neonoctopus
DumplingDebate

Dress code

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

neonoctopus

Pro

Round 1 What is acceptable and not acceptable
Round 2 what you think can be changed and why

Yes, I think we need a dress code as long as it is not too extreme. Schools don't need kids/teens walking around half naked! I think the dress code rules should be

Limits on "gang-related" clothing, Sometimes described as over-sized clothing and other clothing meant to show affiliation with a certain gang or group, Such as certain colors, Logos, Brand names, Or arrangement
A ban on suggestively-themed T-shirts
Limits on skirt, Shirt, And pant length
A ban on clothing that depicts lewd, Sexually explicit, Or drug use
"Baggy pants" restriction prohibiting students from wearing clothing that exposes underwear or body parts in a way that is indecent or vulgar

What I think should be allowed is
Muslims can wear a headscarf
Can wear cross necklaces
Can wear traditional dress (such as a feather or tribal cloth) to graduation
Boys don't have to cut their hair to comply with a campus dress code
DumplingDebate

Con

Challenge Accepted :)

No, I do not believe that there should be dress codes in schools.

First, You said that it puts limits on "gang clothing". There may be "gang clothing" that matches to the dress code.
Second, Your whole argument is about that dress codes ban explicit clothing. We don't need dress codes to ban them. It is highly unlikely that a student's parents will allow to wear those kinds of clothing to school.
Third, Dress codes disturb students' freedom of wearing clothes and is very strict. There have been countless times dress codes caused outrageous stories like suspension.

That is all I will say for Round 1. Thank You

(My first debate in debate. Org! )
neonoctopus

Pro

I agree that suspension is definitely not a reasonable consequence for not wearing the correct clothes. Maybe a warning the first few times then lunch detention for everytime that it happens after that.

1) A dress code promotes a more serious school atmosphere which emphasizes academics and promotes good behavior.
2) Dress codes have proven to increase student achievement by encouraging students to concentrate more on their studies and less on their wardrobe. A de-emphasis on clothing can also save money, As there will be less pressure to keep up with expensive trends and fashions.
3) Dress codes in school settings reduce social conflict and peer pressure that may be associated with appearance.
4) Studies indicate that a school dress code can reduce the prevalence of certain behaviors which are often expressed through wardrobes such as violence or promiscuity.
5) As opposed to uniforms, Dress codes still allow students to wear what they want which leaves students with a sense of choice and expression.
and if you haven't seen some students parents don't care what their kids wear to school.
Thank you
DumplingDebate

Con

My oppositions:

1) I cannot understand how dress codes can make a more serious school atmosphere.
2) Yes, Dress codes can make students less focused on their wardrobe but they can still be distracted by other objects like fancy pencil cases or friends. Also, You do not necessarily have to keep up with clothing trends in school. There are many other trends like games and toys.
3) Yes, Dress codes will reduce social conflict but it will not stop all conflicts like racism.
4) Even if there were no dress codes, Kids with violent clothing will be turned away.
5) Yes, I agree that dress codes are less strict than uniforms but dress codes do not let kids wear EVERYTHING they want to wear. For example, Let's say you're a girl and you want to wear pants but the dress code says that girls can only wear dresses. That's not exactly freedom.
6) Imagine you have at least two people to live with and they don't care if you wear bad clothing. Impossible

Thank you and good game
Posted by DumplingDebate 3 years ago
DumplingDebate
plz vote
Posted by neonoctopus 3 years ago
neonoctopus
Thx
Posted by DumplingDebate 3 years ago
DumplingDebate
nice profile picture neonoctopus