yv01
gabster3gf

Domestic Violence Awareness should be increased.

yv01

yv01

Pro

Domestic abuse awareness should be increased. Many People are aware of the seriousness of Domestic Violence, yet some still do not think it is a big deal. Men and women suffer through this traumatic experience alone because they feel as if they must go through it alone. Gloria who is an AP interview stated, "More women have been killed by partners since 9/11 than deaths from attacks, ensuing wars." This is an important issue because most people think that domestic violence only happens to women, but it can happen anyone literally anyone can be a Domestic violence victim. There are many people who are still living in silence because they are afraid or feel they do not have the proper support system. The fact that more women have died due to abuse by their partners than deaths related to wars, is just ridiculous. This should be eye-opening and want us to spread awareness. People don't always feel comfortable simply talking about it with someone. Julie who was a Domestic Violence victim said, "I wanted someone to ask me about the abuse. I couldn't ask for help. I was ashamed." Rather than having support and able to speak up, some victims prefer someone to ask them about it because they're afraid and ashamed to simply come out about it. This continues to make the victims feel at fault for what is happening to them, which means they will continue to remain in silence.
gabster3gf

Con

Domestic abuse awareness should not increase because abuse will still continue to occur. According to The Center for Family Justice, "Domestic abuse is a pattern of coercive, controlling behavior that is a pervasive life-threatening crime affecting people in all our communities, regardless of age, gender, economic status, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or education" (1). We can all agree that domestic abuse is immoral and wrong, but by informing people that abuse is happening everywhere, it is not going to stop it from continuing. The action of bringing awareness can backfire in the sense that the perpetrator can become enraged if he or she hears about it and abuse his victim more. Any talk of domestic abuse around an abuser can tick them off and endanger the victim further. As reported by the domestic abuse shelter website, "On average, a woman will leave an abusive relationship seven times before she leaves for good" (2). Awareness can push women to leave their harmful relationships, but it is not always effective because they can easily be persuaded to go back for multiple reasons and before they can leave for good, a tragedy can occur. "Approximately 75% of women who are killed by their batterers are murdered when they attempt to leave or after they have left an abusive relationship" (2). Awareness gives the victim the courage to leave but in many cases, the victim has been isolated and has no resources like family to escape their abuser. These statistics are devastating and heart-wrenching, but what we can see is that bringing awareness to domestic abuse does not always accomplish its goal, rather it has the opposite effect.

(1) https://centerforfamilyjustice.org......
(2) http://www.domesticabuseshelter.org......
yv01

Pro

Spreading awareness of Domestic violence might even help solve other important issues as well. As the article Raising Awareness for Domestic Abuse stated, "It is estimated that 25-50% of perpetrators are under the influence of alcohol. Drug and alcohol use are known to impair judgment, reduce inhibition, and increase aggression." With raising awareness for domestic violence, it will help spread awareness for alcohol and drug addicts. Due to lack of drug and alcohol use, it will help lower the occurrence of domestic abuse. People won't go into a relationship so trusting because they claim they are in love or that their partner is not capable of ever hurting them. This is what a woman stated her experience to be, "My husband would throw me out at night when he was drunk. I slept in a cupboard behind the local freezer shop. My husband broke my ribs, tore my hair out, perforated my eardrum and head-butted me." There's no way of knowing if your partner is truly who they say they are or what they are willing to do and how far they"ll take it. Some people are blinded by the sweet talks and getting treated like royalty early in the relationships that keep them from noticing that those are possible signs of an abuser. The idea of "crazy love" can easily lead someone to become or continue being a victim.
gabster3gf

