Masterful
OceanMan1

Face masks for ugly people

Masterful

Masterful

Pro

I think that we should enforce a law that makes really ugly people (Like butt f**king ugly) wear masks.
The reason for this debate, is because I'm sick and tired of walking round the mall eating a sausage roll or something and then I see an ugly fu**er which makes me feel sick inside.
Also spanked face uglies scare the sheit out of me sometimes.

Make them wear masks, I say!

-If Vi_spex accepts this debate it's an automatic loss to him/her, because he can't debate for sheit.

No rules other than that.
Accept in round 1
OceanMan1

Con

I will accept your debate though request that you leave your personal feelings at home to ensure the professionalism of this debate.
Good Luck in the debate.
Masterful

Pro

Hello, thanks for accepting.

Before I start my argument, I would like to point out that in society, people already wear masks daily.
You see many women cover their faces with make-up, they mask their face with foundation to hide blemishes and spots. They are to some degree wearing a mask to hide their ugliness, or, if you'd rather word it differently, they're wearing masks to appear more attractive.

Why should ugly people wear masks?

People now a days are growing increasingly concerned with how they look, it makes many people self concious. I aim to restore confidence back into people by making it socially acceptable to go out wearing a mask.
If it were socially acceptable to wear masks then people with self confidence issues would improve drastically. Because these self concious people will no longer be self concious, I believe they will function better in society and improve society as a whole.
I would also make a second argument that it is unfair to have to walk down the street and get a fright by a real ugly f***er.
Have you ever eaten at a restaurant and looked across the table, only to see an inhuman crumpled face staring at you, and at that moment you feel sick inside and it ruins your meal?
Because I aim to fix this issue as well.

How will we determine who is ugly enough to have to wear a mask?

Everyone will be required to sign up to Facebook and post an image of themselves on-line. Then, a large voluntary team will sift through the enormous amount of pictures and black list the most ugly. These ugly people will be required to purchase a mask from a local store, and be required to wear it outside of the house.Those that don't post on Facebook will be fined heavily.

What sort of mask should uglies wear?

We would begin with very basic masks and gradually, I believe the design will evolve.
I think much like clothing, people will begin to use these masks fashionably. It will be up to companies to design and market masks. This, I believe will create hundreds of jobs and stimulate the economy.
To begin the production of the initial, basic masks, we would have to liaise with companies to produce them.

To sum up my opening argument.

After society has accepted these uglies wearing mask, It is my hope that companies design the masks to be attractive enough for regular people to want to wear. This way, ugly people will blend back seamlessly into society.

If my opponent disagrees with my proposal, then I would like him to propose a better solution to the "ugly epidemic" and the self confidence epidemic.

This source shows that self confidence is at an all time low.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

This source shows that the percentage of ugly peopel is quite high. It is objective of course.
http://www.returnofkings.com...
OceanMan1

Con

Rebuttal:
the very idea of searching facebook pages to "blacklist ugly people" is an incredibly ridiculous rule because of its many flaws such as the fact that having people be forced by law (i am assuming in this situation it will become a law) to post a picture of themselves online is a straight invasion of privacy. what if I am a person who does not want random strangers knowing what I look like? All I can assume this would do is keep children of facebook out of fear of pedophiles. Another point is that as soon as these people post a picture of themselves many as you call them "uglies" would be immediate targets for cyberbullying lowering their self esteem overall (probably leading to suicide.)

But I will now continue with my points

1. The idea of making ugly people wear masks is a horrible lesson to enforce. What do we teach our children? That people who are not beautiful should have their faces hidden? that anyone who is not perfect should be treated like an outcast?

2. The concept of this is similar to a racist mob lynching a black person. Think about it, a bigoted group of people punishing someone for just the way they look.

3. do you really think after years of ugly people being forced to wear masks it will become "fashionable"? all it will do is promote censorship, force people to hide away their true selves and lower their self-esteem even more which is the exact opposite of what you are trying to do with this.

Now you have asked for me to provide a better idea to solve the "ugly epidemic" and the self-confidence epidemic

Here are my ideas, the first to solve the "ugly epidemic" the second is to the self-confidence issue

1. doing nothing
now I'm sorry for how many meals have been ruined by "uglies" but I can't think of a better solution to
this problem than to do nothing. allow me to elaborate. If you saw a dog every day of your life than what would happen? Simple, you would become used to the site of seeing dogs, and would not be bothered by them. the same situation apply's too ugly people.

