BertrandsTeapot
HaydenCR

Free will is an illusion

BertrandsTeapot

Pro

One cannot be the author of their own conscious desires or thoughts. One cannot have control over their wants and needs and impulses. Any decision you try to trace back can only be traced back to some unconscious process over which you had no control.

“How can we be “free” as conscious agents if everything that we consciously intend is caused by events in our brain that we do not intend and of which we are entirely unaware? ” - Sam Harris

"Man can do what he wills but he cannot will what he wills. " - Arthur Schopenhauer
HaydenCR

Con

I see your point, But I disagree.

1. On your first point of "one cannot be author of their own conscious desires or thoughts". I don't quite understand that, Becuase no one is telling/forcing someone to think a specific way about something. For example: if i'm walking down the street and I all of a sudden want to think about birds and their are no birds in sight or anyone telling me to do so means I chose to think about birds which constitutes as free will as I have the leisure to freely think
BertrandsTeapot

Pro

I fear you are fundamentally misunderstanding the argument.

To your example, The point is that you can't possible control the fact that you "all of a sudden want to think about birds. " That desire arose from somewhere outside of your consciousness. Any reason you might give for thinking about birds, Selecting THAT reason to think of something wasn't according to your free will. If you honestly trace this or any thought process back, You will see it had nothing to do with volition.
HaydenCR

Con

But that's the thing, YOU trigger this outside conscious desire that you keep talking about, Becuase its something you want to think about and it triggers when you want it to. It's not random this desire is brought out at a certain time during a certain event that activates when your brain wants it to.

2. You Keep talking about an outside force, But you haven't explained what that entails. Your arguement is" there is no free will, But an outside force. " How are you going to prove that?
BertrandsTeapot

Pro

That makes very little sense. It should be patently obvious that you can"t trigger anything outside of your own conscious. Yes you can throw a rock but only because the desire to do so arose in your mind.

"Outside" could include everything rooted in nature/nurture which are largely internal. HOWEVER you had no control over the parents to whom you were born or how they raised you.

There"s determinism, Randomness, Etc. Happy to discuss in another debate but here I"m just dismantling free will.
HaydenCR

Con

You just said it right there! "Outside could include everything rooted in nature/nurture which are largely internal". You literally just stated that everything outside of what we know is interbal meaning these are things within our own concious thus showing it's our own minds triggering what we think abouy at anytime also you stilk never explain an unknown mechanism as to our free will. Choosing my parents literally has nothing to do with free will as sperm you are not a body of conscious so. .
Posted by BertrandsTeapot 3 years ago
BertrandsTeapot
I"m Con in that debate buddy. Nice try though
Posted by Leaning 3 years ago
Leaning
Is that wrong really?
Posted by hi234 3 years ago
hi234
http://www. Debate. Org/debates/Free-will-is-not-an-illusion/3/

You literally used the same quotes to justify the opposite in a different debate.