GDog_0
John_Eaton

Does school cause too much stress?

GDog_0 has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

GDog_0

Pro

Schools are constantly giving students homework and tests. The amount of these tests and assignments is insane. Students are not only expected to do those pointless assignments. They are also expected to get most of them right. In fact, 30% of teens are depressed or sad because of the stress of school. [1] High school students have an average 3 hours of homework a day, however, studies show that excessive homework had little to no educational value [2].
1-https://www.nbcnews.com...
2-https://www.newsday.com...
John_Eaton

Con

The reason why we have school is because the education system teachers our children about life and give them the skills needed for life. This is why we are giving "insane" amounts of homework and assignments as you put it. In fact, this is less than what our parents had, people used to have 3 hours homework at least each day and look where majority of our parents are now! Owning houses, businesses or even just being successful in life with their dreams so clearly it works out for them so it will work out for us too.
GDog_0

Pro

Remember that the question was whether school does cause too much stress, not if it is more stressful than before. These days the stress of school is beyond ridiculous. Remember that not everyone was successful. There are over 375,000 homeless adults in the USA alone [1]. Saying that adults are more successful is not a valid argument. It just means that they have more experience than all the others. And for the kids in school today, well, they haven't had the time to succeed yet. And not everything works the same. That's like saying that in the 2040s there will be another holocaust just because 100 years ago it happened. The world is not a cycle, and assuming that everything works the same is very incorrect.
1- https://www.reuters.com...
John_Eaton

Con

Let me clarify my arguments and why they are true if I may? My first point was that school has actually become less stressful like you claim however what you failed to mention is that this helps our kids get the skills they need for life, work is also a LOT more stressful than school. Just wait for the real world. The 375,000 homeless adults in the USA is mainly due to the link between homelessness and poor academic achievement in schools and I'm going to quote the abstract from one study from American Behavioral Scientist John C.Buckner published on 1st February 2008. 'Researchers have repeatedly documented that poverty is associated with higher rates of problems among both homeless and low-income housed groups of children in comparison to children in the broader population.'

http://journals.sagepub.com...

So you saying 'adults are more successful is not a valid argument' is in fact an extremely valid argument. Do you know why? Because it is true. So, if children get good grades and go to college and get those degrees, the rates of homelessness will drop significantally, what also did not help was the 2008 financial crash. Your argument that 'The world is not a cycle and assuming everything works the same is very inaccurate' yes, that is very true. Just quote Albert Einstein however I can't see how this would be any different even 50 years from now (we're talking about education here) as the system hasn't had any major changes (and probably never will unless technology improves dramatically). Also, I strongly advise you talk about the topic at hand and not bring up the Holocaust.

Now to dismiss your Reuters source, your OWN SOURCE has also stated that quote “I am glad it’s trending downward, but a 2 percent change (nationally) is pretty much flat,” said Nan Roman, president of the National Alliance to End Homelessness, in Washington.
GDog_0

Pro

I can tell you right now school doesn't teach most skills for life. The only skills most kids get is work ethic and respect, and that is not TAUGHT, it is EXPECTED that you will learn it. The rest has to come from parents, internet, etc. and sadly schools waste valuable time they could be teaching important things instead of teaching us how to solve for x or square rooting. In the sense of stress, to be "successful" you need to get all a's and b's, waste tens of thousands of dollars, and get lucky enough to get hired. I'd say that is an extreme amount of stress, just to get an average job these days. Back then, a high school diploma would get you somewhere. Nowadays a high school diploma is as significant as your first writing in a job application. And I brought that topic up as an example. Still, remember that the topic was if school caused too much stress, not if it was worth it.
John_Eaton

Con

Right let me crush this debate with one sentence. What about the workplace? You still haven't explained this.
Posted by John_Eaton 3 years ago
John_Eaton
I win!
Posted by wamanlover 3 years ago
wamanlover
yes