YeshuaBought
BOMJEG

Does rape culture exist?

BOMJEG

YeshuaBought

Pro

I was raped. I was treated like a criminal. This is rape culture.
BOMJEG

Con

It might help your argument if you provide context and details on how you were "treated like a criminal."

Even if you were treated like a criminal, is it your first conclusion that it is like that everywhere? That is the same logic that racists use, "That black person stole my bike, that must mean all black people want to steal my bike."
YeshuaBought

Pro

Sorry. Rape culture is a collection of attitudes that coddle rapists, and punishes victims. One example of rape culture is when a rape victim's right to choose adoption without her rapist's consent. Another is denying the Plan B pill to a rape victim.
BOMJEG

Con

Actually the definition of a rape culture (according to Wikipedia) "includes victim blaming, slut-shaming, sexual objectification, trivializing rape, denial of widespread rape, refusing to acknowledge the harm caused by some forms of sexual violence, or some combination of these."

Statistics surrounding "rape culture" are infamous for being false and unreliable because of their broad definition of what defines rape. Say I was looking at a woman because I found her attractive, that would not be rape. Rape is defined as sexual intercourse against the will of the victim.

Now claiming that rape culture exists would mean that we teach men and young boys to rape women, but less than 6% of men are rapists. Explain that.

Oh yeah, and you forgot to support your argument.
YeshuaBought

Pro

As a woman, I know what rape culture is. You are a man, so you have no clue about rape culture, You will never know what it's like to be a woman. I remain unimpressed with your mansplainining.
BOMJEG

Con

As an educated person, I can see that you are being sexist. And no, those were not my words, they were paraphrased from an essay that a woman wrote. You cannot go onto a serious debate site and dismiss my arguments because you can't come up with any sound logic to rival my own. Now I ask you to please return to the topic at hand as you have not given any evidence for your side of the argument.

This is what all progressives do, they claim to be pro-equality but then turn around and be sexist and racist towards white males who have done nothing wrong. You hate racists and sexists so much that you fail to see that you have become exactly that, a racist and a sexist, just toward a different demographic.
YeshuaBought

Pro

It is not sexist to point out your male privilege. Rape culture affects women more than men, because women are treated as less worthy than men. It was definately rape culture for rape viuctims to be blamed. I was RAPED, and victims blamed. If that is not rape culture, what the **** is?
BOMJEG

Con

I find it funny how you boldly assert that I have privilege without backing it up. Give me an example of how women are treated as less worthy than men. I can name several rights women have but men don't.

1. Women are always given custody of children unless the father can prove she is unfit to care for them.
2. It's easier for women to get along in the economy which is why they make up only 24% of the homeless population.
3. Women get more lenient sentences for equivalent crimes.
4. A woman can get a man fired from his job by just accusing him of sexual harassment, even without proof.
5. In California a woman can accuse a man of being the father of a child and it's up to him to prove that he's not.
6. A woman can sue a sperm donor for child support.
7. A woman who gets pregnant by raping a man (yes, it does happen) can sue for child support.
8. A woman can get an abortion in complete disregard for the wishes of the father.
9. Pretty much, a woman can opt out of parenthood but a man cannot.
See this video for more info at the time mark given: https://youtu.be...

Now who's privileged? I though so.

Now back to rape culture. The DOJ surveyed college students from 1995-2002 and found that there were 6 rapes per thousand people a year. That's about 1 in 40 students that are raped a year, which is significantly less than the "1 in 5" statistic that most people use (and the 1 in 40 statistic is also a sharp decline in rapes since 1995).
https://www.bjs.gov...

I'm sorry to hear that you were raped, but the only reason you would be blamed is if you made false accusations. If so, then yes, you will and should be treated as a criminal. Oh, and as I said earlier, give context on how you were treated as a criminal, it might help your argument.

And please stop repeating the same words about rape culture over and over again. Give actual evidence from a credible source, not "Cosmopolitan" or any tabloid like that.
YeshuaBought

Pro

You were never raped, so stay out of it.
BOMJEG

Con

Excuse me? You were the one that posted this debate, you wanted to debate with someone. You can't just tell me to stay out of it after inviting me in. As always, you just dismiss facts when you can't think of anything to say.

I probably shouldn't say this but, I read your court records and you were not treated like a criminal because you accused that man, you were treated like a criminal because you harassed those people that were trying to help you.

I see that I have won this debate as you have not given any evidence to support your case. You just sat and pouted like a 5 year-old. I would like to say that this was fun, but it wasn't. It was just a one sided verbal annihilation.

Have a good day.
Posted by Masterful 3 years ago
Masterful
More men get raped than women. FACT.
Posted by Leaning 3 years ago
Leaning
@KostasT.1526
Hmm.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
@Leaning
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Probably second account.
Posted by Leaning 3 years ago
Leaning
The picture is the same as another profile. I haven't been paying close attention though. Is someone trying to mock someone else or is it a new account?
Posted by Minddagger 3 years ago
Minddagger
This is the same girl that tried to defend dating someone just for their race so we should not be surprised with that ending statement of hers
Posted by cole.bonds 3 years ago
cole.bonds
Whoopsie, I commented that four times. At least maybe you can actually grasp the concept of how terrible of a debater you are if you read it four times.
Posted by cole.bonds 3 years ago
cole.bonds
@YeshuaBought How are you just gonna create a debate and tell your opponent to stay out of it because he hasn't had the same experiences you have? That makes absolutely no sense! You obviously could not create an actual argument to back up your poorly conducted points. You did the exact same thing in our debate about the death penalty to torturers a couple months ago. I guess at this point we can conclude that you are a horrible debater in general. :/
Posted by cole.bonds 3 years ago
cole.bonds
Posted by cole.bonds 3 years ago
cole.bonds
Posted by cole.bonds 3 years ago
cole.bonds
Vote Placed by Leaning 3 years ago
Leaning
YeshuaBoughtBOMJEGTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not really bring any evidence to support their position, they also did not seem to really bother to debate, just assert their opinion. Con noted that rapists are in the minority and that people see rape or the endorsement as negative in culture overall.