NKJVPrewrather
Apophis66

Does personhood begin at implantation?

Apophis66 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

NKJVPrewrather

Pro

I believe that personhood begins at implantation, and I will prove it. I want my opponent to go first, so I can know if he or she thinks personhood beginat this point or another. Only accept if you disagree with me.
Apophis66

Con

I believe that personhood develops gradually during fetal development. At implantation the fetus is a single cell without a brain, consciousness, intelligence, emotion, sense of pain, heart, limbs, head, or anything else that makes one human.
NKJVPrewrather

Pro

Let me pose a riddle to you: A zygote is created in 1980, and implants in a woman in the year 2000. Are prolifers telling me that a 20 year old person will behave like a child once he is born? There must be something about implantation that decides personhood. We know from science that pregnancy begins at implantation when human chorionic gonadatropin is realeased. To adress your claim that life begins in the fetal stage, may I ask what part, and why?
Apophis66

Con

That Zygote in 2001 is 0 years old because we count age starting at inception. The zygote may have existed for 20 years but being around a long time doesn't make one a person, you have to go through a process of fetal development to become one gradually. Life does start at implantation but cells and roaches are life too and that doesn't make them people. In order to be a human person you need at least most of the characteristics of human people like human body parts, a human brain, human consciousness, etc.
NKJVPrewrather

Pro

If the fertilized egg is in the cryogenic freezer for 20, prolifers think it is a 20 year old person by the time it implants to the mother. That honestly does sound ridiculous to me. Let's say the egg is implanted afgter 20 years, and is born 9 months later. By prolife standards, the baby is a 20 year old adult. Jury duty? I think not. That newborn baby acts the same whether he implantated 7 days or years after the zygotic stage. For me, and I don't want to force this on anyone, there has to be something about implantation that begins personhood. I want to also adress the fetal stage claim a bit. For me, that is just a stage of development. Once the egg implants and becomes a person, he does through carnegie stages of development and after 7 weeks of the embyonic stage, the baby becomes a fetus and the beginnings of everything starts to develop. This might be when the fetus baby has the first level of brainwaves, but I am not sure 100 percent. JMO>
Posted by TheMorningsStar 3 years ago
TheMorningsStar
What about the "Zygote" paradox?

I guess that it technically is about a soul, not personhood, but take a zygote and split it, have one absorb the other, do it over and over again.

If it is at such a stage that it has a soul, then what happens with the soul?

If it has a soul and then it is split (where it would end up as identical twins), then shouldn't a second soul form for the twin? Then when it is absorbed again, what happens to the soul? And if you keep doing this, then what?

Now, I am unsure of how this would relate to the concept of personhood, but I am sure that it can make a similar point.
Posted by Zarium 3 years ago
Zarium
Can you expand on 'personhood'?

Is this the notion that was previously expressed as "sentience"?
or having a soul/existing, etc.?

And what does implantation describe?