Anonymous
Phenenas

Fortnight is an example of gun violence

Phenenas has forfeited round #3.
Started: 3/25/2018 Category: Games
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Pro

Yes, people are literally in hunger games fighting for survival, shooting others and gaining points for it.
Phenenas

Con

My opponent has chosen to argue that "fortnight" is an example of gun violence, which is an easily disprovable hypothesis. For you see, "fortnight" is a word that has little, if anything, to do with firearms or violence. Let three definitions speak for me:

"A period of two weeks." -Oxford English Dictionary [1]

"A period of fourteen days ; two weeks" -Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage [2]

"a period of two weeks" -Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary [3]

These well-respected dictionaries seem to be in absolute concordance. A fortnight is a period of time, fourteen days to be exact. What this has to do with killing for sport, I don't know, but it seems that my opponent engages in some pretty questionable activities every two weeks. They should probably be investigated.

1. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com...
2. https://www.merriam-webster.com...
3. https://dictionary.cambridge.org...

Pro

President Donald Trump said Thursday during a White House meeting on school safety that the nation needs to address what young people are seeing.

"I'm hearing more and more people saying the level of violence on video games is really shaping young people's thoughts," he said. "And then you go the further step, and that's the movies. You see these movies -- they're so violent, and yet a kid is able to see the movie if sex isn't involved." Killing, though, is involved, he said. His remarks were dismissed by Chris Grady, a survivor of the February 14 shootings at Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida: "I grew up playing video games ... first-person shooter games, and I would never, ever dream of taking the lives of any of my peers." In Munich, Germany, an 18-year-old gunman who killed nine people in July 2016 was a fan of first-person shooter video games, according to reports. This detail led many to worry that violent video games may be negatively affecting their own children.
What is the truth?
Both the American Psychological Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics take a firm stance against children and teens playing violent video games. The psychological group reports that more than 90% of children in the United States play video games. Among kids between the ages of 12 and 17, the number rises to 97%. More important, 85% or more of video games on the market contain some form of violence. The titles seem to say it all: "Manhunt," "Thrill Kill," "Gears of War" and "Mortal Kombat." However, even the seemingly benign "Pokemon Go" requires players to go to battle.
Phenenas

Con

Now my opponent has started going off about...video games? This is clearly off-topic, because the name of the debate is clearly talking about the fortnight, which as we established, is a period of two weeks. Even if this debate were about video games causing violence, their evidence is suspect. They point out that 97% of teens aged 12-17 play video games, and yet how many of them engage in gun violence? A microscopic percentage, I'd imagine. They also say that the American Psychological Association takes a "firm stance" against children playing violent games. First of all, where's your source? Second, the APA isn't infallible. Until the 70s, they classified homosexuality as a "mental disorder", which is clearly based on archaic prejudices and has no evidence to support it. [1] This may be a case of the same.

But none of that matters, because as I said, my opponent is off-topic and the win goes to me by default. I would advise my opponent that next time, they should be more careful about laying down rules and definitions in Round 1. And to watch their spelling.

1. https://www.psychiatry.org...

Pro

The game "Fortnite" has become possily the most popular game in the world over recent months, particularly due to it"s "battle royale" mode " so much so that mainstream shows such as Good Morning America are now picking up on the craze.
After the recent comments from President Trump about violent video games, the media has been keen to analyse Trump"s and other politician"s claims about the affects of playing games, especially those that involve guns and fighting.

Read this for more info:
https://www.dexerto.com...
Posted by Derplord45 3 years ago
Derplord45
that moment when the pro can't spell "Fortnite" right =)
Posted by darkwolf 3 years ago
darkwolf
Hmm pro has yet to present any evidence, about whether it is an example of gun violence all he's done is repeat what trump has said, and talk about how many people play the game. That's not how you give an argument dude
Posted by MasterMewtwo 3 years ago
MasterMewtwo
If you mean the game, I think it's spelled Fortnite. Eh, good luck anyway.