BaphometSgl
TheMorningsStar

Does Pray Have Any Effects?

TheMorningsStar

BaphometSgl

Con

Some peoples they pray to god for no reason!!!
why?
they don't win something !!!
I don't thing that god exist to hear them
and even if he exist , what about the divine plan?
Do you pray against the gods Divine plan?
If god have a reason and a Divine plan , why do you pray to change his divine plan ?
isn't this arrogant?
Whats the difference if you pray or not for something that have 50% chance to come true and 50% not?
TheMorningsStar

Pro

Thank you BaphometSgl for the debate.

Note, the resolution is if prayer has ANY effects. I think that this is something impossible to deny.
Studies have been done that show that religious people tend to be happier than the non-religious, and some studies further suggest that those that pray more regularly tend to be happier as well.

I would suggest that that not only is an effect of prayer but a positive one at that.

https://pure.york.ac.uk...(2f49d66c-349f-4b1c-8560-76be7b19b7ad).html

Furthermore, there are some reasons to suspect that praying for something, like getting healthier, may work on some level, whether it is a mere placebo effect or not doesn't matter as it is still an effect, and one that, again, I would say is a positive one.

https://www.sciencedaily.com...

There are other examples out there, but I think this alone makes it clear that prayer does have some effects. Maybe not much, maybe not the type many hope it does, but effects none the less.
BaphometSgl

Con

Thank you MorningStar for accepting my debate.

It maybe have some "effects" for the religious peoples, like you say they "Feel good"
But what i actually mean Effect is "if Praying for something it gonna change the facts"?,
"if i am atheist and you start pray to stop be an atheist ill still be atheist it doesn't affect my critical thinking"
I should use the word "Results" maybe instead of "effects" at my title , but i think you got my point

isn't arrogant to pray? many religious people believes to the divine plan
if god has a plan why do you pray to him to change his plan?
isn't that means that the religious person believes that his plan is better than gods plan?
if they are doing this why they are religious from the first place?
If god really exist (I don't think so) isn't gonna be mad with this people? asking and asking all the time?

I don' believe that pray change things
I think its a mater of Luck
TheMorningsStar

Pro

"It maybe have some "effects" for the religious peoples, like you say they "Feel good""

If this was your intent then it should have been outlined in your first round. As it is, this would be moving the goalpost for this debate.

"But what i actually mean Effect is "if Praying for something it gonna change the facts"?,"

Depends on what you mean by "change the facts".
As pointed out in my previous round (and has gone unchallenged) prayer has been shown to have positive physical effects on people.
Maybe this is just a placebo effect allowing the body to better function, maybe it is something supernatural, ultimately, however, this doesn't matter as it is a clear effect of prayer.

"isn't arrogant to pray? many religious people believes to the divine plan"

This presupposes that there is a divine plan, that everything that happens is in relation to said plan, and that all prayer is made for the purpose of changing the state of things. For example, on of the most common prayers is one of giving thanks for a meal, this isn't asking to change anything, and thus it cannot be "arrogant" in the way you claim it could be.

Furthermore, is every single person important in the ultimate plan or is there only one way the plan can be implemented (if there even is a plan)? If the plan can work whether or not Person A dies of cancer than praying that said person is cured of cancer also wouldn't be "arrogant" in the way you have said.

Lastly, this, as said, assumes there is only one way the plan can go instead of many ways it could go. Why would it be "arrogant" to ask (not demand, ask) if a god can change which way his/her plan is implemented if it seems that the state of things is unfavorable?
BaphometSgl

Con

OK i don't disagree with you that Pray have some placebo Effects

My point is Praying does not have any results in reality

And what i mean arrogant is for people Praying for Money (to be rich) or for wining at something

I wanna thank my opponent for being reasoning and have manners at this debate
TheMorningsStar

Pro

"OK i don't disagree with you that Pray have some placebo Effects"

I take this as a concession.

"My point is Praying does not have any results in reality"

How is a placebo effect not an effect in reality?

"And what i mean arrogant is for people Praying for Money (to be rich) or for wining at something"

You can't just assert something is arrogant, you have to demonstrate how it is arrogant. Besides, that is entirely irrelvant to the resolution of the debate.

Thank you BaphometSgl for the debate, vote Pro
Posted by SHARINGISCARINGg 3 years ago
SHARINGISCARINGg
@canis, praying to God is praying to God. He's there and He is listening. And if anything, it will strengthen your bond with God. So prayer does have effects. Also, there are many things that will happen if we pray for them, as it says in the Bible, so obviously it does have an effect. We just can't tell because we can't go back and see both alternatives. We don't have a time machine so we can see how the world would be different if someone didn't pray, but it would be different.
Posted by Leaning 3 years ago
Leaning
Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Would the prayer have any effect then? Or would in only be the person acting on that desire that made him stronger? I suppose some religious people see it the same way they might ask their family to be there as support. But still even that depends on the family choosing to be there. I've seen people pray in the movies include some part about "If it is in your will/plan". Hmm, is a prayer a plea or a verbal expression of hope? Rambling.
Posted by canis 3 years ago
canis
I am an atheist.. "Praying" does help... You just pray/asking your self ("the deeper questions)...Praying to "a god" is in fact just praying to your self, (alter-ego)...
Posted by BaphometSgl 3 years ago
BaphometSgl
MasterMewtwo, I believe that you Have experience, and ill be glad to debate you in one other debate in the future, Thanks for your Understanding!
Posted by MasterMewtwo 3 years ago
MasterMewtwo
Fair enough, I suppose. You're wanting someone more experienced. Though now I'm wondering who'll be the contender...
Posted by BaphometSgl 3 years ago
BaphometSgl
Oh, sorry MasterMewteo i wanna debate this with one adult i thing its unfair to debate it with people below 20 yo , i don't say people under 20 are not smart
Posted by MasterMewtwo 3 years ago
MasterMewtwo
It says I don't match the criteria, though. Could you change it so that it's a minimum age of 16?
Posted by BaphometSgl 3 years ago
BaphometSgl
you're welcome to debate me
Posted by MasterMewtwo 3 years ago
MasterMewtwo
I'd like to bring something up. Considering if someone truly believes they'll gain power from a god via praying, they may gain some power through a placebo at the least. Of course, I'll have to do research to see if that's true. But I'm definitely happy to accept this debate if you'll allow me.
Vote Placed by Leaning 3 years ago
Leaning
BaphometSglTheMorningsStarTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think that Pro made a better argument technically by going with the meaning of the word effect and reality. Con had the chance to define what they intended the debate to mean by effect in the first round, they did not so Pro is justified in using the title for definition. Pro showed that prayer did have an effect on people, thus reality, Con did not argue against this. I do think that a person can tell what Con meant about effect in their first argument, but ah well. I do think that it's a bit of a bad show not to move the goalpost, but people are awful complainy about votes I have found. Pro did use a source that was applicable to his argument on prayer. Side note I like Harry Dresden, though I stopped reading at Ghost Story, had life to go about, also didn't like that book.