2. charities
because there are many different charities that support people going through these issues. off the top of my head are charities that help people going through suicidal thoughts like Beyond Blue, Lifeline and the Kids Helpline. others that help people gain self-confidence are charities like I AM BEAUTIFUL, and The Be Real Campaign.

Eagerly awaiting your response.
Masterful

Pro

Rebuttal.

You state that
"the very idea of searching facebook pages to "blacklist ugly people" is an incredibly ridiculous rule because of its many flaws such as the fact that having people be forced by law (i am assuming in this situation it will become a law)"

The technicalities will be refined, maybe this is not the perfect way to find out who is ugly, this is just a pitch after all.
In the grand scheme of things how we determine who is ugly and who isn't, is an easy task, as you can tell if someone is ugly just by looking at them. Maybe we should work out a less privacy invasive method, such as creating a government website where people post pictures of themselves and only government staff can see these pictures. This should solve all of your concerns. It's an easy solution really.

You state that
"The idea of making ugly people wear masks is a horrible lesson to enforce. What do we teach our children? That people who are not beautiful should have their faces hidden? that anyone who is not perfect should be treated like an outcast?"

I believe it will make it, so that ugly people are no longer cast out of society, by wearing these masks they are no longer an eye sore and will be judged by their personalties, rather than their faces. The idea is to blend ugly people into a neutral, new look. We should campaign to make these masks socially acceptable, so that children don't pick on masked children.
It's widely known that ugly people have less opportunity the world, than more attractive people. Here are my sources for that claim.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
https://www.quora.com...

You state that
"The concept of this is similar to a racist mob lynching a black person. Think about it, a bigoted group of people punishing someone for just the way they look."

Please don't compare the lynching black people to ugly people, because the lynching of black people is a severe topic.It's not the same thing. A black person would never have to wear a mask for being black, only if they were deemed ugly. I'm not going to lynch anyone, I simply wish to cure the self confidence issues in today's world and make it so everyone is, visually on equal footing.

You state that
"do you really think after years of ugly people being forced to wear masks it will become "fashionable"? all it will do is promote censorship, force people to hide away their true selves and lower their self-esteem even more which is the exact opposite of what you are trying to do with this."

The masks would become a permanent fixture of the wearer, it would allow people who wear these masks to develop a personality, one which they can develop without self confidence issues created by being ugly.
These masks would symbolise the marketing slogan which would be "Personality makes perfect" with cleaver marketing and smart mask design, we can inspire regular looking people to join the trend, until it becomes culture.
Only then, will society be unable to judge people by superficial standards, only then can we be truly equal.

Your solution, to the increase in self confidence issues is to do nothing.
So we have a serious problem and you wish to do nothing? I really don't want to hear your views on other topics......

Your final point is this
"charities
because there are many different charities that support people going through these issues. off the top of my head are charities that help people going through suicidal thoughts like Beyond Blue, Lifeline and the Kids Helpline. others that help people gain self-confidence are charities like I AM BEAUTIFUL, and The Be Real Campaign."

This charity I have linked, try to help people who want to commit. In their own article, they state that suicide is rising, so that means charities are ineffective at sorting out the suicide epidemic. It's also widely known that donating to charity is inefficient, as most of your money gets sucked up by admin fees.
http://www.befrienders.org...

Evidence to support claim, "charities are inefficient with money."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk...

Charity is not a solution. Out of me and my opponent, only my argument even attempts to find a solution. My opponent has stated he wishes to do nothing.
What has doing nothing ever achieved? I urge my opponent to leave the worlds problems to people who actually do something, we are the "doers"

The truth is, I'm am one of these "uglies"
I literally look like a blobfish
https://www.sciencenews.org...

PLEASE DON'T DENY ME MY MASK!

I hope you have enjoyed reading this debate, as much as I've enjoyed writing it.
OceanMan1

Con

Welp I give up

good debate
Posted by Masterful 1 year ago
Masterful
But yes good debate it was fun.
Posted by Masterful 1 year ago
Masterful
Wow dude, you had the upper hand.
LOL xD
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
MasterfulOceanMan1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.