Attention: Debate.org is closing and the website will be shut down on June 5, 2022. New Topics can no longer be posted and Sign Up has been disabled. Existing Topics will still function as usual until the website is taken offline. Members can download their content by using the Download Data button in My Account.
omar2345
Adrian14

Free will

omar2345

Con

This can be about two things and would like to focus on only one of them.
I would like my opponent to choose where this free will debate would go.

Free will: the power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion. (Google: Free will define)
Round 1 my opponent can also decide a definition. If I do not accept I am sure I can think of a compromise.

Option 1:
Free will exists. I am Con to this.

Option 2:
Free will is more beneficial in a society than not having it. I am also Con to this.
(With this I am free will is not helpful whereas Pro is free will is helpful. I or my opponent will not be stating its existence here instead stating how beneficial it is in whatever way they see it to being beneficial)

I added the category philosophy but it can be Religious debate if the person wants to and would like someone who supports free will to be my opponent.
I also would like my opponent to refrain from straw manning my position since I haven't give one apart from against free will instead this will be solely about free will. Not atheism, Determinism or whatever ism it might be.
Hopefully you accept this and make the debate centered to free will.

Ask questions in the comment section if you are unsure about something.
Adrian14

Pro

I am a Christian and believes in free will but I am going to argue that under your worldview, Atheism, We do not have free will.

There are only two ways that this universe could have been created; the supernatural, Meaning God, Or the natural, Meaning physics, Chemistry, Etc. Since your worldview does not include God as part of the equation, All we are left with is the natural. Therefore, Your worldview necessitates the working of the natural, Thus, I"m only working within that. The worldview of the natural consists of the physics, Laws of chemistry, Etc. Our brain works on the physics, Laws of chemistry, Etc. If that"s all our brain is, Then we don"t have free will. When one chemical state in our brain leads to another chemical state in our brain, Then our reactions are just those chemical reactions. They are not our decisions, They are just chemical reactions.
omar2345

Con

First of all thank you for taking up the challenge. Second of all you did not accept the rules. Clearly defined and if you had a problem which I also stated comment it before accepting the debate.

Rule that you broke: I also would like my opponent to refrain from straw manning my position since I haven't give one apart from against free will instead this will be solely about free will. Not atheism, Determinism or whatever ism it might be.

If you had a problem: Ask questions in the comment section if you are unsure about something.

I will still continue and when the debate is over will re-upload it in hopes someone does accept the rules or comments a problem.

I am going to argue that under your worldview, Atheism, We do not have free will.
This is a strawman. Sure you can assume this given debates and what I state but I did say refrain from straw manning. Hopefully this does not continue instead you stick to the topic free will not even mentioning atheism.

There are only two ways that this universe could have been created; the supernatural, Meaning God, Or the natural, Meaning physics, Chemistry, Etc.
Off topic again. I wanted it to specifically talk about free will yet you bring the universes creation. You could have asked are we going to assume certain things and followed by your questions in Round 2 I would have answered them. Bear in mind this could have been asked in the comment section.

Since your worldview does not include God as part of the equation, All we are left with is the natural.
When does your argument start and your story stop? Your worldview is what I said refrain from. Address free will specifically instead of what I could be.

Therefore, Your worldview necessitates the working of the natural, Thus, I"m only working within that.
No you can include God as part of the equation if you want if you to picked the beneficial part which was option 2.

The worldview of the natural consists of the physics, Laws of chemistry, Etc. Our brain works on the physics, Laws of chemistry, Etc. If that"s all our brain is, Then we don"t have free will.
What is this? I said defend free will not tell me how I am wrong. This can't be your opening argument because all you are doing is rebutting arguments that I haven't even made.

When one chemical state in our brain leads to another chemical state in our brain, Then our reactions are just those chemical reactions. They are not our decisions, They are just chemical reactions.
No where here have you defended your side which is pro free will or pro free will is beneficial. Still do not know what it is you are choosing. Option 1 or Option 2.

Since I do not want the next Round being another acceptance/clarification Round. I pick the option because Pro did not pick one. Option 1 would be what I am picking.

Free will does not exist

Argument 1:
By definition we cannot have free will because we operate with constraints. This can be seen with being born. We did not choose to be born instead due to a choice made by our parents we were born. Even if you just say picking to eat an apple or an orange is a choice we made with free will. I would say that is based on past experiences to which one you prefer, DNA that was given to by your parents when life started which all had a play in part of choosing between the apple or the orange. With this in mind I have shown we were not born because of free will and even the most smallest choices are influenced by many factors that are restraints that limit to how free a persons will can be.

I will stick with one argument and bring more in if need be.
Adrian14

Pro

Yes, There are decisions that we can"t make, Such as being born, But there are others that we can make, Such as going outside. All I have to do to win this debate is prove there is one instance where we have free will
omar2345

Con

But there are others that we can make, Such as going outside.
That person who just walked outside. That wasn't the first action they ever did. They can be a man or a woman. Could be going to work. Going to see friends. Going to get groceries. Went outside for a smoke etc. Factors for going outside you have clearly missed out. A person doesn't just go outside instead they have past experiences that give him reason why they should go outside. That person has a job which is why he is going outside.

All I have to do to win this debate is prove there is one instance where we have free will
If going outside is an example then you are wrong. You have missed out who the person is, Why they are doing it etc. Leaving this out paints the picture as if the first this person has done nothing up until going outside. That isn't the first thing they have done. They have done other things which led him to going outside. It is never as simple as you are saying it.

When you provide an example give me some information about a person. If you can't think of one just think of something you did which you did because of your free will. Do also say why you did it, How etc.
Adrian14

Pro

Adrian14 forfeited this round.
omar2345

Con

Adrian14's account is no longer active?
Guess that means he is not able to post his arguments resulting in a forfeit.
Adrian14

Pro

Adrian14 forfeited this round.