TotoTheToro
flaming.liberal

Everything is Math: We are surrounded by numbers!

flaming.liberal has forfeited round #2.

TotoTheToro

Pro

I think that everything around us can be calculated using mathematical formulas; from its mass, to its movement, to how long it has existed ("it" being an arbitrary object).
Everything can be calculated using mathematical formulas, not only physical objects, but ideas, thought processes, language, dance, life, death, randomness... everything.
flaming.liberal

Con

Hello,
I would like to make a specific fiat to this motion. By saying, "Everything is Math," to a certain extent, you are correct. Yes, you can calculate a certain mass, speed, etc, with math. But my main question, is: why would you need to? Yes, mental math, addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication, fractions and more are usable, but many of them have no real life application.

For example, the "pythagorean theorem," is taught for several years in school. In fact, I just graduated middle school, and was learning this math concept for a few weeks. I asked my teacher, "when will this be useful in real life." She looked me straight in the face and said, "there is no real life application." If my own math teacher, who's job it is to teach me math, admits that there in no real life application, then I am wondering why we must learn it in the first place. So, what I am trying to say is, yes: math can be used to find the volume of a cylinder, or the perimeter of a fence. However, this doesn't come in real life, and thus, math technically not around us, and when it is, it is a very rare occurrence.
I'd love to hear your response. Thanks.
TotoTheToro

Pro

Thank you for taking on this challenge, and I am grateful for your response!

First, I am sorry that your teacher said that to you; she lied. I personally despise professors that say that, simply because there are areas of science where you can easily apply the knowledge; that being the Pythagorean Theorem, Wilson's Theorem, or any other mathematical concept/principle/theorem (pick your term ;)) Sometimes (in order to do that) you have to think outside the box, and that is Ok; it is encouraged.

Second, you have to understand that sometimes the knowledge you are taught in school is not "meant" to be easily applicable in the real world, but instead, they help you develop basic problem solving skills and evolve your critical thinking. I don't think I need to provide a link/proof to demonstrate that, it is a well known fact (and common sense [pardon my vulgarity]) that early math helps you develop crucial skills. Algebra for example, it is not by ITSELF something any scientist, especially a mathematician, would use on the construction of a rocket; as it provides absolutely nothing, it is a tool, as most things in math. You are being taught a set of tools to solve problems, it is up to you to apply the things you are taught in creative or efficient ways. For more information on the abstraction and application of Mathematics take look at Number Theory and Lambda Calculus two relevant fields in Computer Science and many other sciences.
https://www.math.brown.edu...
https://en.wikipedia.org...

Third (and last), tackling the topic discussed (which is more philosophical than strictly mathematical) "why would you need to?" Why would you need to do anything? The goal of science on a long enough timeline is to understand how the universe works on every level, if there's a question, there's a scientist thinking about the answer to that question, wouldn't you agree? Imagine traveling back in time to 1518 and explaining how you had these things called laptops, that you could use to write things on a small glowing window, and communicate with people across the world in mere seconds; or how you could travel from New York to London in 7 hours in giant metal birds called airplanes; keep in mind that electricity had not even been invented back then, even the toilet would have been a crazy invention back in 1518. Though the idea of expressing everything as a mathematical formula or a mere number might seem a bit stretched, think about the people in 1516; we might be nuclear bomb wielding idiots to humans living in the year 2518. Why restrain ourselves to what we know? Why limit our imagination to what it makes sense? Mathematics already help us take many practices to an astonishing level of accuracy (practices being the exploration of space or the human body).
Posted by TotoTheToro 4 months ago
TotoTheToro
Yes, absolutely, thank you! :)
Posted by BrettBoelkens 4 months ago
BrettBoelkens
Toto the Toro, I'll debate you on the same subject if you so wish