Anonymous
DrAnomaly

Does God Exist?

Anonymous has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Con

I'm looking for someone to debate the notion as to whether God exists! Obviously this is a bit difficult for me to go first, as what, exactly, 'God' is has to be developed by the pro side. Additionally, as Bertrand Russell argued, the person making an affirmative claim is the one who bears the burden of proof. If I were say, to use Russell's famous analogy, that a teapot orbits the sun somewhere in space between Earth and Mars, would you honestly believe me? It's possible that there is an orbiting teapot, especially if it were too small to be seen by our most powerful telescope! It's tale, I'm sure, would be fantastic. But you would rightly demand to see the evidence.

https://rationalwiki.org......

Thus is the way with the theism/atheism debate. The default is atheism, since one could never prove the non-existence of something. After all, I need a pro side to begin so that I even know which flavor of 'theism' I am debating against!

Further, I would argue not only does the Pro side shoulder the burden of proof, but that proof is of a high nature. After all, if correct, a cosmic creator, especially a personal being that takes interest in our lives, would have a huge impact on our day to day lives. If we demonstrated that he existed we may feel compelled to worship him, going to services/temple/mass/etc and follow his rules of conduct, or moral code. Obviously this would only be the beginning of the theistic impact: epistemology and metaphysics would greatly be impacted, lest we forget about science, interpersonal relationships, culture, and even our own daily habits! Given this huge impact, it makes sense that the theist not only has the burden of proof, but also shoulders a high standard!

I look forward to seeing my opponents arguments and seeing how this argument develops!
DrAnomaly

Pro

Hey. I'm actually an atheist myself, but I will be taking on the position of a deist. I define God now as an impersonal entity with neutral/malevolent intentions, that has power and knowledge beyond what is conceivable. (However not omnipotent or omniscient) God also is the creator of the universe. This God does not effect the universe in any noticeable way, aside from it's creation of course.

I hope the definition works.

I'll start off with this argument:

P1. God is the greatest being of which can be imagined
P2. If God does not exist, then a greater being can be imagined; that being one that does.
C . Therefor, God exists.
Posted by missmedic 3 years ago
missmedic
So god, by Pro's definition, is a product of the imagination. Makes sense...... The only place we know a supernatural realm to exist is in the imagination of the human mind, the same place that creates gods.
Posted by rocinante 3 years ago
rocinante
You are using a nominative pronoun, i.e. "he," to describe an entity "a posteriori" that otherwise transcends knowable experience.

Furthermore, even if we were able to settle the argument once-and-for-all, do you want to be the person who leads the entire flock to the cliff's edge?
Posted by TheMorningsStar 3 years ago
TheMorningsStar
Wait, so let me get this straight, Pro gets to define god in this debate?