kitgidley
Kvng_8

Fake tan is the equivalent of black face

Kvng_8
Started: 3/9/2019 Category: Fashion

kitgidley

Con

Fake tan is a cosmetic product, Used to change the colour of skin. Fake tan is not used to cause offence, Nor does it insult the heritage of those who are naturally tanned. It is used to look healthier. There has been a consensus in which users tend to say they feel happier having tanned as well. The effects are temporary. The case of Martina Big, A German model who permanently changed her skin colour in an attempt to change her cultural heritage is racist. Changing one's skin to look better for a party for the next 72 hours is not.
Kvng_8

Pro

Nor does it insult the heritage of those who are naturally tanned.
Are you referring to white people who tan in the sun or are you referring to black people?

It makes no sense to say if one changed their skin color permanently to be racist yet if another person changes it for the next three days is not racist. Either they are both racist or they both or not. Speaking of 72 hours, That's where you should have at least set the time to argue as. An hour is not enough time to argue, Just a future reference. Welcome to ddo!

On to my argument:

Look at black people who are skin bleaching themselves. Is that racist? No. Plus, Media makes it the norm to think "white is beautiful" "lighter skin is pretty" which tends to manipulate particularly some black women. Examples: Celebrities, Lil Kim and Tiny (Tameka Harris). Black people have been oppressed and dealt with so many things for so long, That if they skin bleach, It doesn't even make it racist since white people are seen is good or better than.

If a white person naturally tans their self in the sun, Does that make them racist? Or are you saying it only makes them racist if they spray tan?

Back to the skin bleaching thing, You really don't see white people saying "I want to be darker, I want to be black" well if that does happen, Then it's rare. Racism plays a big part in this idea of white is beautiful (as I said before) and black is not. This also ties into white privilege. Black facing is completely different than spray tanning.

Keeping it brief this round for the sake of time. Your turn.
kitgidley

Con

kitgidley forfeited this round.
Kvng_8

Pro

This is why a 1 hour time limit isn't enough time
kitgidley

Con

kitgidley forfeited this round.
Kvng_8

Pro

Unfortunate. I really wanted to debate this too.
Posted by billsands 3 years ago
billsands
That is absurd on its face
Posted by kitgidley 3 years ago
kitgidley
I'm afraid a lot of people are using the term "blackfish" in which people (mainly women) tan their skin regularly with the end result looking something more than Caucasian. Look it up.
Posted by BiggsBoonj 3 years ago
BiggsBoonj
nobody is saying that fake tan is blackface
Posted by K_Michael_Tolman 3 years ago
K_Michael_Tolman
Well, An indoor tan (from a tanning bed) I would say isn't racist. But I can definitely see someone using a spray-on tan to make a racist video or in mockery of darker colored skin. I guess that they could use any type of tan, Fake or real, To do so, But a spray-on tan is in my opinion the most likely way someone would use these things in a racist manner.
Posted by kitgidley 3 years ago
kitgidley
Both, I suppose.
Posted by K_Michael_Tolman 3 years ago
K_Michael_Tolman
What do you mean by fake tan? A spray-on tan, Or lying on a tanning bed to get a tan?
Vote Placed by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
kitgidleyKvng_8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited 2 Rounds which meant Con did not even explain Con's point.