Negotiate
11edwarj

Foreign affairs, specifically wars, are not our responsibility. ( United States)

11edwarj has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Negotiate

Pro

Rules:
1. Use reputable sources- preferably by credible authors with relevant education and/or credentials- which can be tough, no doubt, so I understand if you cannot find a source that meets this rule- as long as you can find good reason to have a source, it will be acceptable. Be sure to state these sources with a link or at the very least, a title, publisher and author.
2. Political views are welcome, as this is a debate that is meant to persuade or convince everyone of your argument. However, I want to make sure we aren't bashing each others views, as this is meant to be a respectful and welcoming debate- not a brawl. Bipartisanship is my goal, here.
3. Feel free to be as creative as you'd like with your arguments. Also, I encourage you to keep informal if you'd like- I intend on this debate being clean and easy-going, not a "hardcore political debate." I emphasize how this is meant to be a informal, clean and easy-going debate.
4. Anyone is welcome to debate with me, so long as they have completed one debate- simply for experience reasons.

Other than these rules, I welcome what you can present to everyone when it comes to your argument! Thanks for considering this debate!

Setup:
Each round gives 72 hours with a 8,000 character limit.
1st round) acceptance=> claim
2nd round) points
3rd round) counterpoints
4th round) conclusion
OPEN, no comment, voting for two weeks.

My claim is that our responsibility does NOT lie with foreign wars- to which we have been rather irresponsible by fighting in- but instead on issues back at home.

Thanks for considering everyone, have a good week and feel free to message me or comment at any point with thoughts, questions and/or suggestions!
11edwarj

Con

You have presented no evidence for your claims.
Negotiate

Pro

My apologies if I haven't covered this already- the first round of each of my debates is put aside for your acceptance of the debate and your claim. I have no intentions of providing any evidence in the first round of my debates as the first round is more or so a "warm up." Nevertheless, I will present my points and evidence accordingly, this round:

*Note: because I will be referring to specific sections and clauses of the Constitution throughout this debate, here is a link that takes you to the exact copy of the Constitution- typed out in full, including the twenty seven Amendments.
http://constitutionus.com...

Point 1: As I have previously stated and hinted at in my claim, the Constitution was founded on the principle of nationality, rather than on foreign affairs. The reasoning behind this lies in the Constitution as well as the Founding Father's- each being apart of the formation of the Constitution- public beliefs on foreign affairs, specifically wars. To be quite frank, the Founding Fathers have bluntly stated that foreign affairs are not in our country's best interest. Take George Washington, John Quincy Adams, and Thomas Jefferson's quotes into consideration- each copied here as follows (1)-

"Europe has a set of primary interests, which have to us none, or very remote relation. Hence, she must be engaged in frequent controversies, the causes of which are essentially foreign to our concerns. Hence, therefore, it must be unwise in us to implicate ourselves, by artificial ties, in the ordinary vicissitudes of her politics, or the ordinary combinations and collusions of her friendships or enmities." -George Washington, Farewell Address (1796)
> Here we see that Washington believes it is "unwise" to dabble in foreign affairs- to concern ourselves with creating "artifical ties" with other nations, specifically those of Europe at the time. To put it simply, one can say with honesty that Washington opposed foreign allies for his country.

"America has abstained from interference in the concerns of others, even when the conflict has been for principles to which she clings"She goes not abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own." -John Quincy Adams, Speech Delivered in Washington DC (July 4, 1821)
> Here we see that Adams does not believe in searching for foreign nations, or "monsters," to "destroy." In other words, he tells us that his country is not one that searches for war.

"I deem [one of] the essential principles of our government, and consequently [one] which ought to shape its administration"peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none." -Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address
> Here we see that Jefferson believes in a government that there should be harmony between nations, but not by "entangling alliances" with them.

Point 2: As for the Constitution, no where does it address how we shall find war with other nations. Yes, indeed it does address a proper and well formed militia, but I challenge you to find a clause written that asks us to do such a thing. Rather, it is written that we should be prepared for "invasion."

"The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion" -Article 4, Section 4

(1) Each of these quotes were found at this link. Yes, this may be considered bias as it is with the Constitution Party, however, I will assure you that I did what I could to keep objective, only having written and analyzed each quote.
https://www.constitutionparty.com...

Point 3: You may ask why the Constitution is of certain significance to this debate, even without the consideration of my claim. Let it be known- the Constitution is not but a mere document- it is the Supreme Law of the Land, as addressed in the Supremacy Clause typed below. We are not to treat it as a piece of parchment but exactly this- a superior rule of law- one that is meant to be followed by the nation as a whole. The Founding Fathers would not have written it had it not been out of good reason and intentions.

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding."- Article 6, Clause 2

Thanks for the read, good luck to you, and have a good day!
Please feel free to message me, comment, or address any concerns within the next few rounds or at any point in time. I am always happy and willing to discuss!
Posted by Negotiate 3 years ago
Negotiate
Just to let you know, I am happy to post this debate again if you would like to finish it. Please, just send me a comment or message and I'll bring it back up for us ( with a longer reply time if needed.) Thanks and have a great week!