Con

As I mentioned in my previous claim, raising awareness can make the perpetrator feel targeted and cause an increase in abuse. Rather than raise awareness for drugs and alcohol, it would encourage the perpetrator to take out his anger because of the people who judge him/her. Humans can be deceitful, cynical, and untrustworthy. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "Every minute, about 20 people are physically abused by an intimate partner in the U.S.," (1). The sad truth is that when victims decide to stand up for themselves and ask for help, they cannot all be helped. Currently, there are not enough funds to help everyone and increasing awareness will not benefit victims because they will be risking their lives to receive help but not be able to receive it on time. The National Network to End Domestic Violence reported that "more than 22,000 calls were answered by local domestic violence hotlines, and on that same day, more than 9,500 requests for services were unmet due to inadequate funding or staff available to assist these survivors" (2). In my claim, I am referring only to the present. In the future, when funds are increased, raising awareness would be beneficial, but as of now, there are not sufficient services to aid all the victims. Like my opponent said, some people are blinded by the love they feel for their partner despite the horrible treatment, so if the day comes when they are ready to leave, but they cannot receive help, they will end up going back to the same situation as before and giving up on ever leaving their perpetrator.

(1) https://www.bjs.gov...
(2) https://www.forbes.com...
yv01

Pro

My opponent stated that Raising domestic violence awareness will not completely stop it from happening but only make it worse. This may be true but it can decrease the chances of it occurring so frequently. John Cohn who shows a huge interest in domestic violence awareness stated in September that " some abusers really will respond"either because they have so much to lose by risking jail time, or because they feel enough regret to be open to what counselors will tell them." The abuser may begin to realize that there can be serious consequences to their actions or simply that, that is not the way to solve problems. Many begin to feel as though jail is not for them and will begin to regret being an abuser and will not do it again. My opponent also stated that not all domestic violence victims can be helped, however raising awareness will not just physically help victims but it may also let them see that they are not alone. For example, as stated in my first claim that someone people prefer to be asked because they feel as if it is their fault and begin to feel ashamed or embarrassed. As stated in the article "why domestic violence victims don't leave" posted on may 31, 2016 "It is the biggest fear of a woman who is being abused that people won"t believe her." Women feel as though they do not have the proper support system to fully admit that they are being abused. By raising awareness it will help prevent domestic violence from happening as often as it does.
gabster3gf

Con

To conclude, I believe domestic violence is horrible and needs to be stopped. Raising awareness, on one hand, can cause the limited funding and sources to run out and leave victims alone when most in need. My opponent stated raising awareness can decrease the chances of it occurring frequently, but what is not taken into account is the long-lasting effects of domestic abuse that cannot be erased by talking about it. according to the organization safe horizon, "more than 3 million children have witnessed it in their homes every year" (1). Domestic abuse affects not only the victim directly affected, but it also affects those who surround them like children. These scarring events can never be completely forgotten. Also, my opponent said abusers may realize the consequences of their actions, but in many cases, as stated by the National Center on Elder Abuse, "Abusers use...threats, emotional insults and economic deprivation as a way to dominate their victims and get their way" (2). Psychological abuse is part of the domestic abuse, but because there are no physical and visible scars, abusers can get away with it. They do not have to worry about going to jail, hence promoting psychological abuse as the main method of control. Lastly, my opponent said domestic abuse awareness provides, in other words, moral support. This is not enough for victims trying to escape. Perpetrators are most of the time smart about their abuse and know how to keep it behind locked doors, "An abusive husband may control his victim in part by making sure she is completely dependent on him financially...ending a marriage to an abusive, controlling spouse can seem practically impossible" (3). In many situations, the victim is seemingly lost and has nothing to help them escape. A support system is not sufficient. Domestic violence awareness should thus not be increased because there are more negative repercussions than positive ones.

(1) https://www.safehorizon.org...
(2) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
(3) https://www.forbes.com...
Vote Placed by Leaning 3 years ago
Leaning
yv01gabster3gfTied
Reasons for voting decision: ... That (seems to me) a reallllly bad argument Con. Saying that raising awareness of domestic awareness would cause more harm, thus we shouldn't do it. That only makes it more socially acceptable if people don't know of it as a problem or where they can get help. It's enabling domestic abuse situations. Pro does note at the end that raising awareness could prevent domestic awareness from occurring as often. Pro also gives more reasons for spreading awareness such as moral support and help with other issues in life.