus? When the minds drifts away from focus this is an event that happens in the unconscious mind, Without the decision making process.
EJR925

Pro

Agent causation is what is causing choices to be made through the agent's choice - causal factor - causal factor - observed outcome. Agent causation is the idea that a self-aware entity can start a new causal chain that is not predetermined by events in the past and the physical laws of nature: We are affecting the outcome of our reality. This makes us act first causes which can create a chain of causally connected events. The future outcome of reality can't be determined until an observer decides what he or she wants: Observer - possible outcome - possible outcome - future outcome. The future of our reality does in fact depend on our choices, Not on prior determined events and not random events. On the choice of conscious agents.

What if I have different reasons to produce different outcomes?
--- Example: What if I had good reasons to eat pizza vs good reasons to reject pizza and eat a salad?
Which reasons cause the outcome? Maybe the stronger desire wins? But what or who decides which is the stronger desire? These are non-physical desires; One desire doesn't have more weight or more chemical power. These lie outside physical events. We can't say that we can study the physical structure. So the mind decides which desire is stronger; If the mind decides, Then that is exactly what free will is. Free will - the ability for the mind to choose between possible outcomes.

Free will and agent causation work together in a two-step process; Uncontrolled generation of alternative possible outcomes. The minds causes one of the outcomes to be actual.

The act of choosing would not be reducible to determined events; But by various reasons that one can choose from and rely on their conscious to decide the outcome. The choices of an agent are not determined by prior physical processes.
The mind has the ability to determine its own outcomes from a selection of possible outcomes.
gzitman

Con

Your argument actually makes a lot of sense, I see where you are coming from. I think I'll have to concede this one.
EJR925

Pro

Thank you for your willingness to engage in the debate. I really do appreciate it.
gzitman

Con

No problem, Anytime.
EJR925

Pro

My opponent conceded this debate. I have nothing to rebuttal.
Posted by Eris2005 3 years ago
Eris2005
Finally! A debate that is short enough to keep ones attention, And someone who actually agreed with the other! I'm so proud of both of you. You'll both receive my commends! Gg