NYStateofMined
BertrandsTeapot

Free will is not an illusion

BertrandsTeapot

NYStateofMined

Pro

I'll allow Con to open
BertrandsTeapot

Con

I believe this is simple.

One cannot be the author of their own conscious desires or thoughts. One cannot have control over their wants and needs and impulses. Any decision you try to trace back can only be traced back to some unconscious process over which you had no control.
NYStateofMined

Pro

Thanks for the quick response, but isn't this common sense. Like, obviously we have free will. I'm free. I choose what I do freely.
BertrandsTeapot

Con

This is one of the most common responses to the free will debate and speaks to why it is such a powerful illusion. It feels as if we do have the will power to change our futures...that if we were to go back in time we could have chosen to do otherwise.

But, in reality, you have not provided any real evidence aside from saying you just "feel" like you have free will. The reality is that you are a product of nature and/or nurture...neither of which you had control over. The universe is just a collection of molecules moving about, colliding with one another, many of which form neural pathways in your brain that lead to what you experience as thoughts and consciousness.

Here's a great article from the Atlantic:

https://www.theatlantic.com...
Posted by Ockham 3 years ago
Ockham
I think that we have free will, but I have to admit that the determinist side won this debate. Pro did not present much of a case. Introspection is a good argument for free will, but Pro did not rebut Con's objections adequately.
Posted by mariog 3 years ago
mariog
I'm new to the forum so I don't know if I can join the debate or not. I'd like to say free will is a topic that's centered around the way in which humans perceive the universe. we'd first we'd have to determine the meaning of time in order to really talk about free will and time is a linear experience for us. However, one way to describe time is that it's infinite. It has no start or end and does not depend on a consciousness to perceive it to exist. If we take this notion of time then the logical conclusion is that in an infinite time spectrum with constant chaos then there exists an infinite number of permutations of every scenario and each permutation will be repeated forever. Does this allow for free will? I'm not so sure
Vote Placed by RMTheSupreme 3 years ago
RMTheSupreme
NYStateofMinedBertrandsTeapotTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro doesn't EVEN TRY TO uphold BoP. Con used a source. End of discussion.