backwardseden
arnavp

Eight reasons why christianity is false

backwardseden has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

backwardseden

Pro

Taken from. . . Atheist Alliance International:
There is very little that we can prove in this world. We can look for evidence to support claims people make and when there is robust supporting evidence, And no contrary evidence, We can conclude a claim is probably, But not definitely, True.

However, It is easier to prove something is false"all you need is one piece of contradictory evidence. So, What about Christianity? Is there evidence that contradicts, Or casts grave doubt on Christianity? I think there is rather a lot.

To keep this article brief, I will describe the falsifying evidence without giving all the sources and details but, Actually, Most of it is so well-known, That even Christians should be aware that this evidence exists.

1. There is clear evidence that prayer does not work despite the Bible promising prayers will be answered.

2. There is clear evidence that humans invent gods. Humans have invented so many gods that the default assumption should be that a god is a supernatural entity invented by humans. Christianity would need solid evidence that the Jewish god is an exception to this rule but there is no such evidence.

3. There is clear evidence that religions and gods are propagated through culture by infecting children, And no evidence that they are propagated by gods.

4. There is clear evidence that Christianity has evolved as human understanding of the world has changed whilst a real, God-given religion, Should never need to change.

5. There is clear evidence that humans on this planet have unequal access to Christianity so, If Christianity were true, Billions would be condemned to hell for no fault of their own. This contradicts the Christian notion that God is omnibenevolent.

6. There is clear evidence that the Bible, Supposedly inspired by God, Is liberally sprinkled with the type of errors we would expect from its Iron Age authors but would not expect from the creator of the universe.

7. Christian theology is incoherent to the point of absurdity. God killing his son so he can forgive our future sin is like me breaking my son"s legs so I can forgive my neighbor in case she ever parks her car on my drive. It is quite ridiculous.

8. There is clear evidence that the arguments presented for the existence of the Jewish God are logically flawed"all of them have been shown to be unreliable. If this were not the case, All honest and intelligent people would accept that God exists, Just as all honest and intelligent people accept that black holes exist.

All that is left for Christians is faith and their feelings. We know that faith and feelings can be used to believe in any god at all including non-existent gods. So faith and feelings cannot help us determine if Christianity is true.

But that is all Christians have.

Rules:
Prove christianity to be true.
dsjpk5 is disqualified from the voting procedures as he tries to pretend he's god and thus change the voting structure of who wins and loses here on DDO.
arnavp

Con

Shut up heRetIc
Posted by jkrod1 3 years ago
jkrod1
Here are the rest of Aquinas's proofs.
The Third Way: Argument from Possibility and Necessity (Reductio argument)

We find in nature things that are possible to be and not to be, That come into being and go out of being i. E. , Contingent beings.

Assume that every being is a contingent being.

For each contingent being, There is a time it does not exist.

Therefore it is impossible for these always to exist.

Therefore there could have been a time when no things existed.

Therefore at that time there would have been nothing to bring the currently existing contingent beings into existence.

Therefore, Nothing would be in existence now.

We have reached an absurd result from assuming that every being is a contingent being.

Therefore not every being is a contingent being.

Therefore some being exists of its own necessity, And does not receive its existence from another being, But rather causes them. This all men speak of as God.

The Fourth Way: Argument from Gradation of Being

There is a gradation to be found in things: some are better or worse than others.

Predications of degree require reference to the "uttermost" case (e. G. , A thing is said to be hotter according as it more nearly resembles that which is hottest).

The maximum in any genus is the cause of all in that genus.

Therefore there must also be something which is to all beings the cause of their being, Goodness, And every other perfection; and this we call God.

The Fifth Way: Argument from Design

We see that natural bodies work toward some goal, And do not do so by chance.

Most natural things lack knowledge.

But as an arrow reaches its target because it is directed by an archer, What lacks intelligence achieves goals by being directed by something intelligence.

Therefore some intelligent being exists by whom all natural things are directed to their end; and this being we call God.
I hope you too, As an open minded person, Will read these articles, And actu
Posted by jkrod1 3 years ago
jkrod1
My Good Sir,
Since I am only 17 years old, I myself do not have the proofs that I need to justify what I believe, Simply because you do not need any more proof than we already have. The following proofs are used by Thomas Aquinas.
The First Way: Argument from Motion

Our senses prove that some things are in motion.

Things move when potential motion becomes actual motion.

Only an actual motion can convert a potential motion into an actual motion.

Nothing can be at once in both actuality and potentiality in the same respect (i. E. , If both actual and potential, It is actual in one respect and potential in another).

Therefore nothing can move itself.

Therefore each thing in motion is moved by something else.

The sequence of motion cannot extend ad infinitum.

Therefore it is necessary to arrive at a first mover, Put in motion by no other; and this everyone understands to be God.

The Second Way: Argument from Efficient Causes

We perceive a series of efficient causes of things in the world.

Nothing exists prior to itself.

Therefore nothing [in the world of things we perceive] is the efficient cause of itself.

If a previous efficient cause does not exist, Neither does the thing that results (the effect).

Therefore if the first thing in a series does not exist, Nothing in the series exists.

If the series of efficient causes extends ad infinitum into the past, For then there would be no things existing now.

That is plainly false (i. E. , There are things existing now that came about through efficient causes).

Therefore efficient causes do not extend ad infinitum into the past.

Therefore it is necessary to admit a first efficient cause, To which everyone gives the name of God.

I am an open minded, So if you can debunk these arguments, And the ones given in, The Case For Christ, By Lee Strobel, I will be forced to rethink my decision. The rest of the next arguments listed in the next article are posted.
Posted by WrickItRalph 3 years ago
WrickItRalph
@jkrod. That was the quintessential Christian argument.

There's a principle that philosophers adhere to that one cannot make physical claims about things that don't have confirmed physical existence. One can only make metaphysical claims. So you cannot really hold a justified belief about god. You can only say it's metaphysically possible, Which is as effectual as saying unicorns or bigfoots are possible.

Your circle experiment fails because it necessarily includes about something we don't now. Therefore you can never know the size of the circle. Therefore, You can never know how big the shade is suppose to be. Therefore, You can never draw the shade. Therefore you can't say the dot is tiny. It is equally probable that the circle is filled and we can't know either way.

God has already been disproven metaphysically by philosophers in the past. Theists just don't accept the proofs. Have you ever wondered why you see apologists committing so many logical fallacies? It's because if they used sound logic, They would arrive at the wrong (for them) conclusion.
Posted by jkrod1 3 years ago
jkrod1
Well, I see your arguments, And I must say that some of them are rather, Well, Fallible, At the least. First off, I have a question that can take you from saying that there is no god, To actually having to admit that there is a possibility for a god, A true and living god, The one true God. Lets say that we have a circle with a radius of about 5 inches. Inside that circle represents everything that there is to know about the entire universe, And everything that is to possibly be known. Now, I want you to take a pen, After you have drawn the circle, And shade in about how much of that we know and have explored. If you are using a sound mind, You will probably place a small dot with your pen, Since compared to the vastness of the universe, We know very little. You then must realize that us, Knowing so little, Well, There is a possibility for a true god out there somewhere. If you do not believe in Jesus Christ, Read the book, Or watch the movie, The Case For Christ, Which was written by a former atheist who set out to prove Christianity wrong.
I would also like to say, If there is no god, Then what are you fighting for. GOD'S NOT DEAD!